• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does San Diego County arm their DPOs?

Comment

Originally posted by jnojr
      Does San Diego County arm their DPOs?
      Probation Officer here in Northern California. Yes, San Diego County Probation Department arms their DPO's. I believe it's optional for their officers. Last time I checked, they had about 100 armed DPO's. As I mentioned in past posts...it's INSANE that some departments aren't arming their DPO's. You couldn't pay me enough to enter the home (a.k.a. trailer) of a convicted felon to conduct a search and go 10-15 unarmed. Every contact we make in Probation is with a dirtbag. We don't respond to any other calls. Our officer safety risk is high every time we step foot into the field...and in the office. I can't count how many times I've visited a home to make a "routine" check on a felon and have come across several "mystery" parolees or probationers in back rooms. We're fortunate up here to work daily with our S.O. and PD brothers. I'm with fellow DPO's and S.O./PD brothers on every search and warrant service. They love working with us as well. They lick their chops when they find out a dirtbag is on felony probation with full search and seizure. No need for the Judge to sign to make entry!! It's great to see the face of a probationer when the team makes entry.

Comment

Per A.G. Ruling 70, DPO's can not be restricted from carrying off duty.

It states that DPO's have full Peace Officer powers on duty, which includes status and authority.

Off-duty DPO's have 24 hour status, but not the authority to effect arrest (Use Peace Officer powers). Status provides the authority to carry, your good to go.

CHECK OUT THE AG RULING REGARDING DPO'S AND OFF-DUTY CARRY.

Comment

I think they should carry 24-7. I know the local PO's here carry both on and off.

Comment

Thata always some legal and political B.S. L.A. Co.Probation officers have the same problem-many carry off duty;however I've seen incidents wear some of these P.Os get dimed off for less than positive contacts with other L.E. agencies and then get into trouble( The head probation Chief is scared of the Sheriffs'dept and the dist Attys' inv.unit and has a 60s "rehabilitation" mentality).For people that need a B.S. just to get the job,you'd think thatthey would be smart enough to rationally carry a firearm when dealing with their career criminal "clients"-,There are actually some stupid and conflicting authorities in the CA Penal code regarding diffrent classes of peace officers-L.A. city Park Rangers actually have to arrest FELONS on a regular basis and are peace officers under 830.31 PC,yet can only carry OC and batons,handcuffs-but they carry off duty.L.A.s'newest Dept.OPS/General Services PD have a CANNOT CARRY OFF DUTY clause in the penal code,yet are expected to patrol and make regular arrests(imagine going to court "naked" and running into the Defendant and his crew in the courts parking lot!).I know chicken **** little depts in the San Gabriel Vly that have tried to actually arrest and prosecute some of these officers and rangers when they found guns on them( The D.A. won't file on the charge though)_..........
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

[( The head probation Chief is scared of the Sheriffs'dept and the dist Attys' inv.unit and has a 60s "rehabilitation" mentality).

Why is the probation Chief scared of the LASD?

Comment

Its the "peter"(pritchess) principle.......

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
                [( The head probation Chief is scared of the Sheriffs'dept and the dist Attys' inv.unit and has a 60s "rehabilitation" mentality).

Why is the probation Chief scared of the LASD?
                - for the same reason the L.A.County Police ,bows down when dealing with LASD-fear of insulting "big brother"-But their lack of "handling business is what ****es most LASD personnel I know off,not their actual taking enforcement responsibilities! Probation seems to now try and steer away from arresting and prosecuting their "charges", and allows LASD deputies or D.A. investigators to go after the violators. The mentality- ask many NEW naive probation officers and future recruits and they'll tell you that they join probation to "help people" who have had brushes with the law.With the exception of a few gang/narco task forces locally, many P/Os follow the direction of their chief,who has been on the job too long and is still preaching that '60s liberal rehabilitation B.S.- criminals that want to change ,change themselves( and with little help!),most of the people on probation see it as a way to duck the gry bar hotel and con't their criminal activity-andf far to many active probation officers are pigeon holed into being little more than baby sitters by the Dept itself.If probation was more active it would demand a bigger budget and that would conflict with what Sheriff Baca needs for his own Dept.It would also draw more scrutiny on the Prob. dept and alot of problems would come to light.I've had family members who were P/Os and they would tell me how the Dept had a habit of shying away from alot of enforcement-the attitude was that it was better for the Deputies to be OVERWORKED and take risks with the probation violators than the P/Os themselves!And the P/Os don't get basic academy training,but a modified trng that I think doesn't fulfill what they really need to do their jobs .Part "cop" part social worker?great,but it doesn't seem to work......
                Last edited by DOAcop38; 11-25-2005, 09:49 PM.
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by DOAcop38
                  - for the same reason the L.A.County Police ,bows down when dealing with LASD-fear of insulting "big brother"-But their lack of "handling business is what ****es most LASD personnel I know off,not their actual taking enforcement responsibilities! Probation seems to now try and steer away from arresting and prosecuting their "charges", and allows LASD deputies or D.A. investigators to go after the violators. The mentality- ask many NEW naive probation officers and future recruits and they'll tell you that they join probation to "help people" who have had brushes with the law.With the exception of a few gang/narco task forces locally, many P/Os follow the direction of their chief,who has been on the job too long and is still preaching that '60s liberal rehabilitation B.S.- criminals that want to change ,change themselves( and with little help!),most of the people on probation see it as a way to duck the gry bar hotel and con't their criminal activity-andf far to many active probation officers are pigeon holed into being little more than baby sitters by the Dept itself.If probation was more active it would demand a bigger budget and that would conflict with what Sheriff Baca needs for his own Dept.It would also draw more scrutiny on the Prob. dept and alot of problems would come to light.I've had family members who were P/Os and they would tell me how the Dept had a habit of shying away from alot of enforcement-the attitude was that it was better for the Deputies to be OVERWORKED and take risks with the probation violators than the P/Os themselves!And the P/Os don't get basic academy training,but a modified trng that I think doesn't fulfill what they really need to do their jobs .Part "cop" part social worker?great,but it doesn't seem to work......
                  Well said. You hit it right on the head. I'm a Probation Officer here in Northern California. It's absolutely ridiculous that there are Chief Probation Officers running their county Probation Departments like Social Services. I'm very fortunate to work for a Chief that understands the reality of our job. We're armed on and off duty. I still can't believe there are P.O.'s out there in the field unarmed??? INSANE!! I mean hell, how many S.O. Deputies, P.D. Officers, or Narc Task Force Members would be willing to enter the home.....I mean trailer....of a convicted felon with 148 and 243 history with the intent to go 10-15 UNARMED??? None. It's fricking nuts. The reality is that we work with dirtbags 100% of the time. Every person we come in contact with is a convicted offender, usually felons. I'm all for helping one of my offenders get his or her life back on track if he or she is truly trying. I just do it with my vest, G22 .40 and OC...always on. There's a reason these dirtbags are on Probation. Many of my probationers are ex-parolees that for some ridiculous reason have been granted probation AGAIN!!...

We work every day with our S.O. and P.D. brothers and sisters. In fact, we're on several County Task Forces (Narc, DV). Our S.O and local P.D.'s work with us daily...because they're smart enough to realize tha well all work with the same dirtbags!! They provide us with great intel on what our Probationers are up to...and of course they lick their chops when they find out a subject is on Probation with full Search and Seizure!! No need for the judge to sign to make entry!!

I truly hope other county Probation Departments throughout the state become more pro-active in establishing partnerships with S.O.'s and PD's. Probation and local law enforcement partnerships are a no-brainer! It's too bad to hear that some big county S.O's don't consider Probation Departments worth partnering with...or vice versa. It's a win win situation.

Comment

Originally posted by jerkyg
                    Follow the link below and read the court case and opinon. This will clear up a lot of the questions regarding off duty carry for probation/peace officers. If you have more questions, email Jeff. He is a wealth of information.

http://ocpsu.netfirms.com/offduty.htm

Be safe.
                    Great link...thanks. Yeah, we've been going by the Attorney General's ruling for quite some time now. Myself and all of my fellow Probation Officers carry off-duty. Our Chief and Deputy Chief do as well. It's INSANE that there's even a thought that Probation Officers shouldn't carry on or off-duty. As I've said in prior posts, we deal with dirtbags 100% of the time. I'm armed from the moment I leave home to the moment I get home. Living and working in a rural county, I can't count how many times I've come across felons that I've hooked and booked on my days off. Usually when I'm off fishing or hiking...by myself! It's always nice to know that my Kimber is with me.

I'm still amazed that there are Probation Departments that refuse to arm their P.O.'s.!! You couldn't pay me enough to do what we do unarmed!!

I pray for those brothers that are forced to do so. I hope their local S.O. Deputies and P.D. Officers make entry first!!! We work with our local agencies daily...it's a great partnership. Be safe!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7425 users online. 206 members and 7219 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X