300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Any SoCal LEO's

I'm currently a police officer on the East Coast, thinking of resigning from my current position and relocating to the LA/Orange County area in late February 2006. The wife has a good job offer and we'll be closer to family.

Just wondering what the odds are of my obtaining a job within a reasonable amount of time once I'm there. I've got 7 years on the job right now and have a squeaky clean record. Would this be a consideration in expediting the process with a future employer? I've heard quite a few departments in that area are hard up for guys right now, so I'm guessing it's a good time to make the move? I am trying to familiarize myself with the hiring process. I know that I would likely have to enter most departments as a recruit and that's fine with me. Have been checking into LAPD, LASD, OCSD, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

If your looking at the BIG departments: LAPD, LASD, OCSD, .. then your looking at a bit longer of a hiring process. Your experience will certanily help but you will still be in a long line to get to the academy. If you are looking for other departments like Santa Ana, Irvine, Hunnington Beach, etc... your experience will be a great help, especially if you are able to expedite a POST cert in Cali for your LEO Cert on the east coast. If you r able to test for POST many smaller departments will take you that much quicker without having to go to a formal academy.

Comment

Here are all my academy notes so you can prep yourself on CA law. LASD is hiring in droves right now and they are doing it pretty quickly depending on who you are. If you want to get back out on the streets quicker then you might try SBSD or RCSD

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by CarCop
        If your looking at the BIG departments: LAPD, LASD, OCSD, .. then your looking at a bit longer of a hiring process. Your experience will certanily help but you will still be in a long line to get to the academy. If you are looking for other departments like Santa Ana, Irvine, Hunnington Beach, etc... your experience will be a great help, especially if you are able to expedite a POST cert in Cali for your LEO Cert on the east coast. If you r able to test for POST many smaller departments will take you that much quicker without having to go to a formal academy.
        Actually, I talked to my buddy in backgrounds for LASD and he said they cant hire guys fast enough. LASD has a big shortage right now. As for a smaller dept., like stated above, a smaller dept. might waive an academy. LASD or LAPD will require you to attend their academy.

Comment

LASD took quite a few guys from my academy class at FCPA so who knows, they might buy off on his hours, they are pretty desperate. Any way you go, study my notes, it will make it a breeze.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

SBSD is hiring a lot, we've had some big academy classes recently. This is probably a good time, since the budget is considerably better than it has been in years. They can't get enough candidates to fill the positions they are adding. It all depends on where you want to live, the traffic out here can be absolutely horrible, depending on your commute. Have you thought about where you'll be going compared to where your wife's job offer is? I would check out all local agencies nearby. Don't rule out the Sheriffs! We've had plenty of transfers from out of state/out of county.

I've also worked for the District Attorney, and they have a nice salary also, depending on what you would like to do. You could look into that avenue also. I guess you would have to ask the agencies in which you're looking into to find out what the requirements are for out of state transfers.
            The bond that links our true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof. God Bless our LE family!

Comment

A few more things...

The hiring process can be lengthy, so when you do apply it would be beneficial to call the human resources department and let them know where you are coming from, that you may need to take the written and physical in the same day... most agencies are understanding and will work something out with you in regards to the testing/background process. Good luck!
              The bond that links our true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof. God Bless our LE family!

Comment

Alot of agencies out here are hiring right now. But, alot of people are leaving this state too. Aloto f departments are starting over $50,000 a year in my area but a small 2 bedroom home is selling for half a million dollars. Good luck. I'll be in Arkansas soon lol.

Comment

Go to the California POST web site ( CA.POST.GOV) and look for the POST equivalency exam process for out of state officers- you need that POST cert first,then you can apply to the agencies you like ( use your search engine to query orange Co,CA police depts and Los Angeles County Police agencies).LAPD,LASD,OCSD,CHP all have expedited hiring processes for "out of towners",but you need to get on with it PDQ! If you are going to do ,do it-even if you have to wait where you are and send the Wifey on first to CA.
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by samnlexisdad
                    Alot of agencies out here are hiring right now. But, alot of people are leaving this state too. Aloto f departments are starting over $50,000 a year in my area but a small 2 bedroom home is selling for half a million dollars. Good luck. I'll be in Arkansas soon lol.
                    Amen to that. Hopefully you will have good equity from sale of your east coast home to put a healthy down payment down .. otherwise renting is a lot more economically sound out here.
                    Poor soul, he was so high-strung. Afraid the strain was more than he could bear.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8846 users online. 414 members and 8432 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X