Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riverside Co. Sheirff anyone?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Have you taken the poly yet? Also have you gotten the conditional offer yet? I got my offer verbally and in the mail so ...

    Comment


    • #17
      yes, I signed the conditional today and the poly was done 2 weeks ago...

      Comment


      • #18
        We had two guys from our station (very excited about the prospect of working ten minutes from home) go over to Riverside County SD...one lasted maybe 3 days and the other, about 30 days.

        They were laterals and went straight to patrol duties. It's not just RCSD, but I also know that LASD that has this odd habit of, "hook and book" all shift then at EOW the trainee stays and writes the reports and books the evidence, while the training officer goes home....and the trainee does so, without overtime compensation. That didn't cut it with them, so they returned back to us.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

        Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

        Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Kieth M.
          We had two guys from our station (very excited about the prospect of working ten minutes from home) go over to Riverside County SD...one lasted maybe 3 days and the other, about 30 days.

          They were laterals and went straight to patrol duties. It's not just RCSD, but I also know that LASD that has this odd habit of, "hook and book" all shift then at EOW the trainee stays and writes the reports and books the evidence, while the training officer goes home....and the trainee does so, without overtime compensation. That didn't cut it with them, so they returned back to us.
          Our dept (LASD) is kind of known for that. Its only 6 mos. of field training. You can hang. Your t/o hammers you with everything they can. Your t/o does stay with u at first. I use to take reports home (not in custody) to try and get ahead. Cant learn if ur not in the field. Its also meant to kind of stress you out. My brother was a lapd copper before he lateraled to a smaller agency. We compared notes alot between the difference in training. He never understood why I was so busy and hammered. Just a difference in training.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
            Our dept (LASD) is kind of known for that. (sic) Just a difference in training.
            Yeah, but if ALADS (the LASD "union") saw the potential in that practice, they would challenge it under the Feds' fair labor standards act (FLSA) that could be quite a chunk of retroactive change to your members.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

            Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

            Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Kieth M.
              Yeah, but if ALADS (the LASD "union") saw the potential in that practice, they would challenge it under the Feds' fair labor standards act (FLSA) that could be quite a chunk of retroactive change to your members.
              ...Kinda' like the class action suit the LAPPL brought against the city for the failure to compensate during the '92 riots???? The LASD,SBSD,RSD practice may truly violate FLSA,but you got to be careful on a past"prior practice" like that-mgm't will FIGHT you all the way on it ,and will always find a way to "punish" line officers and supvs later on because of it.Now there are some policies and training procedures that LAPD adheres to that LASD never has to bother with-just a difference in operations.
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

              Comment


              • #22
                to answer the previous question...

                I was notified by phone and then recieved a letter. They called about 1 month prior to the academy start date. Ask your Background investigator. He/she should be able to give you a 2 week window on when to expect a call. The only bad part about that for me was I got the call 2 days before the end of the window. Yeah I was nervous.
                Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                --Winston Churchill--

                "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Kieth M.
                  Yeah, but if ALADS (the LASD "union") saw the potential in that practice, they would challenge it under the Feds' fair labor standards act (FLSA) that could be quite a chunk of retroactive change to your members.

                  Stations are getting better now, with younger supervisors. Its just traditional in our dept. Not that the dept. cant afford it. Too many guys, IMO, challenge or try to sue for petty stuff. Ruins alot of things for the rest of us. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. Good traditional things sometimes get abolished because of a few complainers.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by SoCalSheriff
                    to answer the previous question...

                    I was notified by phone and then recieved a letter. They called about 1 month prior to the academy start date. Ask your Background investigator. He/she should be able to give you a 2 week window on when to expect a call. The only bad part about that for me was I got the call 2 days before the end of the window. Yeah I was nervous.
                    Thanks for your input SoCalSheriff, I just had my oral psych today and it seemed to go very smooth. Now I have my medical this Thurs. the 20th. Im hoping I will get the call shortly after. I Just finished my medical with LASD today as well, its kinda first come first serve at this point. How long was the call after your medical? Thanks...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
                      Stations are getting better now, with younger supervisors. Its just traditional in our dept. Not that the dept. cant afford it. Too many guys, IMO, challenge or try to sue for petty stuff. Ruins alot of things for the rest of us. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. Good traditional things sometimes get abolished because of a few complainers.

                      My brother is at Lennox and been there for about 3 maybe 4 years and the training was BRUTUAL, but he has a deep affection for that station and the guys and feels VERY proud to be there and have trained there. He feels like he is aprt of that tradition and the way they come out for someone once you make it off training is amazing. That is just what he says it might be worse for others or maybe not as bad.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        If I remember correctly, they called me about 3 weeks after my medical. But then again I started the hiring process fairly close to the academy start date. After everything is done, (BI, Med, psych, poly etc) the BI will meet with the LT in charge of new hires. THey look at how many seats are available in the academy and try to "sell you" to the LT and explain why you are a better candidate than the others. within 2 weeks of that meeting, they should call you.
                        Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                        --Winston Churchill--

                        "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by lnxhopeful
                          My brother is at Lennox and been there for about 3 maybe 4 years and the training was BRUTUAL, but he has a deep affection for that station and the guys and feels VERY proud to be there and have trained there. He feels like he is aprt of that tradition and the way they come out for someone once you make it off training is amazing. That is just what he says it might be worse for others or maybe not as bad.
                          I've heard the stories about LASD fto training and it's plain stupid. Making the rook sit in the car during code 7 and study, held over for hours with no pay, not allowed to eat during the shift, etc, etc. None of that crap makes you a better cop.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Boy, I just had to respond to carnut's post.

                            I find myself in a slightly similar situation. I started applying with various departments about two and a half years ago. I got close with SDSD but was eliminated by the psych eval. I've been knocked over at orals and before BIs. Stuff happens. I just restarted the process with SDSD, and I'm going to get in this time.

                            carnut - I sense your frustration, and also a sense of entitlement. You present all of the qualifications that make you an 'ideal" officer, but then bemoan the fact that nobody will hire you. Like you, I'm a white male. Yes, that's a handicap, but not a fatal one... there are lots of white males in LE. Occam's Razor tells us that, of all the possible explanations for a given phenomenon, the simplest is most likely the truth. In your case, is it more likely that there's an elaborate conspiracy, or that "white males" are just too discriminated against... or that maybe there is something wrong with you?

                            Step back and try to look at yourself objectively. Better yet, talk to any LE contacts you've made from volunteering or BIs that you've gotten along with, and ask them to be very brutally honest with you. And then, do not get ****ed off at what they tell you. Your first impression will probably be how inaccurate and how unfair that assessment is... but it's pure gold. Once you can honestly accept a flaw in your own character, you can work on strengthening it.

                            One of my favorite saying in the world is, "If we are the sum of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But we can, by the choices we have yet to make, change who we are going to be" To me, that is one of the most powerful sentences I've ever heard, and I take it to heart. Yes, I'm not perfect. Every time I've been turned down for an LE job, or any job for that matter, there's a reason. I can scream about how wrong I think that is... or I can identify the reason and work to negate it.

                            It's absolutely possible that neither of us will ever work in LE. Maybe we just aren't cut out for it. I might accept that one day, and live out my life. But I haven't yet. I will keep trying, and I will get in. That's my attitude... I belong there, and I'm going to do my best to demonstrate that. Any setback isn't going to sour me... I'll just try again after absorbing whatever lesson that setback had to teach me.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 7590 users online. 405 members and 7185 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X