300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHP Application Time Frame

Hey all, just a question for those of you in the know. I am looking at submitting an application to the Coastal Division for either the October 2005 or the April 2006 deadline. In the past, I've heard that the CHP hiring process can take 1.5 to 2 years until a candidate receives an appointment to the academy. Is this still the case? I am looking at another two years of college before graduating (June of 2007), so it seems that I should submit my application by the October '05 deadline.

This sounds ideal, in fact the only reason I'd consider delaying until the April deadline is so that I could be in better physical shape for the PAT.

The other thing is, if the process is faster than it was before, and I am fortunate enough to receive an invite to the academy before I have graduated, would it be possible to defer my entrance into the academy until after I graduate? I know this is putting the cart before the horse, but I think it could help in deciding which deadline to apply.

Thanks!
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

It's kinda hard to narrow down how long the process will take. A lot depends on your background investigation. BUT, all things going well, 1-1.5 years seems to be the norm. CHP is hiring and trying to get the #'s up so they are trying to move it along as quick as possible. As for delaying your entry into the academy, The CHP does allow that for good reasons. Graduating from college, I'm sure, will suffice. Of course you have to get an acceptance letter first.

Comment

Thanks for the input, CarCop. As long as there isn't a hiring freeze, it looks like I'll be OK applying in either October or April.

Thanks again,

Monty
      Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Welpe,

I just talked to a CHP buddy of mine and he confirmed everything CarCop said. But do you REALLY wanna be CHP? Ewww...

I guess there are worse places to work, though.
        *Not a cop*

Comment

Thanks, malibu. The CHP appeals to me for several reasons. I'm not a fan of the 5/8's schedule but the ability to move around the state and do different things is quite attractive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3059 users online. 158 members and 2901 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X