Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chula vista pd

Hello everyone,
    I'm about to test for the CVPD this month and would appreciate any info or tips you can provide for me concerning the test as well as the dept. Thanks in advance.
    Marites

Good luck on the test!

Chula Vista is the second largest city in San Diego County, I think they are one of the better paid as well - they have a very good reputation.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

The departments authorized staffing level is now 251 and is going to continue to grow as the eastern portion of the city booms. There is a new mall, new freeway and three new high schools set for this year with tons and tons of new homes over the next ten years or so. For base pay I believe we are second in the county right now behind Oceanside (third if you count Escondido's ten year longevity pay as base pay but I havent looked at the numbers in a while so that may have changed) and we have almost four years left on our current contract with a 4% raise in January. From what I have heard we are known for having a very tough FTO program, but I think it's very fair. If you have any specific questions or concerns let me know.

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 01:51 AM.

Comment

chula vista pd passing score

Hey Fuzz,
          Would you know what the passing score is for the test or is it just pass/fail? Also, do you know how many recruits they may be trying to hire? Just like to know what my chances are of getting in. Thanks in advance....
          Marites

Comment

The written score is a numerical score...not a pass/fail. The candidates with the higher scores are sent on to the oral board interviews. Those that score well enough in the oral board continue to backgrounds. We have been hiring like crazy for the past two years or so with up to ten recruits in each academy and we have also been hiring a bunch of laterals. The number of laterals in the pipeline and how close we are to being fully staffed will determine how many will be hired. I don't know exactly how many positions are currently opened, but we just got approval from city council recently to add several more positions and more will be added later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by jfoote85
              Hey I will be there testing also. Just a short question for you CV guys as well. Do most Chula Vista officers live in south county? I only ask because I used to live in the Carlsbad, Encinitas area back in high school and would like to live there one day again. Just curious?
              Officer in most of the departments in this county live wherever they can afford to. I have a 50+ mile commute to work so I am further away than Carlsbad if that helps you any. The drive stinks sometimes, but I'm OK with it. Some of the SDPD guys I know were living in Murrietta and Temecula and still driving to Southern Division to work.

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 01:51 AM.

Comment

From what i've heard their pat test consists of running an obstacle course, this is the same course SDPD runs, and then an additional 1.5 mile run.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05
                    From what i've heard their pat test consists of running an obstacle course, this is the same course SDPD runs, and then an additional 1.5 mile run.
                    If it is the same course as SDPD then you can download or stream a video of someone doing the course on SDPD website.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05
                      It is the same as the SDPD obstacle course at Mira Mar college and yes there is a 1.5 mile run in under 15 minutes. The obstacle course consists of three walls with the highest being six foot, dummy drag, running down/up stairs,a short sprint and some other minor obstacles/cone patterns in a certain time...I think its two minutes but not sure. If you are worried about passing the physical test you need to start running/working out now before it's too late.

Comment

When I ran the course with SDPD the time given to complete the course was 3 minutes 30 seconds and most people that had issues with the course seemed to have trouble getting over the 6 foot wall.

Comment

Originally posted by knecht
                          When I ran the course with SDPD the time given to complete the course was 3 minutes 30 seconds and most people that had issues with the course seemed to have trouble getting over the 6 foot wall.
                          Yeah, that wall almost got me! There are three types of people... those who are actually in decent shape and go right over, those who think they're in decent shape who hit the wall and have to work to get over, and those who aren't in shape at all and the wall kills them :-) I was in the second category... I felt I was doing OK until I stumbled over the 4' wall. I hit the 6' and died. Some people had spent way too much time trying to climb over, so i said eff it, went back to the 4' and got another running start at it. made it over, and finished with a 3:14

IIRC, you do get some rest between the obstacle course and the 1.5 mile run for CVPD. But no amount of rest would have been sufficient for me.

Take heed! If you are applying for SDPD / CVPD, that course is no joke. It looks and sounds easy, but if you aren't in shape you 9and they!) will know it.

Comment

Running stairs and doing squats (dummy drag) will help for the course as well. You can go out there and practice it pretty much any time.
                            Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Last edited by jfoote85; 08-25-2011, 01:52 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7612 users online. 413 members and 7199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X