Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Institutes Against Hate Crimes and Terrorism training in L.A.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Institutes Against Hate Crimes and Terrorism training in L.A.

I'm set to travel to Los Angeles on February 4 - 8 to attend the National Institutes Against Hate Crimes and Terrorism training hosted by the The Simon Wiesenthal Center. More information on the training can be found HERE

Anyway, the feds are paying for my airfare to L.A., my hotel room in Beverly Hills, transportation between the hotel and airport, as well as lunch daily. I have a handful of questions.

1.) Has anyone attended the training? I have heard from a couple of Wisconsin officers that it is very good training.

2.) The training runs to 5pm daily. The rest of the evening is open. I am a sports fan, but the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers are all out of town during my stay. (What are the odds of that?) Anyway, any other suggestions on sites I should see? I will be forced to use public transportation, and will have about $200 in spending cash max. I am interested in more touristy things like the Hollywood Walk of Fame. How's Santa Monica (specific the beach and boardwalk) in February? Is Ocean Avenue pretty safe to walk after dark?

3.) I'd also like to see a taping of the Jimmy Kimmel show, but don't know if I can make it there in time. Are there any shows that tape around 7PM, Pacific time?

4.) Where to eat? When I travel, I like to eat at franchises we don't have here in Wisconsin. I'm thinking of places like In 'N Out Burger, Jack in the Box, Baja Fresh, La Salsa, etc. How are those restaurants? Can anyone recommend any similiar franchises that I should hit?

-That's all I can think of ahead of time. Thanks ahead of time. As the trip gets closer, I'm sure I'll think of more questions. Thanks.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Come on Badger, you're comming all the way to CA to go to fast food resurants. The absolute best places to eat are the hole in the wall, grade B or C (or worse) Mexican food places that nobody speaks English in. In and Out is good but honestly, it is just a burger.

Public transportation, LOL Best of luck, go in with a few guys and rent something for a day. Hit Venice Beach and watch the freaks if it is warm.

The Museum of Tolerance (where your conference is) is one of the best museums in the state.

Your also not far from the Getty http://www.getty.edu/ It is about 7 miles from the MoT up the 405. Admission is free.

Have fun out there, 200 won't take you too far but I'm sure you'll have fun anyway.

Be prepared to cry while at the MoT. At the end of the tour they have Holocaust survivor give a speech and take questions. It was amazing listening to their stories of what they went through. I'm nearly tearing up now and it has been about 5 years since I last went. Their are not a lot of them left and you don't want to miss it.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Heya Badger,

I am sure you will enjoy your time in LALA-Land. There is much to do and see.

In-n-Out is a classic and should not be missed. Do a seearch online to see the unique ways of ordering a burger from there. My favorite is "Animal Style" which adds some special sauce and grilled onions...mm mm good.

Baja Fresh is fantastic fast mexican food..I recommend the chicken soft tacos. The Same goes for La Salsa. You cannot go wrong with either.

Jack in the Box...really?! You don't have one? Anyways, the grilled sourdough burger is pretty good, or for healthier faire, get the southwest chicken pita.

If you like hot dogs, Pinks Hot Dogs is a local landmark..they server other things too, but you shouldn't miss it. It is on La Brea in Hollywood.

Enough about food...I am almost ashamed I know that much...I swear I am not overweight.

As far as things to do, Pkagel, is right about the Getty. if you like museums, or just beautiful view of the city, be sure to check it out. Just be sure to be there before dusk so you can see the wonder smog-enhanced sunset...it's very impressive. In my opinion, it is more enjoyable to appreciate the Getty itself and the view, than the artwork inside. Bring snakcs, because it is expensive to eat there.

Beyond the Getty, you can get great free entertainment at Universal City Walk, 3rd Street Promenade, or Hollywood Blvd.

And check this site for Jimmy Kimmel tix: http://www.1iota.com/show.aspx?sid=1

Have fun man!

Comment

Is Fat Burger still around?

La Salsa, Baja Fresh and Rubios for mexican.

Hardy's is called Arby's out here.

Carl's Jr?

Can't really help on the touristy stuff, because I'm not familiar with what is in the immediate area.

Bring layers, because it could be chilly - well for here - or hot!
        Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Yea, Fat Burger is still around but they are using skinnier meat than before, at least in San Clemente.

I honestly can't believe you guys are recommending chain resturants for Mexican food in CA. Sure, some good stuff and lord knows I love Rubios but darnit, you know the best stuff is in da hood.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by willowdared
            Hardy's is called Arby's out here.
            Carl's Jr?
            Bring layers, because it could be chilly - well for here - or hot!
            I thought Hardee's was Carl's Jr out west. Monster Burgers, 6 dollar burgers, curly fries, etc. Good stuff, but enough to give you a heart attack on the spot.

I'm curious what your definition of chilly is. For me, chilly is 15 or 20 degrees. If it's 40 or 50 degrees, I'm outside, short sleeves with no coat on.
            "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

I've never seen it 15 degrees in LA, bring along a sweatshirt at best comming from WI.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerland
                I thought Hardee's was Carl's Jr out west. Monster Burgers, 6 dollar burgers, curly fries, etc. Good stuff, but enough to give you a heart attack on the spot.

I'm curious what your definition of chilly is. For me, chilly is 15 or 20 degrees. If it's 40 or 50 degrees, I'm outside, short sleeves with no coat on.
                Yup - Hardees = Carl's Jr- my bad! Arby's here has the roast beef sandwiches.

As for mexican - anything 'Bertos, but when your talking about local dives, it's cuz you know the food. I'd hate to recommend something and have it suck.

And yeah - sweatshirt/fleece type jacket should be fine for "chilly" I grew up in Wisconsin, so I remember cold!
                Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

'Bertos, LOL!!

I honestly have never had a bad taco at any local dive. I've tried as many as I could find and they have all been awsome. Dunno where your going to find one near BH though. Take Sunset East until it starts getting nasty and you should find some nice places.

I almost forgot two cool and free things to do.

The 1st is going to see Marylin Monroe's grave. At the same place they have a lot of other famous people and is pretty cool. It is off of Sunset behind a big building and you have to be on your toes to catch the road sign. Print a yahoo map and you'll be fine getting to it. http://www.seeing-stars.com/Buried2/PierceBros.shtml

The 2nd cool thing is visiting the LA County Coroner's gift shop. It is way over near USC medical on the East side. Pretty neat though. http://lacstores.co.la.ca.us/coroner/

Originally posted by willowdared
                  As for mexican - anything 'Bertos, but when your talking about local dives, it's cuz you know the food. I'd hate to recommend something and have it suck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11003 users online. 369 members and 10634 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X