300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it transfer?

My boyfriend and I are probably moving out to Cali and he is an North Carolina officer. He wants to continue to work as a police officer but we were wondering if his NC certification will transfer over?? Or at least shorten his time in the academy? Or maybe help him out a lot in getting into POST?

Lateral Transfer

Hello,

Your boyfriend can contact the California POST (www.post.ca.gov). I believe there is a program to challenge Cali POST and then he will have to attend a brief training course to get specific training for California officers.

The only department that I am aware of that we hire an out of state lateral is Huntington Beach PD in southern CA, he will still have to challenge CA's POST program. Good luck.

Comment

Well, if he is able to challenge POST then he'll need to start studying. My notes will certainly help him out. If he has to go through the academy again he'll want them anyway. Here ya go.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks guys!!

One bad thing is he wont have his one year in a PD untill march and he doesn't think he can stay that long at the department he's in. Things arn't going so well..

I also want to be a police officer and have been looking into it all but it looks like i'm going to have to find a job for now so I can move out there.. then once I'm out there I'll have to apply.
        There is no easy way to get a job in Cali when you live in NC is there??

The boyfriend and I are moving over there to help out my mom.. We are looking to rent a house with her once we get there BUT to be able to get a house we need jobs.... very hard to get a job when you live across the country.. We both want to be LEOs but he's the only one who already is one.

ANY advice would be GREAT. I'm losing my mind trying to find both of us a job and a house for all three of us.

Oh we are going to be in the east bay area.. Dublin, Walnutcreek, pleasant hill.. somewhere..

Comment

Check w/ the sheriff and some of the larger dept's they might do expedited processing so you can at least get pretty well started in the process before you move.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I just saw that you signed up for my site Teayota. Make sure you download the oral board questions file I have on there since most CA depts weigh everything on your oral score. I don't provide you answers, that is your job, but I have a huge list of common and some not so common questions. All I ask is that if you get any that aren't on there that you email me and tell me what they asked so I can add them in the file.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              I just saw that you signed up for my site Teayota. Make sure you download the oral board questions file I have on there since most CA depts weigh everything on your oral score. I don't provide you answers, that is your job, but I have a huge list of common and some not so common questions. All I ask is that if you get any that aren't on there that you email me and tell me what they asked so I can add them in the file.
              Yea it looks like it'll be a BIG help!! I got pretty far on an interview here in NC but unfortunatly things didn't work with the academy But the investigator and srgt. there were helping me prepair for theoral board there... it does take a LOT of prep work!!

And i'll check out some departments.. My boyfriend should be ok since he had some prior experiance along with some military time and a little bit of college (not sure how many credits though) Me... I have nothing.. Highschool.. I guess if I move out there and have a diff. job i'll try at a few dept. and if it doesn't work i'll go to college.. or put myself into the academy and take night classes untill someone finally gives me a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                You just rattled off some of the most expensive areas in Cali, you know that right?
                Yup! thats where my mom wants to live.. greatest part is she wants to rent a 3 bedroom house for $1,500 a month.........
                I've found a few in Dublin and Livermore.. so we'll see. Anything for my mother lol

Comment

dont listen to 610

i just got hired in fremont with a guy from colorado, they put him through an expidited hiring process and all that. and dublin and danville are two totally different places, nowhere down here is "cheap" but danville is the extreme uppity up. i know alot of places down here are hiring, in fact i think fremont is doing another written test like every other month. good luck with everything.

Comment

I just looked into this recently. He will have to have a minimum of 664 hours including a basic police academy. College credits transfer at 20 hours per 1 credit of college. His academy would have to meet the minimum mandated required that California academies have. Then he has to pass a test or attend a modified course for I believe 120 hours. Good luck!

Comment

Tough choices have to be made........

Originally posted by samnlexisdad
                      I just looked into this recently. He will have to have a minimum of 664 hours including a basic police academy. College credits transfer at 20 hours per 1 credit of college. His academy would have to meet the minimum mandated required that California academies have. Then he has to pass a test or attend a modified course for I believe 120 hours. Good luck!
                      Good info. for the inquiring NC pair.My take is that they need to get here on "the ground" first,find a job they can get into right away,then plan to make their choices after at least a yr. of preparation.Unless the boyfriend is willing to wait at least until he is off probation and has a 1yr or more( most CA agencies see "laterals" as those peace officers with a min. of 2-3 yrs on),or else just come out here apply around and suck it up , and go back to a basic academy..
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

if you are going to be in the east bay and dont mind a commute your boyfriend should look into Vacaville PD good pay and they love to hire laterals they even hired a guy from canada
                        R.I.P. Officer Wayne McLaughlin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12458 users online. 434 members and 12024 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X