300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone work for Oakland PD?

Just wondering if anyone on here works for that department? Im going through the hiring process and wanted to see if I could get a little insight on the department, besides the basic offering of their website. Thanks, -Ryan

Ask to go out on a ride a long. They offer for applicants (not general public tho)...

I'll hook you up with a few guys I know there if you want...
    ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
    -- John Wayne

Comment

hey, I am also going thru the process.. passed written and oral board.. any itdea what they are doing and how many are going to get hired? I have physical agility this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by travisca2311
        hey, I am also going thru the process.. passed written and oral board.. any itdea what they are doing and how many are going to get hired? I have physical agility this weekend.

I just finished a 3 day POST class with a few OPD folks there.. There was the mention of 150 - 200 positions down. Planning to hire about 50 to 80 now with more later..... LOTS of overtime.
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Sgt. Tom,

I too am in the process. In fact, I have my physical test and psych eval tomorrow. I would love to be able to go on a ride-along if possible. I called OPD on three seperate occasions about ride-alongs and I was told that neither the recruiting office, nor the OPD in general offer ride-alongs...seemed odd to me.

Also, would anyone what is considered a good final score? The combined oral and written score.

Thanks in advance for any assitance or advice.

Comment

My brother lives in Oakland so you boys take caqre of him for me.

Comment

My brother lives in Oakland so you boys take care of him for me.

Comment

Yeah I just got done with the physical and psych part today. I seriously felt like will smith in MIB trying to take that test in the auditorium. Was just a tad small to sit for that long, doing a test. Im not sure whats a good final score. I know I did excellent on the written, but unsure of the oral board, and because I am not a resident in Oakland, I missed out on those points also. In the end, I got a 78.01. based on my theory of missing the residency points, I'd say I had a good score. Although I doubt excellent. How long did it take you to do the physical today? I did it in 1:30, but wow did I feel unprepared. Sitting still all that time waiting in line really killed me. -Ryan

Comment

Their website says they hope to put 35-40 in the academy, but im unsure of how large the applicant pool is. I figured that their was 200 people testing today (sat) and not sure if they did two dates. If they didnt, id assume 25% didnt make it past today. I watched some fail the physical, and I watched multiple people fail to turn in the background packet. (Assuming that would disqualify). So did anyone test on a day other then sat 11-12? -Ryan

Comment

Ryan:

good luck with your process.

I'd call the watch commander on the shift you want to go out on. Last I heard, OPD did offer ride a longs HOWEVER, due to the nature of things going on there, they may have cancelled that for now.

LOTS of agencies up your way - Sacramento, that are hiring too.

78.01 = Not a shabby score.... normally, the higher, the better. I'm not sure how they will "score" you overall, i.e. A "bank, B "bank", "C" bank, etc., meaning they will go to folks on the "A" list first, B second, and so on OR just rank you on a list and go by that........

If nothing happens in the next few months, I would re-test also after six months and now that you know the process, come better prepared and score higher.

OPD is hurting for folks, so..........

good luck.
                    -- John Wayne

Comment

OPD Ride-a-longs

I was looking into OPD and was able to go on a few ride-a-longs before I made my decision. It is possible for a non-applicant to go on a ride-a-long if you know an officer. You can go directly through that cop and not through the office. Of course the normal paper work (waivers) applies, but you can fill that out the day of the ride-a-long. I met the OPD guy through another officer I rode with in Sacramento. But he said that you can ask any cop if he is willing to take you on a ride-a-long. If you are interseted in the department, especially OPD becaseu they need people bad, they will be happy to take you, buy them dinner. The two ride-a-longs I went on in Oakland, there were 11 and 9 open beats throughout the city. I did like the city but being that under staffed I decided to look elsewhere. Plus the equipment sucked. It is very lucrative though, both of the guys I rode with made over $110,000 a year, over time of course but baseball games and side shows, fun stuff. You might want to ask to wear a vest if you plan to ride along with OPD. On the second ride I took, Myself along with 2 other officers were shot at randomly, the bullits ricocheting 5 feet from us. Fun times. Have to wear a shirt and tie for the ride-a-longs. Good luck!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6792 users online. 178 members and 6614 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X