300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasadena

My brother is thinking of moving out to Pasadena from Florida. All he knows is that they have a good anesthesia program there.

He's looking ideas about a safe and affordable area to live in. How much should he expect to pay in rent and living expenses (utilites, cable, etc.).

Does he need a car living there or is there good public transportation? He currently has a car, but is willing to sell it if it won't be needed.

Suggestions please

Safe and cheap don't go together in SoCal. Their effectively isn't any public transportation. Ever heard the song "Nobody walks in LA?" He'll need roomates if he wants to live cheaply and their is always rooms for rent in people's houses.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I don't agree with the public transportation theory. There is plenty of buses and commuter trains. Trains may not be an option if he lives close to where he gos to school/work. Buses are the best bet but he will see the lower income people riding the bus. Keep the car. I do agree about cheap and safe not going together. There are plenty of safe areas in Southern California but you will pay $$ for those areas, but it's worth it if you can afford it.

Comment

I'd imagine it was my time in NYC that made me say that. The trains are great if you live and work in proximity to the stations but they are not as widespread as they should be. Busses from what I've seen take forever to get anywhere but then so does driving during most of the daylight hours
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What areas of town should he look into for getting an apartment? He's planning on spending around $1500/month for rent (and if that included some utilities GREAT). I don't want him to go out there not knowing what to expect and end up getting a place in the ghetto

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Well, have him come out and do a ride along. Nobody knows better than the officers on the street as to which areas to stay out of.

Comment

sAD BUT TRUE......

Originally posted by SOCALCOP
              I don't agree with the public transportation theory. There is plenty of buses and commuter trains. Trains may not be an option if he lives close to where he gos to school/work. Buses are the best bet but he will see the lower income people riding the bus. Keep the car. I do agree about cheap and safe not going together. There are plenty of safe areas in Southern California but you will pay $$ for those areas, but it's worth it if you can afford it.
              SAD BUT THERE IS A "WARNING" POSTED ON THE LOS ANGELES AIRBASES MP WEB PAGE- ITS SAYS THAT " CAR THEFT,ROBBERY, AND GANG VIOLANCE IS PREVAILENT IN THE LOS ANGELES AREA" and advises that one ask around before shopping or finding a place to live ! WELCOME TO "KILLER KALI".......
              "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

My suggestion is to just get out here. Stay at a hotel for a day or two and hit the pavement looking for apartments. After he finds one he could either call over to the local PD front desk or show up in person and tell them he is from out of town, just moved here and found or is looking for a good apartment complex that is relatively crime free. They will give him good info on which ones are good and which ones are bad. Good luck!

Comment

Absolutly make sure he checks out whatever apartment complexes he goes to at night as well as during the day because lots of places change quite a bit at night!!

Comment

When is he moving out here? I have a 1 bedroom unit available mar 15 or so. Rent is 1250. Quiet building in Studio City. 15 mins drive to pasadena. Women jog alone at night in my neighborhood. Blocks from 2 major freeways. Frequent celebrity sightings at grocery stores, blockbuster video. 10 min local drive to Hollywood hot spots.

1 bd/1bath, 2nd floor unit in 2 story bldg
                    Gas fireplace, stove
                    Central air, heat
                    dishwasher, NO fridge (bring your own), 1 parking space in gated garage
                    WASHER and DRYER in the unit

pm me if interested.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9964 users online. 453 members and 9511 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X