300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riverside Co. Sheirff anyone?

I am looking for anyone who has info on Riverside County Sheriff's hiring process. Specifically, I have an interview coming up and I also have the polygraph scheduled.

Has anyone had the interview recently? Its it low-key, professional or do they try to shake you up and throw you some trick questions? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know how their process works, but they are hiring a ton of laterals right now. They are the agency that has hired the most laterals who have left San Diego PD for greener pastures. Good luck with the process.

Comment

All the interviews I had with them were low-key. Didn't really have any interviews where they tried to shake you up or trick you. The polygraph sucked though. Riverside makes you go up to San Bernardino to do the poly.

Good luck with the hiring process, I think its a great department. Are you applying as a lateral or a new hire?

Comment

RSD downfalls are as follows:

You must pay your own retirement portion to PERS for the first 5 years on the job.

Medical coverage stinks.

You have to buy your own gun.

Once your at a patrol station...good luck trying to leave it.

You MIGHT get a vest.

As for backgrounds...if there is a small problem such as a former job reference refuses to talk to the background investigator your file will just sit and sit and sit until it expires.

Thats about all I can remember, my bro works there not me.

Comment

Its three years that you have to pay your retirement before the county then pays for it. (at least thats what it is for me)

How does the medical coverage stink? My health plan as far as I am concerned is great. I even moved my wife onto my plan cause it was a lot better than what she was getting at a private company.

Yes you do have to buy your own gun as they don't provide one to you.

I don't know about the issues with trying to leave a patrol station though I know a few guys that have done it with little issue.

I don't understand your comment on MIGHT get a vest. They issue you a vest and until your brand new custom fitted vest comes in the department gives you a loaner vest that they fit you in.

I'm not sure about the backgrounds sitting if a reference refuses to talk as my background went very smooth, took less than 5 months.

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
          RSD downfalls are as follows:

You must pay your own retirement portion to PERS for the first 5 years on the job.

Medical coverage stinks.

You have to buy your own gun.

Once your at a patrol station...good luck trying to leave it.

You MIGHT get a vest.

As for backgrounds...if there is a small problem such as a former job reference refuses to talk to the background investigator your file will just sit and sit and sit until it expires.

Thats about all I can remember, my bro works there not me.

Comment

Since I am off on an injury right now my bro is using my vest because RSD has not given him one yet. It may be a question of speaking up but they should know he was never issued one. As for backgrounds I just went through the background investigators course sponsored by RSD and the LT. herself stated that fact.
            I dont mean to dog RSD, it is a good department, it just needs some help.
            Last edited by SOCALCOP; 07-01-2006, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Did he get a vest fitted when he got fitted for his uniforms? Thats usually when they do that then he has to go to the training center to sign out a loaner vest until his new one comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
                Since I am off on an injury right now my bro is using my vest because RSD has not given him one yet. It may be a question of speaking up but they should know he was never issued one. As for backgrounds I just went through the background investigators course sponsored by RSD and the LT. herself stated that fact.
                I dont mean to dog RSD, it is a good department, it just needs some help.
                Riverside Co. has great training (AOT and in service) and they all seem motivated, but the county is not as affluent as other area counties and the tax base is slowly building up -due to L.A. and OC transplants buying homes and starting local businesses.They handle their "Business" well and I have yet to hear anyone complain that they suck as a dept-I've known coppers leave higher paying L.A. area Depts for RSD,so theymust have something good to offer.I think many of us in Calif. are too new to the job to know that it really once sucked as far as pay,equip,trng and benefits..........
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

OK, guys, I retired from Riverside S/O after 30 years, and can provide some info. First, I'm not sure what the problem is with the weapons, as I was a rangemaster for 20 years and I was always able to get a firearm for anyone who needed it. Second, everyone who worked for me always had a vest and I never heard otherwise. Riverside Co. is one of the fastest growing areas on the West Coast and the Dept has been trying to catch up to the huge increase in population. The jails are overcrowded and under a Federal cap for inmate population, but so is every other county. Getting a transfer from one station to another is an issue for some, not for others, I have no idea why. Housing is still cheaper here than Orange/LA Counties which is why several officers who worked there came here - they got tired of the horrible commute. Agencies all over the State are hiring, so if someone is unhappy, there are hundreds of alternatives.
                  Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                  Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Hopeless In California-

I come from a family of law enforcement. Most of my life, my family are and were involved in law enforcement employment. I thought it would be the right thing to do to become a law enforcement officer. It is my dream and always will be.

I have done everything I could do to keep my life straight. Not only cause I know it's the right thing to do, but because I always knew it would help with my career goals. I have worked for the same company for over 16 years. (To show job stability) I have never had a drug or alcohol problem. I have a clean driving record with the exception of a speeding ticket 11 years ago. I have never had a criminal record of any kind.

I took college courses to help pursue my career in law enforcement. I earned a partial degree in criminal justice and a minor in english and spanish.

I have spent the last 13 years flooding the job market in regard to law enforcement. I applied to the same Sheriff's Department almost every calendar year from 1992 through 2005. In addition, I applied to some of the local city departments as well.

I attended job fairs, served as a volunteer at a local police sub-station, took alot of my personal time to assist others, and miscellaneous activities to show I'm a quality person that deserves to be in law enforcement.

The Sheriff's Department as well as city departments paint a pretty picture and make it sound so easy to become a member of their team. It is not easy! They make things so difficult for you. They play mind games, they lie to you, they badger you, treat you like a criminal and make promises that they don't keep. With all that said, I still gave it my all for years and years hoping to land the career of my dreams.

One year, I met a really nice deputy in a downtown building. I will never forget something he told me. He said that if this is the career that I want, NEVER GIVE UP. That's the main thing that kept me coming back as a candidate for employment. Otherwise, I would not have wasted my time after all these years. That's what it was.... A WASTE. Knowing what I know now, I would not have spent all those years striving for something that I would never get.

I do understand that it's all a test. You do need to be in great physical and mental shape to have a successful career in law enforcement. However, as I look around and see what is actually out there, I have seen enough cops who are not mentally and physically sound.

During most application processes, they tell brain wash you into thinking that this is the beginning of your new career. They tell you to jog, and exercise and ALWAYS be ready to enter the academy in great shape.

I honestly took what hey have been telling me all these years to heart. I did everything I could to stay in shape. I went to the gym, I went jogging faithfully and I'm in great shape. There are so many times I spent my own time and money to hire personal trainers to help me exceed my exercise goals to become one of the best.

Then one year, I did it! It was finally happening! I finally got a job offer for the career I have always wanted. During the time I received my job offer, I discovered that I had to have surgery to repair a cartilage tear in my knee. All the exercise, all the time I spent, all the money I spent, all the applications I filled out, all the interviews I did, all the days off I asked for to go to these interviews and process functions fell apart in one doctor visit.

After all this, I successfully rehabilitated my knee. I was back to jogging and exercise within a relatively short period of time. During the time it took me to get back into shape, my background expired after a year. Due to this fact, I would have to re-apply and start the process from the beginning all over again if I was still interested in this career. Some departments I applied with would unofficially tell me that I was the wrong guy (they were looking to hire minorities only). In other words, I would score a 90% or above on an oral exam and subsequently receive a disqualification notice because of who I am (single white male). During these times, I found that minorities would receive a 70% on an oral exam and they are the ones who made the eligiblity list. This is the tip of the iceberg of problems that exist in law enforcement today.

My drive for the career of my dreams continued. I decided to re-apply and start the process all over again. This time, I was disqualified due to a polygraph exam. I decided to apply again one year later. I was once again disqualified due to a polygraph exam. My experience with the polygraph is that every time I took the poly, the results were different with different individuals giving the exam. Yet they swear by this subjective machine that they say can read your mind so to speak. Needless to say, I was disqualified due to a machine that is not allowed in court due to reliablility issues (unless in the rare case that the prosecution, defense and judge ALL agree to allow it in court). Even though I was previously determined to be fit by this department to be a sworn deputy in recent history, I was disqualified by the SAME department due to a polygraph exam. I have applied to other departments that do not use the polygraph. These particular departments use a voice stress analysis machine. All voice stress exams I took I passed with no problem. The weird thing is, every voice stress examiner would ask if I ever took a polygraph exam. Of course I would have to say yes. They would proceed to tell me how horrible the polygraph is, and how they used to use it but had too many problems with it. But as I sit on a polygraph exam, the polygraphist would ask me if I have ever taken a truth verification exam at any other time. Once again I would have to say yes. After the polygraphist learned that it was a voice stress machine, they laughed and tried to persuade to think me how horrible the voice stress machine was.

Who do I believe? I mean all these people are protecting their jobs my expense. I mean if a department were to hire someone after a negative poly exam, they could possibly render the polygraph machine useless and the examiner would be out of a job. What do I do at this point? I spent the prime years of my life in pursuit of a career that apparently was not going to happen for me ever again. Now I have a partial degree towards a profession that I cannot use.

I believe in hard work and striving to reach a goal of success. But where does an individual draw the line? How long can one try over and over and continue to get the door slammed in his/her face?

Don't apply in California unless you're black, a non-citizen mexican or a woman.

Comment

I was gonna reply to that but I think I will just let it go. Sorry you had such a hard time with your applications.
                      Last edited by Spectre; 07-06-2006, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with the application process "Carnut". I have had some dissappointments as well.

But..... You say that you have applied to the SAME sheriff's department for 13 years in a row, and some of the local pd's. Did it ever occur to you that they just might not like you? Or that you are not their type?

There are many, many, many, police departments and sheriff's departments in CA. Each dept. has certain qualities they like to see in a candidate. If you truly feel that you are meant to be in Law Enforcement, perhaps you should open your eyes and start looking around at all of the dept.'s that are in dire need of good officers.

Oh, and please, spare us the bull crap about CA agencies only hiring blacks, mexicans, and women. Its those kind of statements that show everyone how little you know.

On second thought, maybe you should just give up. Go do something else.

Comment

As a recent hire

I can say that the hiring process is pretty straight forward. From the day I took the written exam to the day I started the academy was 3 monts, 12 days. The process seemed casual to me, remember to dress (suit and tie) for all stages, even the poly. I had a few misdemeanors about 10 years ago, but they were not held against me. We only pay our portion of the retirement for 3 years. Blue Cross medical for me and the Mrs. costs a grand total of $42 per month out of pocket. Single deps make money from the insurance. (they charge the full amount but also give you an allotment to pay for the insurance, the difference for me is $42 per month). The department provided me with a vest, and yes we purchase our own firearms. The good part about that is you get a weapon you are comfortable with, as long as its on the dept. list (and its a pretty broad list). Basically any H&K, Glock, S&W, Berretta, or SigSauer in 9mm, .40 or .45 (with a few exceptions). They are looking to fill several positions but, like most SoCal agencies qualified canidates are hard to find. I may have only been here for about a year, but I see no problems and enjoy working for them.

Hope the info helps.
                          Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                          --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Oh I almost forgot, I am White, Male about 30 yrs old. I dont know what carnut is talking about. It's always easier to blame others for your own shortcomings than to stand up and take responsibility for your own actions
                            Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
                            --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Hi, I just finished my wriiten psych exam today, and I am scheduled for my oral psych on the 17th as well as my medical on the 20th. Is it safe to assume that backgrounds are done? Can anyone tell me roughly how long you think it might be, granted everything goes smoothly with psych/medical until I am offered a job? Also how does Riverside County make the offer? is it by phone or letter? letters usually arent a good thing lol....any response to this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9624 users online. 478 members and 9146 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X