300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuczus
    oh dont get me wrong, i dont want to fold that easily. I can re-take the oral in 3 months. they said they wanted me to try agian. i really have to think about it though.

i went to LA for 6 days. i stayed at the Kawada hotel (on Hill St. and 2nd St.) and that cost me over 600$, not counting the food, trasportation, plane ticket, and all the little things. that trip set me back a little. being LAPD has always been a dream of mine and getting the letter "Not Selected" kind of hit me hard. i know i could prepare for the oral better.

ill have to see if i can save up some cash, i really want to go back and try it again.
    sorry to hear that. I hope you try again and also apply at other departments .

Comment

Originally posted by Machito
      sorry to hear that. I hope you try again and also apply at other departments .
      Smart-and the right answer! when you guys come out to L.A. ,take the time first on O.com and look at the "other" local Depts.Also, check off all the "Sub depts" listed within the City of L.A. ( LAXPD,GSDPD,PORT PD)-all good alternative choices,and you can still inter city transfer to/from LAPD if you want,without losing retirement time,pay,or vacation..........
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

curious....

Originally posted by sir112
        in the process with LAPD Detention Officer. i received a letter today by personnel dept. i received a 90% on my evaluation of overall qualification. passed my written, typing, PAT, and essay test. i am ranked #1 on the eligible list. 11 candidates scored the same as me. and no other candidates scored higher.
        sir112- did you used to post on "cops2be"?????
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

i know i could prepare for the oral better.

ill have to see if i can save up some cash, i really want to go back and try it again.
          Save up the cash,collect can/bottles,due extra work shifts,hit those "buddies" that owe you $10/$20 bucks up,etc!!!!(plan it around when another hopeful like Hart21 or Machito is going out here-you can split the cost!!)-also ask for help- you've got plenty of other "guys" from the so.Cal area that can give you pointers on oral interview board etiquette,how to answer a question,how to present yourself-LAPD is NOT the hardest oral board you can face out here! "talk" to guys like Fiveofromsocal,Hbliam,L-1,LAcopper,etc-they are add'l resources...

Comment

The oral is the easiest part of the whole deal IMO.

-Integrity questions..the answer is always that you will turn the other guy in. Period. No exception. "I've worked too hard to get this job to lose it over some other guys actions." works well and is the truth for most of us.
            -Know the size of the department, the size of the City, name of the Cheif and a Councilmember or two.
            -Have an answer for why you want to be a cop other then "I want to help people".
            -Have an answer for what have youu done to prepare for being a cop. Reserve, college degree, community academy, anything.....
            -While you can state that you know that being a cop is a financially secure job with a good retirement leave it at that. No money talk. No asking questions about vacation, getting off of patrol as soon as possible, etc.
            -Goals question. Patrol to learn all I can and maybe in ten years or so K9 or motors or something......you may have a more ambitious plan but the oral is not the best place to broadcast that. You may be sitting with a detective or sergeant that worked their *** off for 15 years to get to that spot.
            -Diversity question. Be prepared for one.

Other then that if you have half a personality you will do fine.

Also: ALWAYS WEAR A SUIT. To everything. Dropping off an app and you will be in the lobby for 30 seconds? Wear a suit. Going to your medical and you pretty much have the job? Wear a suit. Dropping off that one form your backgrounder needs? Wear a suit. Unless instructed otherwise (like for the PT test)...wear a suit. That's the first way to not be taken seriously during the process. If they say wear a suit but business casual is also fine...wear a suit.

Comment

oh dont get me wrong, i dont want to fold that easily. I can re-take the oral in 3 months. they said they wanted me to try agian. i really have to think about it though.

i went to LA for 6 days. i stayed at the Kawada hotel (on Hill St. and 2nd St.) and that cost me over 600$, not counting the food, trasportation, plane ticket, and all the little things. that trip set me back a little. being LAPD has always been a dream of mine and getting the letter "Not Selected" kind of hit me hard. i know i could prepare for the oral better.

sorry to hear about that Kuczus..But if you can save enough money up you should really try again.

Also thanks hbliam for the heads up on tips for the oral

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8363 users online. 357 members and 8006 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X