Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figures...When she calls back, have her send the info in writing just in case.

Then you are covered because when the crap hits the fan, no one will fess up to authorizing your return to police work.

We keep everything including the postmarked envelopes. Our WC/retirement file is about 16 inches thick.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out.

Did you get ahold of sgttom?
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

She told me she was going to send me the "Employment after retirment" publication. I told her I already had it, and it did not state anything about out of state employment.

Graydog is now the third person that I know of that has also talked to Pers and was told the same thing I was.

As far as keeping everything. I have kept everything from my first workers comp claim report from my department. I learned the game very quick. Sucks it has to be that way, but no one else is going to cover your back when it comes down to it.

Comment

LOL. My personal WC file is held in five full three ring binders and growing by the day. I too kept everything from day one.
        Luckily I could retire for service pending IDR so I don't need to return to work nor could I realistically do police work now anyway. PERS granted my IDR about two years after I retired so that helped financially. WC however is still fighting with my lawyer over the claims we filed on my way out the door. Interestingly, their own freaking doctor found a "heart condition" which really sent them spinning.
        It has now been going on five years and I hope to get it wound up later this year, but we will see.
        I like finding other people on this forum who know what it is like to get involved with the crappy WC system. It makes one feel less alone.
        Keep after them and good luck to you both. They must really hate those of us who don't just fold and run away after their first denial letter.

Comment

Keep your head up, it will be over soon. As for me, I've been done with workers comp for almost two years now. They paid me my settlement and out the door I went. As I posted earlier the city I worked for did not want me back, and they made sure through their doctor that I did not come back.

I contacted my WC lawyer yesterday. He told me it did not matter if Pers said it was okay to return to work as a Police Officer in another state. He said the city I worked for could fight it. He asked that I call the POA Lawyer and see what he says. I'm waiting on a call back from him as I write this.

Comment

Ok, here is another question for you guys. Do you think a Bailiff would be considered a diffrent job discription than a Police Officer.

The reason I ask is the Sheriff's Department where I live is currently doing my back ground investigation for Bailiff. I don't want to run the chance of screwing up my retirement with Pers.

Comment

Our dept has deputies assigned to different duty stations ie jail, patrol, civil,coroners and bailiffs. But we are all under the same classification as deputies. Unless it is a separate classification, I would think the answer would be, no.

Did you get your info in the mail yet?

Speaking of, I went to the lawyer's today regarding worker's comp bs.

So you were medically retired because of your knee injury, but you've since had surgery to correct it. So you can do the job. BUT THEY didn't have a job for you. IS that right?
              Last edited by deputy x 2; 02-15-2006, 09:12 PM.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I had four knee surgeries over the course of two years. After the third one the city I worked for did not want me back. At the time of my injury I was a Detective. When I filed my disablity retirment papers Pers asked the city why I could not continue with my job I was doing. The city told Pers they did not have modified positions, and it was all or nothing. So they retired me. All this came from stepping out of a unit and turning my body, but my foot stayed in place.

The Doctor found me 64% disabled in my right knee, and gave me 50% standing, 50% sitting work restrictions. Which was exactly what I was doing as a Detective.

Before I moved to Kentucky I went back to my department and spoke with my old Lt. and Capt. and asked them if I got cleared by my doctor if I could come back to work. I explained to them that I have continued to rehab my knee. I was told my department would hire me back in a heart beat, but city hall would not.

So now here I am, 36 years old and the only thing I know how to do is law enforcement. I have no other formal training. And as you are probably aware, the training they offer you after retirement is a JOKE!!!

Comment

Voc Rehab is a joke. At least they now give you the option of taking the 16K instead of "their" retraining course. As I wrote to someone else, 4K went to the counselor and the rest wasn't enough to get any kind of training for a job placement.

Again good luck and keep us posted.

Have you looked into the possibility of being a PI?

Comment

Okay, I heard from the Pers IDR sector about my question of returning to law enforcement in another state.

The lady on the phone tells me this. "You can not go back to work performing the same duties as you were when you were injured for any law enforcement agency in the United States." Then I'm told, "If Pers finds out that you have gone back to work they will (A) stop your retirement, and (B) file fraud charges against you."

Then I'm told I should reinstate from my retirement if I want to go back to work as a Police Officer. I explain to the lady that I no longer live in California, and will never again live in California, so how do I reinstate. She has no answer. Then I ask, If I reinstate will Pers cut me a check for the money I have contributed into my retirement since I will not be working for a Pers agency. Lady has no answer. Lady tells me she checked all this information out with a lawyer before she called me.

I also tell her that I have checked with two lawyers and was told Pers can not do anything about me going back to work in another state. Lady starts to get mad. Tells me I run the risk of loosing my retirment if I go back to work. I explain to her about the lawyer telling me about 200 or so cops from California medically retiring and moving to other states and becoming cops again. She tells me "They just have not been caught yet" Then she tells me "We now know about you." Phone calls ends.

I don't understand. You call Pers and ask one person a question and get told one thing. Then someone else from Pers tells you a total diffrent answer. What is it the blind leading the blind. I'm more confused now than I was before the lady called me back.

Comment

Dude,

It's like a couple of us have told you. If you go out and start performing the same duties that you couldn't do with your old agency, you no longer qualify for disability retirement and your pension can be cancelled. When this happens (and in order to keep you from getting the short end of the stick) the law gives you the right to reinstate to your old job. If you don't want to reinstate that's up to you. However, any obligations owed to you under the law will have been fulfilled.

If you want to chance it, go ahead. But the picture you are painting is that you are trying to roll into your new peace officer job before the disability pension has even been approved from your old one. This smells like big time fraud. In addition, it also prevents you from offering the defense that you simply got well over time.

I'd give a lot of thought to this before doing it.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I understand what you guys have been saying. My retirement has already been approved. I've been retired for almost two years now, and have been receiving my retirement money from day one.

I guess I just don't want to give up my career.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11910 users online. 445 members and 11465 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X