300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The California Highway Patrol

Sent my initial scantron application in a week ago, they called today, and said July 22nd for testing, then said Sacramento would be the best place to get that done. So I'll be getting my air-rates and stuff down now.

I'm currently employed as a LEO for a county. Looking for a CHP Officer for some advise, any chippies around to play a little Q&A with? Basically stuff about my background. I have a pretty rough background compared to other LEO's(no perma DQ stuff, and I work with guys worse off than myself), so looking for a little info. I heard the CHP is a little bit more flex, then say the Texas DPS, or some other State LE agencies(I was DQ'd from the Michigan State Police on my background, and told to wait a few years, but then got my Deputy job 5 months later). Thanks for checking this out. CHiPs ahoy matie!

Squader01
    "I'm the man who invented the wheel, and built the Eiffle Tower out of metal and brawn, that's what kind of man I am. You? You're just a women with a small brain." -Ron Burgundy

http://www.chpforums.com/ CHP forum, you'll be able to find a lot of info here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/ For CA police academy notes.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks Pkagel.
      "I'm the man who invented the wheel, and built the Eiffle Tower out of metal and brawn, that's what kind of man I am. You? You're just a women with a small brain." -Ron Burgundy

Comment

Good Luck!

Sacramento in July! Stay someplce with a pool!
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

My mother-in-law lives in Oakdale. Wow, that place has changed since 1989!!!
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Do the CHP have NCIC or LEIN in their cruisers? Or any kind of Computer?

I was looking at some pictures earlier of a few service cruisers, and some didn't. Curious, anybody?

Edit: I should've asked this on the CHP forum, but I'll let it stand here anyways. Thanks dudes.
            Last edited by Squader01; 06-08-2006, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squader01
              Do the CHP have NCIC or LEIN in their cruisers? Or any kind of Computer?

I was looking at some pictures earlier of a few service cruisers, and some didn't. Curious, anybody?
              Yes, they do. They use a secure network on laptops. At least here in Ventura County they do. I work with a recently retired chippy Sgt. Half the time they don't work from what I hear, but they are there none the less.

Compared to state, we get paid so little he gets to keep his retirement.

CHP has a strange way to work their radios too. They use a very low band freq on the mobile units. The handhelds are VHF that rebroadcast via a mobile repeater in the patrol unit on a very low band freq. Needless to say, that, the federal signal smart vector and contol box (which replaces the AM/FM radio, and the siren contol in the same unit) and the other things needed electricly require quite a setup in the trunk. Take a look some time if you get the chance. It's a madhouse in there.
              "Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

It sounds like it depends on the infrastructure of the county on whether or not they have computers. Most work on the 800 MHz frequencies and I would imagine that they probably piggy back off the counties systems. CA is quite a bit of terriotory to cover to set-up a statewide computer system.
                That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

I just recently cleared backgrounds/medical with the patrol. It was pretty intense comparde to a Bi I was going though with the local (big city) PD at the same time.

check out chpforums.com
                  Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by AvalancheZ71
                    It sounds like it depends on the infrastructure of the county on whether or not they have computers. Most work on the 800 MHz frequencies and I would imagine that they probably piggy back off the counties systems. CA is quite a bit of terriotory to cover to set-up a statewide computer system.
                    My last job, our CAD system was part of the GPS our units had. The same signal that transmitted our status (if code) and where we were, also transmitted the data to and from our MDCs. It was all done through cell towers. Any inquiries were sent to dispatch, who sent the relivant info back to us.
                    We used the infamous Datalux Databrick hardware. Durable IMO, but required reboot too many times.

"Get this and get it straight! Crime is a sucker's road and those who travel it wind up in the gutter, the prison, or the grave. There's no other end. They never learn."

Comment

ejay-sounds like th crap we use- MDS which was once installed and maintained by DATA 911 corp. great when it works,touch screen and everything- but let the temperature rise in the vehicle ,then you have to reboot it several times.......
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Most State Trooper/Police I know get take hoe cars.I heard the CHP doesnt get this benefit

Comment

Unless you are in a special unit the allows a take home ride, you do not get a take home car. The regular officer uses his own personal vehicle to and from, unless you ride a motorcycle that is. It would be great to have take home but, I couldn't image the cost for a department that size.
                          Last edited by CarCop; 06-19-2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

CHP has take home cars only in rual areas. From what I understand, officers in very rual areas not only take their cars home, but offen have their wife as a dispatcher!

Comment

Originally posted by nobody33
                              I just recently cleared backgrounds/medical with the patrol. It was pretty intense comparde to a Bi I was going though with the local (big city) PD at the same time.

check out chpforums.com
                              That sucks, my Background is kind of crap. I got my job now through good attitude, and internships with the department, and working dispatch.

I hope I don't spend all that money flying out there 3 times, and get the big ASSS DQ.

I've got good credit, and do have 7 months LE experience. We'll see how it goes, what are some good Muni PD's around Sacramento(where I'll be testing) to apply too? Some that are activley recruiting.

I don't mind doing another Police Academy to be in California. My MCOLES PROBABLY doesn't lateral there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9544 users online. 336 members and 9208 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X