Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deputy x 2: I gots a few good friends over at ACSO and on the DA's office (investigators) too... ACSO is a good place to work. I thought of lateral to ACSO a few years back. I just can't get used to the uniforms..

Kudos to ACSO for changing their academy around, it has always been a tough academy - academic, physical and mentally. The stuff I heard from officers, deputies and agencies was that the boot camp training did not allow for the trainees to think on their own - always having to look back for approval, which most department and the LE trends for offices in the past five / ten years dictate otherwise, you know - the "touchy feely" and thinking independently

It was not meant to "down" ACSO, just responding to the threads.. ACSO is a good place, they have a GREAT contract. I'm across the bay in the "city of tolerance" aka working scared... what's the next scandal gonna be...
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by sgttom
      Deputy x 2: I gots a few good friends over at ACSO and on the DA's office (investigators) too... ACSO is a good place to work. I thought of lateral to ACSO a few years back. I just can't get used to the uniforms..

Kudos to ACSO for changing their academy around, it has always been a tough academy - academic, physical and mentally. The stuff I heard from officers, deputies and agencies was that the boot camp training did not allow for the trainees to think on their own - always having to look back for approval, which most department and the LE trends for offices in the past five / ten years dictate otherwise, you know - the "touchy feely" and thinking independently

It was not meant to "down" ACSO, just responding to the threads.. ACSO is a good place, they have a GREAT contract. I'm across the bay in the "city of tolerance" aka working scared... what's the next scandal gonna be...
      Likewise, I was born and raised over there and have MANY friends in the dept. A lot of coppers retire and lateral over to double dip.

What you don't like gray shirts with blue pants? Or is it the bus driver looking hat. WE can't take the hat band out and we have to use our keepers. My keepers are attached to my duty belt...but not to my pants. hee hee (call it modified SFPD style.)

Re: the boot camp academy. The two guys who had the Marine mentality idea are LONG gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting the Marines. It was more of a PERSONAL power trip. You can now see the change with the newbies.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Props and Kudos to you and ACSO....

Yes, no keepers, no hat band. It is the life..

Originally posted by deputy x 2
        Likewise, I was born and raised over there and have MANY friends in the dept. A lot of coppers retire and lateral over to double dip.

What you don't like gray shirts with blue pants? Or is it the bus driver looking hat. WE can't take the hat band out and we have to use our keepers. My keepers are attached to my duty belt...but not to my pants. hee hee (call it modified SFPD style.)

Re: the boot camp academy. The two guys who had the Marine mentality idea are LONG gone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not disrespecting the Marines. It was more of a PERSONAL power trip. You can now see the change with the newbies.
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Your title was for Contra Costa but the body of your post says Alameda.

I can provide some intel on CCCSO. I don't work for the SO but I used to be a reserve there before I went f/t and I still have lots of friends there. Great agency with lots to do but the county is going through some real financial issues and those are trickling to the sheriff's office, the DA's office, and other county funded agencies.

Jail time is about 33 months. You can get out earlier but you'll return sooner. There is a variety of patrol areas. You can work in Blackhawk, a very wealthy gated community, or North Richmond a mostly black and souteast asian community known for a high homicide rate. They have helicopters, boats, a big investigations bureau, and coroners office. They currently have 5 contract cities but San Ramon will most likely split into their own PD in the next two years leaving four cities. If San Ramon is successful I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other contract cities follow in their footsteps.

The biggest downside to Contra Costa is the retirement. They are on a county retirement system. Their contract right now has deputies paying up to 20% of their base pay to their retirement. That's a big chunk of money when your academy mates are paying 9% to Calpers or might even work for an agency that picks up the whole retirement contribution.

A quick note on Alameda SO from an outsider. After 16 years in East Bay LE I've had quite a bit of interaction with ACSO over the years. IMHO one squared away big agency! One of the most profesional LE firearms training programs around. Squared away SWAT team. Squared away Bomb Squad. Squared away detective bureau. Yeah lots of jail time and the patrol bureau is pretty small compared to comparably sized SO's in the bay area but overall I've always been impressed in any dealing with ACSO from jail deputy to the Sheriff himself.
          If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

yeah i tried to change the title after i found out some stuff for myself.

thanks for the info on coco...i live in the heart of it so i know the entire area, and since ive grown up here i kinda like it, but other places sound more lucrative... they're not that high payed compared to the other SO's in the area and the whole retirement thing...but damn i love it here. i still have a year before i graduate from college, so that gives me pleanty of time to think about applying anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sgttom
              there are not very many departments that contribute 100 percent of the retirement around.. at least not for us grunts, the first and sometimes second line supervisors. upper management? - that's a different story for another thread..

employee may pay a percentage of his/her monthly salary into their own retirement HOWEVER the agency may match that amount (or pay more or pay less).. depends on the POA / DSA contract with the agency..

It differs from Dept to Dept and all depends on what's been negotiated. Most agencies are at 3 percent at 50, some are 3 / 55, some are 2.5 at 50/52/55..(there are a few at 2 / 55/55 - scary!!) There are even some that just offer a 401K - now that's really scary...
              How does that work?

I mean, I always thought that the 3%@50 or whatever was just what you got, period. You have to pay part of your gross salary to get that? How does "matching" work? What happens if you don't contribute 'enough"? Do you get 2.5% or something, or have to retire at 55 or later, or ???

Comment

Originally posted by jnojr
                How does that work?

I mean, I always thought that the 3%@50 or whatever was just what you got, period. You have to pay part of your gross salary to get that? How does "matching" work? What happens if you don't contribute 'enough"? Do you get 2.5% or something, or have to retire at 55 or later, or ???
                There's not worry about not contributing enough. You don't have the choice to not pay the employee portion. The employee retirement contibution then it gets deducted pre-tax from your check.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeRoy
                  There's not worry about not contributing enough. You don't have the choice to not pay the employee portion. The employee retirement contibution then it gets deducted pre-tax from your check.
                  How much, roughly, is deducted from each check for retirement? I know it's likely to be different from one department to another, but is it closer to $10, $50, $100...

Comment

For PERS agencies on [email protected] plan the officer portion is 9%. This is pre-tax money. My agency makes that 9% contribution on my behalf so it doesn't come out of our salary so I pay nothing.

For agencies on county retirement plans the amount you contribute varies greatly depending on your contract. Some have a plan similar to PERS with a 9% contribution and others have much higher contribution plans like CCCSO who's deputies are paying up to 22% of their base pay into the retirement plan. Remember this money only comes out of your regular pay. Retirement contributions are not taken out of overtime pay.

While you are job searching make sure you inquire how much your retirement contribution will be. That way you can take into consideration what your take home pay will be.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeRoy
                      For PERS agencies on [email protected] plan the officer portion is 9%. This is pre-tax money. My agency makes that 9% contribution on my behalf so it doesn't come out of our salary so I pay nothing.

For agencies on county retirement plans the amount you contribute varies greatly depending on your contract. Some have a plan similar to PERS with a 9% contribution and others have much higher contribution plans like CCCSO who's deputies are paying up to 22% of their base pay into the retirement plan. Remember this money only comes out of your regular pay. Retirement contributions are not taken out of overtime pay.

While you are job searching make sure you inquire how much your retirement contribution will be. That way you can take into consideration what your take home pay will be.
                      Thanks for that info, LeeRoy. Very helpful!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10060 users online. 410 members and 9650 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X