Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cali Cops - Interpret this for me:

Minimum requirements for Sheriff's Security Officer-

Graduation from high school or satisfactory completion of an acceptable General Education Development (GED) Test;

AND

Satisfactory completion of an introductory course of training prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) as described in Penal Code Section 832 (arrest
    and firearms).

AND

Satisfactory completion of a course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) in the carrying and use of a club or baton or possession of a valid and
    current baton certification issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I'm pretty sure that graduation from a POST Basic Academy covers the PC 832 (arrest and firearms) requirement, but what about the baton training? There's plenty of that in the academy, so shouldn't the academy count for the baton requirement as well?
    *Not a cop*

It sounds to me like they want you to be 832 certified before getting the job which would entail you going to an 832 class. Which SD is this for??
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

High school education is self explanatory. PC 832 course is the Reserve Officer Level III Academy which is about 2 weeks long or so. It's been a while since I went through it. And the baton requirement is a class you can take at a police/sheriff academy although I have never seen a class that only teaches baton so you would have to take it at a local security officer academy but make sure it is POST certified. Good luck.
      Last edited by SOCALCOP; 02-21-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Graduation from high school or satisfactory completion of an acceptable General Education Development (GED) Test;

Self explanatory

Satisfactory completion of an introductory course of training prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) as described in Penal Code Section 832 (arrest and firearms).

Minimum training - Reserve level III, PC 832, a forty hour course NOT including the firearms portion, which is 6 to 8 more hours depending on where you go. Basic Academy surpasses PC 832. Most agencies will recognize this.

Satisfactory completion of a course approved by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T) in the carrying and use of a club or baton or possession of a valid and current baton certification issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs.

Basic academy obviouisly includes this but does not issue any type of "certificate" however it would appear if you have basic academy then you're okay. If not and as per the minimum requirements for this job, you'll need to attend a BSIS (Bureau Security & Investigative Services) class to receive the baton certificate.
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
          High school education is self explanatory. PC 832 course is the Reserve Officer Level III Academy which is about 2 weeks long or so.
          No, PC 832 and Reserve Level III are two seperate classes. Normally the 832 class is administered first, then Level III, II, and then I.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
            No, PC 832 and Reserve Level III are two seperate classes. Normally the 832 class is administered first, then Level III, II, and then I.

Exactly right. PC 832 is the minimum level of POST training and was 40 hours when I took many, many years ago. Firearms is an additional class. You can get a baton certificate from a private company teaching a class and some other places. A POST Basic academy is the training a peace officer receives and includes baton training. If you have an academy certificate it should cover the baton requirement and the 832 requirement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8058 users online. 427 members and 7631 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X