300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopeless In California

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I come from a family of law enforcement. Most of my life, my family are and were involved in law enforcement employment. I thought it would be the right thing to do to become a law enforcement officer. It is my dream and always will be.

I have done everything I could do to keep my life straight. Not only cause I know it's the right thing to do, but because I always knew it would help with my career goals. I have worked for the same company for over 16 years. (To show job stability) I have never had a drug or alcohol problem. I have a clean driving record with the exception of a speeding ticket 11 years ago. I have never had a criminal record of any kind.

I took college courses to help pursue my career in law enforcement. I earned a partial degree in criminal justice and a minor in english and spanish.

I have spent the last 13 years flooding the job market in regard to law enforcement. I applied to the same Sheriff's Department almost every calendar year from 1992 through 2005. In addition, I applied to some of the local city departments as well.

I attended job fairs, served as a volunteer at a local police sub-station, took alot of my personal time to assist others, and miscellaneous activities to show I'm a quality person that deserves to be in law enforcement.

The Sheriff's Department as well as city departments paint a pretty picture and make it sound so easy to become a member of their team. It is not easy! They make things so difficult for you. They play mind games, they lie to you, they badger you, treat you like a criminal and make promises that they don't keep. With all that said, I still gave it my all for years and years hoping to land the career of my dreams.

One year, I met a really nice deputy in a downtown building. I will never forget something he told me. He said that if this is the career that I want, NEVER GIVE UP. That's the main thing that kept me coming back as a candidate for employment. Otherwise, I would not have wasted my time after all these years. That's what it was.... A WASTE. Knowing what I know now, I would not have spent all those years striving for something that I would never get.

I do understand that it's all a test. You do need to be in great physical and mental shape to have a successful career in law enforcement. However, as I look around and see what is actually out there, I have seen enough cops who are not mentally and physically sound.

During most application processes, they tell brain wash you into thinking that this is the beginning of your new career. They tell you to jog, and exercise and ALWAYS be ready to enter the academy in great shape.

I honestly took what hey have been telling me all these years to heart. I did everything I could to stay in shape. I went to the gym, I went jogging faithfully and I'm in great shape. There are so many times I spent my own time and money to hire personal trainers to help me exceed my exercise goals to become one of the best.

Then one year, I did it! It was finally happening! I finally got a job offer for the career I have always wanted. During the time I received my job offer, I discovered that I had to have surgery to repair a cartilage tear in my knee. All the exercise, all the time I spent, all the money I spent, all the applications I filled out, all the interviews I did, all the days off I asked for to go to these interviews and process functions fell apart in one doctor visit.

After all this, I successfully rehabilitated my knee. I was back to jogging and exercise within a relatively short period of time. During the time it took me to get back into shape, my background expired after a year. Due to this fact, I would have to re-apply and start the process from the beginning all over again if I was still interested in this career. Some departments I applied with would unofficially tell me that I was the wrong guy (they were looking to hire minorities only). In other words, I would score a 90% or above on an oral exam and subsequently receive a disqualification notice because of who I am (single white male). During these times, I found that minorities would receive a 70% on an oral exam and they are the ones who made the eligiblity list. This is the tip of the iceberg of problems that exist in law enforcement today.

My drive for the career of my dreams continued. I decided to re-apply and start the process all over again. This time, I was disqualified due to a polygraph exam. I decided to apply again one year later. I was once again disqualified due to a polygraph exam. My experience with the polygraph is that every time I took the poly, the results were different with different individuals giving the exam. Yet they swear by this subjective machine that they say can read your mind so to speak. Needless to say, I was disqualified due to a machine that is not allowed in court due to reliablility issues (unless in the rare case that the prosecution, defense and judge ALL agree to allow it in court). Even though I was previously determined to be fit by this department to be a sworn deputy in recent history, I was disqualified by the SAME department due to a polygraph exam. I have applied to other departments that do not use the polygraph. These particular departments use a voice stress analysis machine. All voice stress exams I took I passed with no problem. The weird thing is, every voice stress examiner would ask if I ever took a polygraph exam. Of course I would have to say yes. They would proceed to tell me how horrible the polygraph is, and how they used to use it but had too many problems with it. But as I sit on a polygraph exam, the polygraphist would ask me if I have ever taken a truth verification exam at any other time. Once again I would have to say yes. After the polygraphist learned that it was a voice stress machine, they laughed and tried to persuade to think me how horrible the voice stress machine was.

Who do I believe? I mean all these people are protecting their jobs my expense. I mean if a department were to hire someone after a negative poly exam, they could possibly render the polygraph machine useless and the examiner would be out of a job. What do I do at this point? I spent the prime years of my life in pursuit of a career that apparently was not going to happen for me ever again. Now I have a partial degree towards a profession that I cannot use.

I believe in hard work and striving to reach a goal of success. But where does an individual draw the line? How long can one try over and over and continue to get the door slammed in his/her face?

Don't apply in California unless you're black, non-citizen mexican or a woman.

Comment

Carnut -----> You've posted this same 10 paragraph rant in at least 3 threads just in this "California" section. It sucks that you didn't get to realize your dream of law enforcement and I understand because it actually took me about 5 years to get hired. That being said....the pattern of your actions may be a clue as to why you haven't been hired somewhere. You need to let it go and stop spamming every thread with a cut and paste rant thats a page and a half long.

EDIT: And for the record.....I am not black, not a non-citizen mexican and am not female. Most of our recent recruits haven't been either. Once again I know you must be frustrated, but you need to find a way to deal with your issues.
      Last edited by Fuzz; 07-06-2006, 12:44 AM.

Comment

You're telling me that "I need" to do something? Where did you get your psychology degree?

Freedom of speech in the Bill Of Rights is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by carnut92504
          You're telling me that "I need" to do something? Where did you get your psychology degree?

Freedom of speech in the Bill Of Rights is a virtue.

WOW ????? well good luck I hope you ultimately. get what you want out of life one day..
          "I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

President John F. Kennedy

Comment

I just sent my application in for the next exam. :-D
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Good luck guys, it's a great department and career.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12202 users online. 450 members and 11752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X