300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Southern California Agencies

Are there any agencies in the LA area, including Orange County and West San Bernardino county that I should avoid looking at?

If so please say why, whether it be financial situation or any other reason...

An example would be LAPD which I heard makes new hires sign a 5 year contract because theyre having problems retaining officers.
    Last edited by 23queen5; 04-14-2006, 10:47 AM.

Also, any info on good (cheap) places to live would be nice.
    Last edited by 23queen5; 04-14-2006, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Try San Bernardino County area. Rancho Cucamonga, North Fontana, Chino Hills to name a few. All are new and growing cities. Very nice communities and the housing is still cheaper than LA County/Orange County. You can still work in LA County. Alot of coppers from LA County live in these cities.

Comment

Originally posted by 23queen5
        An example would be LAPD which I heard makes new hires sign a 5 year contract because theyre having problems retaining officers.
        I think this is a fair deal. I personally do not think it's fair for a recruit to use the LAPD's resources (approx $60,000 for the Academy) PLUS earn a salary of $55,000 only to walk away to a smaller dept upon graduation.

An officer that leaves the dept. due to stress or personal issues does not violate the contract. An officer who leaves and joins another dept. within 12 months is liable. So there's the loophole. If you decide to leave the LAPD...wait 12 months, and you'll be fine.

Comment

That actually sounds reasonable. Thanks for the info

Comment

The bad departments are the ones that pay horrible. There are some departments in the region that still pay less than 5k a month, which is redicously low already for the region. Nor do some have 3 at 50. The low pay is like a domino effect, they hire knucleheads and the whole department is a lower quality than others.

I have also heard isolated complaints about other agencies, like the amount of time in the jails at LASD/OCSD. But you know you are getting that when you sign up.

I would stay away from the agencies in San Bernardino county. I used to work there, a few are decent, but they all seem to have their issues. Riverside county and orange county seem to be overall much more squared away.
            Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

nobody33,

what specifically was bad about San Bernardino County agencies? admin? people? or just the job out there itself?

also, was it the county SO that wasn't too great or city cops?

Comment

Every agency in Southern California that I am aware of are all very professional orginizations. Most pay very well and do the job they are supposed to do.

The only possible "bad" thing has been mentioned, if you work a local sheriff's department, you would be "stuck" working the jails for at least five years. To me, that's pretty "stuck." Also, some of the smaller agencies aren't quite as busy as the bigger ones... i.e. Burbank PD is not nearly as busy as LAPD or LASD for obvious reasons.

And I agree, just because LAPD has you sign a contract doesn't make it a "bad" agency. I proud of my department.
                Last edited by LA Copper; 04-15-2006, 11:49 PM.

Comment

San Diego PD is going through a pretty bad time right now, with a recent pay-cut, a lot of guys are leaving for other agencies, and as a result, morale is pretty low. It is one of the lowest paid dept's in southern CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                    RE: being "stuck" in Custody (or courts). For my department, how long your "wait" will be between academy graduation and Patrol is going to depend on such factors as how fast we're hiring, which stations you pick, if we have any new large assignments opening up, and if you have any special skills/abilities in critical demand, etal.

In the last Patrol school I recognized a couple of deputies who graduated the academy relatively recently - 14-16 Months ago. That's pretty fast (north county stations). OTOH, I know a few guys who finally made it to stations like East LA and Industry - after 7-8 Years...
                    Sam good point. Custody is a good place to start out as a cop. Makes you a better cop, IMO. Not to mention all the o/t. Your're right, though. Your time in custody all depends on which station you pick, hiring, and other factors, which we are doing alot of right now. I only spent 2 yrs in custody.

Comment

Each department has it's own good things and bad things depending on your point of view. Low pay and political problems in San Diego PD may be bad for the cops working there, but it might be a good situation for someone to get hired because the competition may not be as high with the bad publicity. Some people may not ever want to work in the jails and a department that has to work corrections before patrol may be a horrible department for them.

You need to look at each department, research their benefits, talk with some of the front line cops (not the recruiters) and find out which department meets what you are looking for.

For example....I am very happy with my department, the pay is in the top three of the county, good equipment, good people, brand new station, lots of growth right now.....but we have had people leave because the work load is too high (yes we are very busy).

Comment

I have a list of most of the LA/OC agencies along with many other counties that you can look at on my site. I also have all my academy notes on there if you're intetested. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

As far as bad agencies, it really depends on what you are looking for as to what you would consider bad. I think all the SoCal agencies have a leg up on the rest of the country due to the training alone.
                        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by 23queen5
                          nobody33,

what specifically was bad about San Bernardino County agencies? admin? people? or just the job out there itself?

also, was it the county SO that wasn't too great or city cops?

SBSO has jail time and low pay. The admins are crummy in some agencies, corruption issues (Rialto, SBPD, etc). Pay issues at some places. A lot of micromanagement gonig on there.

I'd look at RSO and Riverside city. Riverside PD is paid extremely well. Better than some OC agencies even.
                          Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
                            In the last Patrol school I recognized a couple of deputies who graduated the academy relatively recently - 14-16 Months ago. That's pretty fast (north county stations). OTOH, I know a few guys who finally made it to stations like East LA and Industry - after 7-8 Years...
                            I think that if I worked for LASD, I'd want to work up around Lancaster and Palmdale - out of the LA Basin, nice desert weather and plenty of open space outside town. I would imagine that there is less traffic as well.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by CPhil555
                              I think this is a fair deal. I personally do not think it's fair for a recruit to use the LAPD's resources (approx $60,000 for the Academy) PLUS earn a salary of $55,000 only to walk away to a smaller dept upon graduation.

An officer that leaves the dept. due to stress or personal issues does not violate the contract. An officer who leaves and joins another dept. within 12 months is liable. So there's the loophole. If you decide to leave the LAPD...wait 12 months, and you'll be fine.

Its called "SLAVERY" (illegal in this country last time I heard) and that contract doesn't mean you have a "job" for 5 yrs, or that your promotions or pay increases are locked in- you can be demoted as a form of discipline now with the city of L.A .Lots of officers seeking to lateral b4 5 yrs have fought that contract and won .After 5 yrs in LAPD you have to dodge pins and needles to keep out of the I.A. sights, and if you want to really work as a patrol officer for an APPRECIATIVE community, its the local suburbs that make it worth while. And every other L.A. county agency ,even the sub police Depts that are deployed by the city of L.A(Port Pd,Airport Pd,GenServices PD ,School PD )-DON'T make you sign a contract !You come and go in this job like any other job,public or private .LAPD is a "meat grinder", and even the hard scrabble LASD has a better work environment- not much better pay or equip,but definitely higher MORALE. The city has become a vicious 3rd world city, with houses in the 'hood costing $500K PLUS, just so you can live near the people you will most likely have to ARREST.
                              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7553 users online. 297 members and 7256 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X