300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Central Valley Officers?????

My goal is Law Enforcment, not for the pay but for the benefit of education,training and growth and development. Could you take a look at my previous posts and tell me what my chances are.
    I know I am pretty screwed, so I am hoping to get hired as a cadet (if they even take me) so I can prove to the department that I am that ideal candidate.

If you want us to give an opinion you'll have to give us the info. Don't ask us to research your background by reviewing your posts.
    If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Sorry for not providing the information

I am one who was a clean background, but have done some things in the past, that when asked will be honest. I spoke with a recruiter and told him and he said that I should be okay. My goal is to get hired as a cadet at a department. I have my AA and need 1-2.5 semesters left to get my BA (if any of my classes are transferable). My AA is in corrections and my BA will be in Criminology with a emphasis on Law Enforcement, or maybe even Victimology.
      Okay here it goes, My husband was 17 when I met him, and I was 21. We have been married for a year and together for 3 years. We have a child, who was pretty much made when he was 17 but born when he was 18. My credit isnt perfect and not to bad, I have been working really hard on it, all the bad stuff was when I was 18. That is fixed and you can look at it and tell I have matured financially. But my overall credit is still bad and those items will fall off in a year or two. I havent done any hard drugs but have done marijuana in the past.
      My goal is to get on as a cadet for a few years (2-3) and hopefully get sponsored to go to the academy and get hired on. During this time I will have obtained my BA, credit should be close to perfect and 4-5 years would have gone by from my previous drug encounter. I am seeking advice, to see if I have a chance.

Comment

Try Turlock PD, they hire most of thier cadets and put them through the academy.
        Chief Wiggum: This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Originally posted by t_shaq15
          My goal is Law Enforcment, not for the pay but for the benefit of education,training and growth and development. Could you take a look at my previous posts and tell me what my chances are.
          I know I am pretty screwed, so I am hoping to get hired as a cadet (if they even take me) so I can prove to the department that I am that ideal candidate.
          Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. You'll have your B.A., have you thought of becoming a Probation Officer? Great job. We're armed, plain clothes, full arrest powers, work daily with our S.O. and PD brothers on task forces, warrant services, etc. Stanislaus County Probation Department is great. Most Probation Officer positions do require a Bachelors Degree. I've been a P.O. for 6 years...love it. Just food for thought. Good luck wherever you go...and be safe! FYI, the marijuana experimentation wouldn't be a big deal with most Probation Departments.

Comment

Thanks

That was one of the most positive posts I have seen. Thanks a lot. Probation is a choice of mine. I need 36 more units before I receive my bachelors (criminology-law enforcement), should it be psychology or sociology. Well I am currently in the beginning testing process for Probation Correctional Officer, in the mean time-if hired or not, I will be taking online classes to receive my BA. That should take me less than two years, because I would have to go part-time. I then want to transition into a Probabtion or Parole Officer. Does that sound good? I do not mind relocating and would like to move up North. I am keeping my options open at the moment, just waiting to see whats next.

Comment

Originally posted by t_shaq15
              That was one of the most positive posts I have seen. Thanks a lot. Probation is a choice of mine. I need 36 more units before I receive my bachelors (criminology-law enforcement), should it be psychology or sociology. Well I am currently in the beginning testing process for Probation Correctional Officer, in the mean time-if hired or not, I will be taking online classes to receive my BA. That should take me less than two years, because I would have to go part-time. I then want to transition into a Probabtion or Parole Officer. Does that sound good? I do not mind relocating and would like to move up North. I am keeping my options open at the moment, just waiting to see whats next.
              No problem. Your plan sounds good. I'm guessing that a Probation Correctional Officer must work in Juvenile Hall? I only ask because 99% of county jails are run by the Sheriff's Office. If so, that would be a great way to get your foot in the door with the Probation Department while you're completing your B.A. or B.S. You might also want to check out "Probation Aide" positions. We have Probation Aides that help out our officers daily, they're great. Most are students working on their degrees. When they receive their degree, they usually test and transfer into a Probation Officer position (again, they already have their foot in the door).

Parole Agent for CDC is another great job. We work closely with our County Parole Agent. Many of our felons are on Parole and Probation at the same time, I know, it's really stupid!! Parolees violate parole, then are placed on county probation. Great job though.

Police, Sheriff, Probation, Parole, they're all great choices. Hopefully you'll find a county where everyone works well together. We're lucky up here in that we have very strong relationships with our S.O. and local PD's. We're in the field with them every day making our arrests, conducting searches, warrants, etc. We have Probation Officers assigned to county task forces as well.

Good luck to you! Be safe!

Comment

Think about getting on somewhere as a Reserve Officer / Deputy. Just a couple of college classes and then the testing cycle. This is a great way to get your foot in the door and to test it out and see of this is a job you realy want.

Probation is a cool job. I worked for Madera Co. Probation for 6 months in the Juvenile Hall before going back to the SO as a full time Deputy. PO is not a bad gig at all.

I have a BS in Crim - Law Enforcement. My recommendation is that you do not get this degree. It is too limiting. Most agencies just want to see that you have a BA / BS. Get a degree in business or sociology (sp?). These degrees open a lot of doors outside of LE if you end up wanting to leave LE for something else. A business degree is great for promotions as well.

Your background sound OK. Nothing major. Clovis PD and some of the other high end departments may DQ you. Just get on with someone else and try lateraling into your choice department after you have some street time.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckystiff
                  Think about getting on somewhere as a Reserve Officer / Deputy. Just a couple of college classes and then the testing cycle. This is a great way to get your foot in the door and to test it out and see of this is a job you realy want.

Probation is a cool job. I worked for Madera Co. Probation for 6 months in the Juvenile Hall before going back to the SO as a full time Deputy. PO is not a bad gig at all.

I have a BS in Crim - Law Enforcement. My recommendation is that you do not get this degree. It is too limiting. Most agencies just want to see that you have a BA / BS. Get a degree in business or sociology (sp?). These degrees open a lot of doors outside of LE if you end up wanting to leave LE for something else. A business degree is great for promotions as well.

Your background sound OK. Nothing major. Clovis PD and some of the other high end departments may DQ you. Just get on with someone else and try lateraling into your choice department after you have some street time.
                  Good advice. I agree with the BS in Criminal Justice, great study but too limiting if you decide to leave LE. Probation Officer positions will accept BS or BA's in sociology, psychology, public relations, etc.

The reserve idea is great. Test the waters. Police, Sheriff, Probation, Parole, all good gigs. Hopefully he (or she) will end up in a county where all agencies partner in the field. We're very fortunate to work with our S.O. and PD bros every day. Parole Agents as well. We have multiple task forces with officers from all agencies assigned. It's a great partnership. We all hook and book the same dirtbags. It's great when you can partner, share intel, search, arrest, etc. The S.O. and the P.D. love it when they find out a subject is on Probation with search and seizure conditions...no need for PC or a Judge's signature...just hit the door and go to town! If we find dope or anything else naughty, we hook on the VOP and they take the new offense. Works out great! My probationers hate it!!

t-shaq15, wherever you go, BE SAFE and have fun!

Comment

Step 1

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I just passed my physical agility test today, I return to take the written in two weeks. I am so excited, I also had the opportunity to tour the facility. The job title for this position is Probation Correctional Officer. I was told that it is a great start, I have always wanted to do either probation of be a law enforcement officer. I am going to reach for the Probation Officer position, once I get in there and put in 110% of my time and effort. I cant stop thinking about it, I am so excited. I finally feel progress is being made. If the outcome is good then I will soar, but if I dont get it, I sure wont give up until I have secured my dream that I have took for granted. Once again thank you. I really appreciate all of your comments and feedback. I will make sure to keep you posted, you never know, I may be working side by side with you one day.

Comment

You're welcome. Good luck! Starting in the Juvenile Hall as a Probation Correctional Officer is a great start. It's nice to know what it's like in a locked facility before you hit the streets as a Probation Officer. I have great respect for our Deputies working the jail, it's a tough beat! We get to hook em, book em, and forget em...they're stuck with them everyday.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Comment

Im certainly no expert on this having just filled out a background packet. But they asked my all sorts of questions about sex crimes and illegal sex acts and drugs. Let us know how it goes because I;m kinda in the same shoes as you. Not with a family or anything, just past transgressions etc. Good luck.
                        Last edited by westcoast; 07-21-2006, 12:53 AM.
                        CBP Officer
                        Written- Feb. 09
                        Video-Based Test- Mar. 09
                        Physical- Apr. 09
                        Medical- May 09
                        Medical Update- Jul. 09
                        Background Investigation- Aug. 09
                        Referred to Selection Unit- Sep. 09
                        Confirmed Desire to be CBPO- Dec. 09
                        Notified of New Physical- Feb. 10

Comment

Can Someone Help Me

I am going out for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's, but I have not found anyone yet who can answere some of my questions.

Today my BI is coming to my employment and meeting with my boss. What I would like to know is if this is almost the end of my investigation.

Written test (passesd)
                          Oral interview (passed)
                          Poly (passed)
                          I already met with BI.

Please if there is someone out there that can help me please do.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by rein
                            I am going out for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's, but I have not found anyone yet who can answere some of my questions.

Today my BI is coming to my employment and meeting with my boss. What I would like to know is if this is almost the end of my investigation.

Written test (passesd)
                            Oral interview (passed)
                            Poly (passed)
                            I already met with BI.

Please if there is someone out there that can help me please do.

Thank you
                            Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. Looks like you're very close to the end, if they conduct their BI's like my department. The fact that the BI officer is meeting with your boss means you're certainly a "go" in their eyes. They wouldn't invest the manpower for an employer visit if they didn't want you. Our sequence is written, oral, second oral (meet the Chief), poly/psych, medical, BI...offer.

Good luck and be safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7640 users online. 406 members and 7234 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X