300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California POST Academies?

Okay.... Since finding out that my dad is willing to pay my way through POST.

And living in the Bay Area what are the colleges that offer POST classes.

So far I have only found two : Las Positas College in Livermore and Chabot College in Hayward.

Are there anymore near me? I live close to Oakland.

I want to get a jump on finding out all the information I can about the POST. I have been checking on the POST site at the California homepage.

Thanks....

BBB
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)
    Not Yet Visited: 16
    Baseball Hall of Fame- Visited

POST Academy

Hello.... Evergreen Valley College in San Jose offers a good academy. Right now is a good time to get hired on and have a department sponser you through an academy, lots of job openings. Of course it depends on where you want to work. Good Luck.

Comment

BBB, maybe you've addressed it before, but why dont you apply for a large dept. that will hire you and pay you while they train you.

Comment

CA POST has a list of all the academies on their website, I have the link on CABasic.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

San Francisco Police Academy is next to you. In fact, we're short 300 cops. If you missed the deadline, the window will open up again for accepting applications.

Comment

SF Regional Academy
            CoCoCo SO Academy
            Alameda SO Academy
            Napa Valley Academy
            Evergreen Academy
            ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
            -- John Wayne

Comment

I am applying to Walnut Creek Department.

Also,I want to take the POST classes myself now so I can apply to anywhere I can. Even though I am already doing that.

Doesn't having the POST classes (certification) give you a better chance or no?

My father said he is willing to pay.

But those academies that some of you listed. I do not want to be hired by them. I want to work for a Police Department (not as a Sheriff).

I have applied for the CHP (my test is in Feb-written).

All those academies you mentioned Sgt. Tom,does one have to be with a Police Department to take classes or are there students in there whom are paying for the classes themselves. Then getting hired after receiving the POST.

I am waiting for someone from the college Las Positas to call me back about POST. He is a teacher at the school and a retired Livermore Police Officer.

Thanks...

BBB
              "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

*UPDATED* Visited: 14 (Arizona Diamondbacks, L.A. Dodgers, L.A. Angels, S.D. Padres,Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Florida Marlins, N.Y. Yankees, N.Y. Mets, Boston Red Soxs, Washington Nationals,Seattle Mariners,Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants.)

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                CA POST has a list of all the academies on their website, I have the link on CABasic.

Yeah I checked there.

Comment

You can attend any academy (self sponsered)..with the hopes of someone picking you up.

Walnut Creek....have you looked into WC...in regards to women?

The CHP is not considered a police dept. They are traffic officers.

Do you really know what you want? I'm not trying to be mean...really. Your profile says you are 32yo... 10 years to become vested, not of age to retire. With 20 years of service, you will be 52..unless you want to promote....you might look into the "options" of all depts.

Just my 2 cents
                  Last edited by deputy x 2; 01-04-2006, 04:38 PM.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                    You can attend any academy (self sponsered)..with the hopes of someone picking you up.

Do you really know what you want? I'm not trying to be mean...really. Your profile says you are 32yo... 10 years to become vested, not of age to retire. With 20 years of service, you will be 52..unless you want to promote....you might look into the "options" of all depts.

Just my 2 cents

I have thought about that and I know. This is what I want to do. I know the CHP isn't a Police department.

Why have you heard otherwise about WC not having any women?

Believe me, I have been over and over this in my mind,with friends,family and my bf. This is what I want in life. Yes, I know if I get a job that I will be retiring (or could be) retiring at age 52. But I feel if I do not try then I will not feel good about myself. So people can talk me out of it but I am not going to listen to them.

I have people whom support me and my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2

Just my 2 cents

Most Calpers agencies vest at 5 years from what I have seen and experienced.

I'm assuming you aren't intrested in the sheriff's because of the jail time (since you are intrested in the highway patrol). Some agencies does have seperate patrol and jail deputies, are the patrol deps aren't very different from PD's.

As far as putting yourself through an academy, as others have stated, it's a waste, you can get hired with most agencies off the street, right now is a great time too. It's not just the cost of the academy, it's also the 30 grand (in the bay area atleast) you could have made in salary, and the 6 months in retirement, and wasted time spent in background not working the street after you finish. The certificate issued by a sheriff academy is no different than an other if you are allowed to self sponsor. Many PD's send their people to sheriff academies.

Do some ride alongs with different departments.
                      Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Defintely try to sign up for some ride alongs. They are quite a few departments hiring right now in the Bay Area that are looking for Entry level Police Officers and willing to pay your way into POST. You could go non-affiliate, but you'll still have to test with "some" departments just like everyone else. I wish Baseball Babe good luck, I know you will find your way.

Comment

Never said WC doesn't have women.

Do your homework on the depts you are interested in. Figure out what you want to do ( ie job wise in a pd) and then apply to those who fit your interest
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Thank you all

Comment

Your avatar

Thanks my eyes are doing much better now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9986 users online. 512 members and 9474 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X