300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contra costa sheriff

has anyone been accepted or does anyone work for them now? standard questions... realistically how long do you work jails? how do you like it? etc etc.

thanks
    (btw if anyone noticed, yes i did change this thread completely and the thread title should be about alameda now, not coco)
    Last edited by leif; 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM.

Originally posted by leif
    has anyone been accepted or does anyone work for them now? standard questions... realistically how long do you work jails? how do you like it? etc etc.

thanks
    (btw if anyone noticed, yes i did change this thread completely and the thread title should be about alameda now, not coco)
    I don't work for them, but know some officers who used to. Most of them hated it, were stuck in jails for 3 or more years and were itching to hit the streets. Couldn't get out on patrol as a deputy so they transferred to a PD and were on the streets in a matter of weeks.

Their academy is also tough, but many agencies around the area frown upon it. It's a lot like boot camp (which is fine) but I've heard many ALCO graduates have trouble dealing with people, because their academy didn't allow them to be independent thinkers. I've also heard that most of the academy instructors just got off working jails and therefore have zero street experience and therefore haven't done what they're teaching you to do.

ALCO SO is also continuing to lose patrol area and more and more cities incorporate in the county or annex previously unincorporated land.
    *Not a cop*

Comment

hmm sounds fun..lol. guess i can scratch them off my list...looks like either santa cruz, santa clara or solano now.

Comment

hmm sounds fun..lol. guess i can scratch them off my list...looks like either santa cruz, santa clara or solano now.
        Are you determined to work for a Sheriff's Dept?

At least with those choices, you don't have to work in the jail.
        *Not a cop*

Comment

determined..no, but higher on my preference list.

btw i love your car... i have an evo.

Comment

Your still quite young, the jail time would really be helpful. Here is my academy notes in case you haven't signed up yet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
            "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

CoCo County:

one of my good buddies works there. at present time, you have to put three years in the jails........... you CAN leave early HOWEVER you risk being transferred back in to finish your time...

this happened to my buddy who has remained in the jails to finish his education and is due back out soon and hopefully into a specialized unit.

Alameda:

what Ismailbu said. tough academy - lots of yelling, PT and moderately high failure rate.... There are quite a few bay area agencies who will not send their new recruits through ALCO... If you can get in as a lateral, you got it made.. ALCO has a good salary negotiated with a "me too" clause.. i.e. ALCO fire gets raise, ALCO SO too, etc... good amount of OT at the baseball / basketball / football games.

Solano:

good place to work at, not as high paid as CoCo and ALCO. Deputies work patrol or investigations (and civil) only, NO jails. I live within Solano County...

Santa Cruz:

No clue about this place.
              ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
              -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by sgttom
                Alameda:

If you can get in as a lateral, you got it made..
                what exactly do you mean?

Comment

what exactly do you mean?
                  He means if you can get hired by ALCO as an academy graduate or an experienced officer. Basically you're lucky if you can get hired by ALCO without having to actually go through their academy.

I graduated the academy with 3 ALCO washouts, and all 3 are currently employed with PD's and doing very, very well. I think that says something about that academy.

Santa Clara SO is a great department full of moto guys, and you won't work jails. You will work courts for a while before going out on patrol, or vice versa, depending on how many FTO's they have. 3 of my classmates are stuck in courts for now. The one thing about Santa Clara that stuck out in my mind was that their patrol cars have no MDTs. Only a radio, a map and a notebook. In the heart of Silicon Valley, with that much money floating around, no computers in the car. Something to think about, where are the county's priorities?

Santa Cruz SO is a good dept, too, but I'd much rather work for Santa Cruz PD. Santa Cruz deputies don't work in the jail, but do work in courts. The county is very rural outside of the incorporated cities (which have their own PDs) lots of trees and lots of narrow winding roads, with backup far away.
                  Last edited by lsmalibu; 01-18-2006, 04:12 AM.
                  *Not a cop*

Comment

yeah im familiar with the santa cruz area, i currently go to school at ucsc (graduating next year).

i just noticed santa cruz so appears to have the poor retirement plan that coco does (unless im intrepreting it wrong.. "employee pays 9% contribution on a pre-tax basis").

does santa clara contribute to the pention or do the deputies? i believe solano county contributes rather than the deputies which would seem to make up for the fact they pay less than coco and alco.

plz note i dont just care about money just trying to understand differences among the departments.

Comment

applies to CA agencies only:

there are not very many departments that contribute 100 percent of the retirement around.. at least not for us grunts, the first and sometimes second line supervisors. upper management? - that's a different story for another thread..

employee may pay a percentage of his/her monthly salary into their own retirement HOWEVER the agency may match that amount (or pay more or pay less).. depends on the POA / DSA contract with the agency..

It differs from Dept to Dept and all depends on what's been negotiated. Most agencies are at 3 percent at 50, some are 3 / 55, some are 2.5 at 50/52/55..(there are a few at 2 / 55/55 - scary!!) There are even some that just offer a 401K - now that's really scary...

It all DEPENDS.... Should be part of your research when joining an agency. Most young bucks don't care, just sign me up and give me a check.... UNTIL, roughly ten and no more than fifteen years later and then it's all about retirement...

Research your move...
                      ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                      -- John Wayne

Comment

^ true... im trying to research about as many departments as i can. that policepay.com or whatever it is was pretty useful, but it lacks department listings.

do you know anything about the santa clara sheriff?

i know the city of santa clara docks a fair amount for their retirement. altho they pay so bloody much i wonder what it really balances out to. any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                          I don't work for them, but know some officers who used to. Most of them hated it, were stuck in jails for 3 or more years and were itching to hit the streets. Couldn't get out on patrol as a deputy so they transferred to a PD and were on the streets in a matter of weeks.

Their academy is also tough, but many agencies around the area frown upon it. It's a lot like boot camp (which is fine) but I've heard many ALCO graduates have trouble dealing with people, because their academy didn't allow them to be independent thinkers. I've also heard that most of the academy instructors just got off working jails and therefore have zero street experience and therefore haven't done what they're teaching you to do.

ALCO SO is also continuing to lose patrol area and more and more cities incorporate in the county or annex previously unincorporated land.
                          The list to go to patrol is very long. Times have changed.

Yes the academy is like boot camp and is very tough. Why would you want to go to an easy academy. The academy is a place where you are given a base to build your structure. What you do with it is YOUR choice after you graduate. The new graduates are just learning the ropes when it comes to dealing with people. They are also young early 20's. So your statement of trouble with dealing with people is incorrect.

Your post is totally incorrect. Hearsay doesn't always represent the truth. If you don't have the correct information, bypass the thread and post where you KNOW the facts. It's not fair, to the individuals who are inquirying about a specific agency, for someone to comment about an agency he doesn't KNOW about.
                          Last edited by deputy x 2; 05-01-2006, 05:08 PM.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                            Yes the academy is like boot camp and is very tough. Why would you want to go to an easy academy. The academy is a place where you are given a base to build your structure. What you do with it is YOUR choice after you graduate. The new graduates are just learning the ropes when it comes to dealing with people. They are also young early 20's. So your statement of trouble with dealing with people is incorrect.

Your statement of not being able to be independent thinkers is also incorrect.

Your statement of the instructors having no street experience is also incorrect. Courses such as CPR, First Aid, ethics etc- no street experience is needed. The courses such as Domestic Violence, Vehicle stops, EVOC etc are all taught by people who have street experience.

Your last comment of ACSO losing patrol area is ALSO incorrect. We have not lost any of area due to the incorporation of cities. The city of Dublin has grown, but we have the contract there and Dublin Police is actually ACSO. There are currently 100 deputies assigned to patrol. Trust me, we don't have enough deputies to cover the area within our jurisdiction.

Your post is totally incorrect. Hearsay doesn't always represent the truth. If you don't have the correct information, bypass the thread and post where you KNOW the facts. It's not fair, to the individuals who are inquirying about a specific agency, for someone to comment about an agency he doesn't KNOW about.
                            I started my post by saying "I don't work for them" but everything I put forward I have heard directly from those who have worked as ALCO deputies or attended the ALCO academy. I'm sorry if what they say and what you say doesn't jive, but I'm just presenting what I've heard and did not imply that it was first hand information. I suppose I could invite those individuals I've talked to on here to post exactly what I just said themselves, but I thought I'd save them the time.

I don't see you disagreeing with Sgt. Tom when he states that several Bay Area agencies that won't send their recruits to the ALCO Academy. Why do you think that is? There's nothing wrong with a tough academy (I said that in my post) but I've been through boot camp. It made me a great Marine, but I don't think it's the best learning environment, IMHO. Maybe it works for people who've never been in the military, but for me, all that yelling and foot-stomping just seems counter-productive.

As for ALCO losing patrol area: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=7
                            So apparently, I'm not the only one who's heard this.
                            *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                              I started my post by saying "I don't work for them" but everything I put forward I have heard directly from those who have worked as ALCO deputies or attended the ALCO academy. I'm sorry if what they say and what you say doesn't jive, but I'm just presenting what I've heard and did not imply that it was first hand information. I suppose I could invite those individuals I've talked to on here to post exactly what I just said themselves, but I thought I'd save them the time.

I don't see you disagreeing with Sgt. Tom when he states that several Bay Area agencies that won't send their recruits to the ALCO Academy. Why do you think that is? There's nothing wrong with a tough academy (I said that in my post) but I've been through boot camp. It made me a great Marine, but I don't think it's the best learning environment, IMHO. Maybe it works for people who've never been in the military, but for me, all that yelling and foot-stomping just seems counter-productive.

As for ALCO losing patrol area: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=7
                              So apparently, I'm not the only one who's heard this.
                              I heard that "All of the WV miners were alive"
                              Last edited by deputy x 2; 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM.
                              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7819 users online. 246 members and 7573 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X