300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD help

I am going to take the written for LAPD. I live in Wisconsin. Can anybody tell me the average time for the entire hiring process?

Good luck on the test. Here's a link.

http://www.joinlapd.com/selection.html

The length of time on your background check usually has to do with how promptly people respond, so give your references a heads up they will be getting something, and to send it back asap.

Everyone out here is hiring, so if it's possible, try to line up testing with other agencies while you are out here.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Nobody, even LAPD, can tell you that. It is all dependant on your life as to how long they take. Not quick though.

Here are my academy notes.
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

There are way to many variables to answer the question. How in-depth might the background be - how many people and places have to be contacted/visited? What medical issues, if any, would have to be clarified?

Some are amazed at how fast they get in, others complain about how long it took....and more often or not, they're both talking about the same amount of time.

Have you made contacted them yet? Have you made arrangements for the out-of-towners quick written, oral, poly????
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I left a message with my case manager yesterday, he was out of the office. Hopefully he calls me back on Monday. One lady I talked to told me that I am eligible for the expedited hiring process, so I hope she was right. The recruiter told me average time for a process is 6 months, depending on how in depth they feel that the background needs to be. Thanks again.

Comment

Expidited hiring process, NO. Expidited testing process, MORE LIKELY. The Department usually spreads out the initial background, written, oral, and a physical agility test over a few weeks. When the applicant is a visiting out-of-towner, they schedule all four within a couple of days, so there's no need for extensive travel to/from LA and back. Good luck!
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Well, I'm back in WI. I took the LAPD written test last night. I also met a girl that has received a conditional from LAPD that lived in the same complex as the friends I was staying with, so I talked to her for a while. I've been back for about an hour and I'm ready to go back to Cali. Oh how I love long hiring processes.

Comment

You know its funny that every yokel from around the countryt that wouldn't BOTHER to apply to their local Depts, always want to come to California! They know NOTHING about the state, the city,its "culture" or way of life,yet they "think" they want to police it! And whats worse? The City of L.A. sh*ts on local applicants whether from the inner city or the suburbs,yet spends $$$$ on out of towners who'd **** on themselves if they had to walk thru So.L.A. ,East LA or the Harbor area WITHOUT a gun and badge !!!! No offense to "out of towners"but why go were you have no ties,history or desire to work for or protect people you don't even know. The only excuse would be that there are NO POLICE JOBS available where you live.Its like being a Mercenary( and all mercenaries care about is $$ and making their lives better).Police work is the same everywhere ,except in L.A. we don't have to pick our A-holes up off snowy sidewalks........
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I call it the "Dragnet effect." People spend so many years seeing LAPD on tv that they view the department soley from a Hollywood view. I'm sure NYPD has the same problem, heck, they are only paying 25k to start their now and are still getting applicants.
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

yes "dragnet"- but YOU live here "P"-and it isn't as easy as our Wi. poster thinks it is. IF he is serious,he'll come down again for at least a week and check out as well as apply for more depts than just LAPD ( for more info he can check this websites listings of California agencies).........
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Wow DOA, you seem to know everthing about me just from a couple of posts. Just because I am applying to out of state departments, you make me sound like a loser ahole. So what if I don't like winter and I am in a situation where I can relocate. I chose the area because from what I know Southern California has great departments with great training. Plus, I do have many ties to the S. Cal area. I spent about 4 weeks there last year alone. And I don't think it is going to be easy. I will consider myself very lucky to get a job with the City of Los Angeles PD. I would prefer to move there first so it would be easier to apply for multiple agencies, but I think I would end up with a $10 job with no benefits for however long it would take me to get hired. It is hard to get a good job when the employer knows that you will only work there until you get a police job. I would definately like to apply for more departments, but on the other hand, I can't afford to fly out every few weeks. If the LAPD thing, doesn't work out, I will probably move to the area to make it easier to apply. DOA, you prejugded me, maybe you are a prejudiced person, I don't know. I'm not applying to LAPD because of a bunch of bad movies and TV shows. If I am lucky enough to get hired, I hope I don't end up with a partner that hates me just because I am from out of state. I am planning on coming back again in the end of April and I am going to be working on getting some things set up, hopefully a ride-along. Sorry, this post is too long.

Comment

No ,I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU ! and if you're insulted by what I posted ,I'm sorry ,but I stick to my guns.you really need to live here first to decide if this is right for you.And you have to weigh what you may potentially be giving up just pursue it. My "beef" isn't with you but the city itself,which WASTES $$$ on applicants from out of town,who they know have to get a california drivers lic, address here , and then they can be considered employable, when they have literally THOUSANDS of local applicants that are bypassed .The City Chief Accounting Office found that LAPD spent more money and time going to Steamboat Springs ,Co.(ski country) than they did trying to hire applicants in the Valley,Orange Co, and So.L.A. combined!!! And as an "out of towner", chasing gangsters,thugs and punks in So.Central or the Valley is not "cool",b*tchin' or hip- its real time life and death, and from what I've seen in Wis. (been to Milwaukee), it is NOT the same .And as far jobs go, you are not a "slave",if you get a temporary job until you can join a dept, an employer here has no choice but honor that.Its your future ,not theirs.You are not a "loser" in my opinion,nor did I ever imply that.And if you TRULY knew anything about L.A ( or So.California) LAPD would probably BE THE LAST Dept you'd apply for. Good luck on whatever choice you take.....

Comment

WOW DOAcop38, thanks for making everyone that's looking into California think you guys are a bunch of *******s. Last time I read the LAPD site, there's no California residency requirement to apply. Your own comment about the city spending thousands of dollars to recruit out-of-town officers....yet bypassing THOUSANDS of local applicants, you think maybe it says something about a lot (not all) of the TYPE of local applicants the LAPD is getting? I see by your profile that your an airport officer, LAX? And I'm only asking here, but are you hostile because you were unable to be hired by the LAPD? Only asking, not slamming.

Does it matter where one wants to become a cop? I mean who gives a rat's *** if one grows up in BFE, but decides he wants to police the streets in Washington, D.C. or NYC? Just because out-of-towners are applying to the lovely LAPD and other Cali cities, does NOT mean there are no jobs for them locally. Maybe they want to make a difference in a diverse community. Ever think of that? Just because one doesn't have ties to a place doesn't mean they have no right to gain employment there.

mdbdmb41, you go for it my man. It's a free country and I hope you do get the LAPD job. Keep us posted. And just for the record, I'm NOT nor have I ever looked into California.
                          Last edited by towncop; 01-29-2006, 01:48 AM.
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Towncop,

The City of Angels has for long had an inferiority complex. It manifests in several ways, one of them being the desire to import east coasters whenever the locals don't seem to cut it.

Case in point: Chief Gates retires amid controversy after Rodney King, and the city hires Philly's Willy Williams. This guy didn't qualify to carry a gun per his duties as a police officer, so the city had to issue him a special permit for concealed carry. He was never respected by rank and file. But he was an east coast chief, and he was black.

Case in point: Chief Parks retires after the Rampart Scandal. The city hires Chief William Bratton, a "doubled-barreled" east coaster with stints in Boston AND New York. The LA Times did extensive coverage of the selection process. Trust me, the city had the best of the best, many of whom from CA, and not necessarily from LAPD brass. Bratton was a shoe in. No other candidate came close. "Can you make us look like New York?" This is a long way from Times Square. Skid row still looks like s***.

Case in point: The LAPD is short on recruiting. Contrary to your suggestion, the candidates from L.A., O.C., San Bernardino, Ventura, San Diego, Riverside are not lacking in qualifications or experience. Candidates generally apply to multiple depts. so if they were poor candidates all around, no other dept. would hire them. If your suggestion were true, every agency in L.A. would be facing a hiring crisis. The problem is that big agencies like the LAPD disqualify candidates for ticky tack stuff. They're the BIG DOGS and have the attitude that "not just anyone can waltz in here." But what is happening is that they're DQ'ing people left and right for stuff that other agencies don't care about. A recent LA Times article outlined the problem. For example, LAPD DQ's people who smoked pot once. One time. The FBI sets the cut off at 15 times. The LAPD DQ's people with "less than perfect" credit without considering extenuating circumstances: an immigrant who recently became a citizen and has worked a menial job for 5 years might have had a hard time building his/her credit record. (These are examples from an LA Times article on the LAPD "reducing" its hiring standards.) Getting to the east coast fixation: when you DQ most of your locals - many of whom have "experimented" in the past (it's not the 1950s you know) - you are left with the rest of the country from which to recruit. They've largely become jaded towards locals because of all those DQ's they've issued. In typical "inferior L.A." fashion, the city assumes the east coasters are better, so they trek to Chicago, Philly and New York to recruit. The tax payer's money spent back east looking for "better" applicants could be better used here at home.

Food for thought, that's all.
                            Focused Recruit

Comment

I recommend to everyone who is thinking about a career in SoCal to ride along with the different departments and get a good idea of who they are and which department is the right fit. Not everyone is cut out to be LAPD, nor is everyone cut out to be Irvine PD. Vacations to SoCal aren't outrageously priced and you can even deduct the cost if you are doing it in preparation for a job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10182 users online. 372 members and 9810 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X