300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about department of corrections

HI. my boyfriend lives in CA and he's looking to become a correctional officer. Anybody know what he can do to acheieve this goal? He was in the army for three and half years.
    thanks

yeah, not have his girlfriend do all the work
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

To give you a straight answer to your question, some things, such as his prior work history or other background issues are now out of his control so if he has any skeletons in his closet he needs to read the list of disqualifiers on the DOC web site to see if there is anything in there telling him not to waste his time applying. Assuming a clean background, the military experience is a plus. He will need to study up on any California Corrections Departments study material he can find. Sometimes web sites even publish study materials he can download for the test. I don't know if California does this or not. He can also look for such study guides as published by Arco, Barrons, etc. to get an idea of how these tests work. He should be able to excel in the physical agility test and be mentally and emotionally stable. Basically, it is a matter of testing better than the other candidates when the test is given. The amount of effort he is willing to put in to prepare himself for the testing will determine his chances of being selected over the other cadidates.
      Last edited by calsarge; 12-19-2005, 06:09 AM.
      Poor soul, he was so high-strung. Afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Comment

Message deleted
        Last edited by calsarge; 12-19-2005, 06:07 AM.
        Poor soul, he was so high-strung. Afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Comment

I was just kidding, chill out!!!
          All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Message deleted
            Last edited by calsarge; 12-19-2005, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Im SORRY what I did was wrong, I like the way you put that, very well said.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

here ya go..... lots of info on there including a study guide...

http://www.corr.ca.gov/Personnel/default.asp
                ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
                -- John Wayne

Comment

Becoming correctional officer

Right now we are in serious need of more officers. The CDC is in the process of opening atleast one more academy and the governor is talking about opening three new prisons. Overtime is already through the roof. If your boyfriend has a clean record and isn't crazy, he will probably make the hiring list due to his military background alone. The process is quite timely, however, the background being the longest part. Pays well, though, and is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                    Right now we are in serious need of more officers.
                    Apparently, not too badly... I started the process on the web site, and it told me I could expect to hear back from them in about 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by jnojr
                      Apparently, not too badly... I started the process on the web site, and it told me I could expect to hear back from them in about 6 months
                      They can only fit so many in the academy at once. I am at Galt (the OG academy) and there are close to 900 cadets here now. The CDC opened a second academy in Stockton and there are close to 300 there. I had to wait 2 years. Some of the people in my class waited 4 years to get on. Be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected]
                        If your boyfriend has a clean record and isn't crazy, he will probably make the hiring list due to his military background alone.
                        Agreed! Some of the people in the academy ARE crazy and still got in!

Comment

Originally posted by richjorg
                          They can only fit so many in the academy at once.
                          Understood... but they have no idea if they want to send me to the Academy yet! I haven't done anything... no real application, no POST, no BI, no PAT, no nothing. I have to wait six months just to get started.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11430 users online. 447 members and 10983 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X