300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland PD Tests?

I am just about to that the written test for Oakland PD this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was anymore difficult than say the Contra Costa County Sheriffs test, cause I passed that one and it wasn't bad? Or are they all just pretty much the same? Also have any of you herd how hard they are in the Oral interview? Thanks for any responses I get. One last Question and that is how bad is Oakland to work in?

Originally posted by Sam Spade
    I am just about to that the written test for Oakland PD this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew whether it was anymore difficult than say the Contra Costa County Sheriffs test, cause I passed that one and it wasn't bad? Or are they all just pretty much the same? Also have any of you herd how hard they are in the Oral interview? Thanks for any responses I get. One last Question and that is how bad is Oakland to work in?

Well all California test are based on the same requirements, so essentially no. I think that CoCo has a map reading exercise, but OPD does not. Its just basic grammar, puncuation, reading. Pretty simple stuff. Oral interview with OPD consist's of a civilian from Oakland, Sgt, and a regular Officer. They will probably test your personality, by playing good cop/bad cop, someone will tell you your not good enough, and you should just give up to see how you react. Its pretty simple, read up on scenario questions, and work on interview skills. Oakland is very understaffed and is extremely busy! The pay and benefits are great, but its a busy city to work in, your nights will usually be call to call. Oakland and a tarnished past that they are trying to move on from, but the community still holds on to some resentment regarding the delay in getting an Officer to a call. For a while they were catergorizing their Code 3's by importance because they were so backed up with calls. Try and get in on a Ride-a-long, and also go to the practice Physical and I believe they have a Oral board study session, check the website.

Their turnover rate is very low, because of pay and benefits, and everyone I know that works their loves it. Good luck.

-Mike
    “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” (John Wayne)

Comment

i took the written for CCSO 2 weeks ago (i'm assuming you were probably there with me) and i was listening to some guys talk about OPD's while we were waiting for our results. they said it was a lot easier compared to CCSOs. My understanding of OPDs test is that its a regular POST test you'd take at most agencies, so it'd probably be a good idea to look over the practice test on the POST website. If you can do grammar and spelling stuff, you should be ok.

i was going to take oakland's this saturday too but they are rushing through the hiring process in like 3 months (instead of the traditional ~6 months) these days, and i'm not willing to commit until after i graduate college. same with ccso, i made it to the polygraph then was told no defering academies, try again later...o well.

so if you've got a good head on your shoulders i'd say you'd have a job with ccso in a another month and oakland in like 3 months. good luck.

Comment

Search "opd" and look at previous posts.

71 homicides as of July 11th..unable to get today's numbers.

Oakland's Murder Rate Is Soaring Almost Double Last Year At Same Time
        By Vic Lee

July 11 - KGO - Oakland is dealing with a soaring murder rate that's almost double the number of homicides right now compared to this time last year.

The Sunday evening just before the July 4th holiday there was another murder -- this one in west Oakland. This time it was a 14-year-old boy on his way to a barbeque who was shot to death.

Jaee Logan was a promising football player who appeared to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Dorothy Thompson, victim's grandmother: "I don't know who shot him or why they'd shoot him."

In Oakland, shrines are becoming all too familiar. They appear after the yellow crime tapes are gone. So far this year, there have been 71 homicides in Oakland -- 30 more than last year this time. The graveyard display next to this church is sobering testimony.

There may be more murders, but the profiles of both suspects and victims and the way they die have changed little. The killers and those killed are usually young African American men and the victims' last breaths were taken mostly on sidewalks.

Off. Roland Holmgren, Oakland police spokesman: "Most of our homicides happen on the streets and most of our homicides happen due to a gun."

Behind the trigger? The usual causes. Drugs and gangs.

This year, the face of those gangs is changing. Lt. Ersie Joyner, Oakland police homicide: "Hispanic gangs are up 20 to 25 percent. The victims are also young male Hispanics."

In 1992, homicides reached record levels in Oakland. By July of that year, 106 people had been murdered, up more than 40 percent from the previous year. City officials considered drastic measures like curfews, street barricades and check points. The FBI and the state attorney general sent help to Oakland police. Likewise, federal narcotics agents have now joined forces with Oakland police who are now targeting high crime areas.

Off. Roland Holmgren, Oakland police spokesman: "This strategic area command gives command the flexibility to move officers throughout the city to attack hot spots." That strategy appears to be paying off with other crimes like rapes and domestic violence.

Police have a problem in solving these crimes, which is common in other cities as well, and that's the reluctance of witnesses to come forward.

The city of Oakland is just 23 shy of last year's record for the entire year.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Update: 75 homicides

OAKLAND -- Oakland's homicide pace has reached a frightening pace -- one violent death every three days. Overnight, two people were killed in separate shootings, increasing the city's homicide toll to 75 so far this year. Last year, Oakland recorded 90 homicides in all of last year.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
            Update: 75 homicides

OAKLAND -- Oakland's homicide pace has reached a frightening pace -- one violent death every three days. Overnight, two people were killed in separate shootings, increasing the city's homicide toll to 75 so far this year. Last year, Oakland recorded 90 homicides in all of last year.
            don't worry(?) Oak town will get its 100+ before the end of the yr - as Granpa Freeman( "the Boondocks" ) would say, "Now jus' what the hell is going on 'round here?".......And guess what, no matter how many cops you throw at the problem, the damn community has to say NO and stop this sh*t
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Seventy eight and counting!

Comment

what is the OPD hiring process like? I'm looking all over Cali right now, so i'm just kind of wondering. Anyone have any pro's/con's of living in the bay area?
                "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
                "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

Originally posted by NDubs55
                  what is the OPD hiring process like? I'm looking all over Cali right now, so i'm just kind of wondering. Anyone have any pro's/con's of living in the bay area?
                  Benefits and pay are great in Oakland, the community isn't behind the Officer's 100% so their is a downside. They are very understaffed, and you will be running call to call. OPD has a lot of action and will keep you busy all night. You might want to be able to get out of your car and talk to the public, in Oakland you wont have an oppurtunity because of the calls. Think about what your priorities are. CoCo I heard has the process moving very quickly, but maybe you don't want to work for a Sheriff's Department. With CoCo and ACSO you can get transferred to work patrol in area's that are some what busy, if community policing is more your thing. CoCo contracts with Danville, San Ramon, Richmond, and i'm sure i'm leaving someone town out. ACSO contracts with Dublin, and patrols Castro Valley, part of Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and part of Oakland. Hope that helps a little.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Conallron
                    CoCo contracts with Danville, San Ramon, Richmond, and i'm sure i'm leaving someone town out. ACSO contracts with Dublin, and patrols Castro Valley, part of Hayward, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, and part of Oakland. Hope that helps a little.-Mike
                    CCCSO has contract cities in Lafayette, Orinda, Oakley, San Ramon and Danville. CCCSO patrols North Richmond as it's an unincorporated part of the City of Richmond, it's not a stand-alone city. Richmond has their own police department.

Comment

Can anyone guess on the time line it takes for the hiring process? Like months or whatever? I just tested with Chicago and one of the Sgt.'s told me don't be surprised if it is about a two year wait. to me that's absurd. You gotta wait two years just to start the academy? weak. But thanks for the info. keep it coming.

Comment

With ACSO your looking at about a 6 - 7 month timeframe. I heard with CoCo they were processing in about 3 months, and Oakland I believe in the 6 - 7 month range.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see how this goes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12958 users online. 507 members and 12451 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X