Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cali - Post Waiver Exam, did you take it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cali - Post Waiver Exam, did you take it?

Hello,
    I am from out of state and preparing my package to apply for the CA Post Waiver eligibility. If I am approved to take the Waiver Exam, what can I expect? I know there are the requalification / waiver exam courses that are about 3 weeks long, but the one nearest where I will be moving doesn't have the course for months... So I need to sign up just for the waiver exam and hope I pass it. I am ordering the workbooks from Kinko's today.. What can I expect testing wise, and what should I concentrate studying? Arrest tactics? Any help would be appreciated!

I don't know what is on the exam but my guess is they test on what is covered in the academy.

Here are all my academy notes.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Keep us posted!
      Last edited by BayCityBrawler; 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

never even got that far

I too applied for the BCW in Calif. I have over 1000 hours of training and 3 years LEO experience. I paid $75 just to get evaluated and more money obtaining transcripts and copies. The sent me a letter back saying that I was a total of 20 hours short in 4 specific categories of training. This boils down to the course was not named correctly
        That throws you into a catch22 situation. You need that training to get the Waiver but can't get the training unless you are LE. Your third option is to go through another academy. In CA you pretty much have to send yourself. If you're anything like me you can't afford to not work for 5 months and pay academy tuition.

Comment

If you're going to go to another academy anyway why not just get hired and have them send you. If you insist on putting yourself through then go to an extended academy nights and weekends. Depending on what specific courses you need you might go to an academy that teaches in modules. Their are 3 modules to get a CA POST certificate and depending on what courses you need you might get away with doing it this way. I think Rio Hondo Police Academy was contemplating teaching in modules so they might be a good place to start at least. Give them a call once you find out what courses you need, if any at all.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Check into the extended academies. That may work in your favor... good luck

Originally posted by Sag22
            If you're anything like me you can't afford to not work for 5 months and pay academy tuition.
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

re certification course

i'm currently in the re certification class , it lasts three weeks , they test out of the books offered on the p.o.s.t website , the books are cheap , if you can't take the class buy the books and read them , then take the test , they are hurting so bad for cops in so cal that they are in this course recruiting the ones that pass , monrovia is down 40 cops right now , L.A X is hiring big time ! you can get hired just about anywhere you want to work right now

Comment

The books are available on CD also.

Comment

Thanks so much for all your help! If I am short a few hours from my academy training on a couple subjects, do you think if I go volunteer some time to get training on that subject, POST will accept it for the waiver? For example, I am short a couple hours of "Domestic Violence" training from my academy. Of course, we deal with that everyday, but I need some sort of documentation. What if I go on my day off to our DV detail and get some additional training - they could type a letter to document my additional training? Thanks again!

Comment

I'm not sure, that would be something to ask POST specifically. You might be able to take a course over at the local junior college to cover it also.

Like I said, I don't know anyone who has actually done this. CA has a lot required in the academy as you might have found out having gone to the POST web site. My academy was almost 400 hours longer than what is mandated by the state and most run at least 300 longer than the state requirements. If you can get your POST though you'll be able to walk in as a lateral and have a pretty good selection of all the departments.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4263 users online. 220 members and 4043 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X