Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Cali. police dept to work at?($$,benefits,etc)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cali. police dept to work at?($$,benefits,etc)

I'm looking to make a career change into law enforcement and also move to California. I like the LA and Orange county area. I was stationed in Irive,El Toro when I was a Marine several years ago and have always wanted to go back. I was wondering what the best place to apply to is. I plan on appying to LAPD, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, and Glendale so far. I was originally going apply to the CA state troopers, but now think that I would rather work for a town, city PD as opposed to patrol the highways. Also, I have a college degree, BA in biz management, a 3.5 gpa, and want to get paid for my education. I don't think the Highway patrol pays extra for people with degrees. I know LAPD will give you 5.5% more or something for having a degree.

Just wonderin if anyone could give me any info. I would like to obviously make the most $$$ I could, and wherever has the best pension benefits too.

Thanks,
    mas_oyama

It's all relative to the housing costs where you want to work and how far you want to drive to be able to afford a place to live. PolicePay.net has all the pay, benifit, ect. info. Check out my site for academy notes, ect. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

FWIW, the best in the OC is Santa Ana. High speed, low drag and excellent pay/benifits.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I really needed to add a few things here. You need to look at more than pay/benifits when picking a department if you can. Different departments have different operational characteristics and you need to go with the dept that most closely matches how you would like to operate. If you go only off of what the pay/benifits are you could end up being very unhappy. Take a vacation out here and schedule some ride alongs with various departments that you are interested in and ask a bunch of questions. Make sure you look at Long Beach, the Inland Emprie departments, ect. The I.E. departments are very good and the pay is comparable to the beach dept's but you have the added benifit of less of a commute which is what it is all about out here. You put your ride on the fwy at the wrong time and you'll be lucky to be going 10mph.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

The CHP offers 5% of your base pay for a Bachelor's. Not to mention their 3% @ 50 pension.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/osalary.html
        Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
          The CHP offers 5% of your base pay for a Bachelor's. Not to mention their 3% @ 50 pension.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/html/osalary.html
          Most CA depts offer 5% for a BA. Some offer 5% for an AA and 10% for a BA. Almost all CA depts offer 3% @ 50, that's a pretty standard pension.

Like pkagel said, worry about pay compared to cost of living, not just pay. Lots of Bay Area depts start at over $60 grand a year, but the costs of living in the Bay are ridiculous.
          *Not a cop*

Comment

thanks guys I really appreciate it.

I have a question on the pension. The 3% at 50. What does that mean? I'm assuming that u get 3% of your highest year salary for every year you've been on the force? So, if I hit 50 years old, and been on the force since I was 25, I'd get 25 years x 3% = 75% of my highest salary? Or something to that effect?

Being I'm 31 now, I'd guess I'm working till 56 at least! lol..

Santa Ana. I'll def. look into.

As of now, I'm gonna take the LAPD , Huntington Beach, and Newport Beach, And Glendale tests, as they are in mid Dec. when I plan on making a trip.

I also am assuming that the pension across the board as it's a state pension? Also, isn't there some trouble with Cali's pension system? As in they're broke??

thanks again,

mas_oyama

Comment

malibu, I know 3% @ 50 is pretty standard but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I was just clearing up the fact that the CHP DID offer an educational incentive.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                malibu, I know 3% @ 50 is pretty standard but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I was just clearing up the fact that the CHP DID offer an educational incentive.
                My bad, the way I read your post, it seemed like you were saying 3% @ 50 was something unique to the CHP.
                *Not a cop*

Comment

Originally posted by lsmalibu
                  My bad, the way I read your post, it seemed like you were saying 3% @ 50 was something unique to the CHP.
                  Well it WAS a long time ago....

After re-reading my post, it does seem to imply that only CHP got that pension. Whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by mas_oyama
                    thanks guys I really appreciate it.

I have a question on the pension. The 3% at 50. What does that mean? I'm assuming that u get 3% of your highest year salary for every year you've been on the force? So, if I hit 50 years old, and been on the force since I was 25, I'd get 25 years x 3% = 75% of my highest salary? Or something to that effect?

Being I'm 31 now, I'd guess I'm working till 56 at least! lol..

Santa Ana. I'll def. look into.

As of now, I'm gonna take the LAPD , Huntington Beach, and Newport Beach, And Glendale tests, as they are in mid Dec. when I plan on making a trip.

I also am assuming that the pension across the board as it's a state pension? Also, isn't there some trouble with Cali's pension system? As in they're broke??

thanks again,

mas_oyama
                    Pension system (CALPERS) is not broke....though many would like you to believe it is. People are just mad because I can retire at age 50 with 90% of my base pay as pension.

I'd go to Santa Ana PD if you're going to Orange County.
                    Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

And yes the pension formula was as you stated. (3% times every year worked, using your highest year's salary)

Plus, you have to figure you'll retire making 75-90% of 100k per year. Retire and move somewhere else where your pension will allow you to live in relative economic freedom.
                      Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

Im not sure on the best, but id pick where I wanted to live and then start from there. Id move local, then apply for all of the local jurisdictions and see what happens. Its gonna be alot easier to go through the app. process if your living in the area. Also, some departments give you an edge for being a local resident. I know Oakland adds 5% to your total score, just because you live in oakland. Good luck, -Ryan

Comment

SFPD is not CALPERS

Just as an FYI, if you are concerned about coming to Cailfornia and having your pension pulled out from under you, the San Francisco Police Pension is NOT Calpers, so the guys in Sacramento can't touch it.

The only thing is that SFPD has two lists right now, with around 1400 people waiting to get into the department.

Comment

Thanks again everyone.

I'm planning a trip out there in December. I don't finish school here in Philadelphia until June 06'. So I'm trying to go through the phases starting in December, and fly back when I have to for each additional phases. This way, if all goes well, I will be able to graduate in June, and move to Cali, and go right into the academy. Instead of waiting to start the process when I finish school in June. I need to start working!!! School and living expenses add up quickly!! But I'm def. pretty amp'd about the possibility of moving out there and getting into Law Enforcement. LAPD has an expeditied test where I can take the first 9 phases or so in a few days (for out of towners). Not sure exactly how I feel about going into the LAPD, but I guess it can't be much worse than Philly, huh? Philly pretty bad in some areas.

Funny, I went back to school to finish my degree and planned on going back to work on Wall Street and being some hot shot trader. But the past year I've really started to think about how shallow I was thinking, and want to do something more meaningful. A friend mentioned the NJ state Troopers was hiring and I slowly started to realize I'd really enjoy being a 'cop',, or trooper, whatever. Anyway,,,, raining and crappy here in Philly.. The east coast weather really sucks. Would be get to have 70 weather everyday...

Thanks again,,,

mas_oyama

Comment

LAPD is good, CHP...but also try Santa ana PD...Beverly hills pays well..good benifits. Take your time and research all the dept's that interest you..don't be afraid to look all over the state. You just have to see what is going to work for you....agency, benifits, pay...where you plan to live..just stay away from the desert....it's depressing.lol Good luck!
                              And yes thats the way I wanted to spell it!lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6496 users online. 353 members and 6143 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X