300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Alcoholic Beverage Control Agent?

I dropped them an application but for the life of me I can't seem to find much about what they actually do. I've never even heard of this agency until recently. Does anyone here have any knowledge of what their agents do or better yet worked for them? I'd like a better picture of what they do before I attend their testing.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

There's some older threads on them. If you Google "CA ABC officer.com" you should be able to get some good info. They go through regular academies. Not sure how much has changed since the older posts, but they should be a good start.

Comment

I've never worked for them but I have worked with them. Probably 1/3 of their duties are criminal enforcement and 2/3 are administrative enforcement. They have a variety of duties.

They will go into bars in plain clothes and look for ABC administrative (licensing) violations and criminal violations. This can range from bartender and server conduct to allowing prostitution, serving underage persons, drug activity, bookmaking, etc. There are times when an agent might be assigned to a drug or other task force, bit it isn't that often.

They do background investigations on ABC license applicants, investigation complaints of bars creating neighborhood nuisances (loud music, crowds hanging out outside or in the neighborhood, etc.) If someone applies for a bar license, they will interview neighbors to determine if granting the license will have a negative impact on the neighborhood. This can weigh heavily on whether a license is granted.

You have three pay bands you can go through taking you to a top step of (I believe) $6508, plus there are other incentives such as education pay and public safety retirement. I don't remember if ABC sends its people to a full POST Academy or a modified Investigator Academy. If it is the latter, this could pose difficulty if you wanted to lateral to a city PD or county SO later.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        I've never worked for them but I have worked with them. Probably 1/3 of their duties are criminal enforcement and 2/3 are administrative enforcement. They have a variety of duties.

They will go into bars in plain clothes and look for ABC administrative (licensing) violations and criminal violations. This can range from bartender and server conduct to allowing prostitution, serving underage persons, drug activity, bookmaking, etc. There are times when an agent might be assigned to a drug or other task force, bit it isn't that often.

They do background investigations on ABC license applicants, investigation complaints of bars creating neighborhood nuisances (loud music, crowds hanging out outside or in the neighborhood, etc.) If someone applies for a bar license, they will interview neighbors to determine if granting the license will have a negative impact on the neighborhood. This can weigh heavily on whether a license is granted.

You have three pay bands you can go through taking you to a top step of (I believe) $6508, plus there are other incentives such as education pay and public safety retirement. I don't remember if ABC sends its people to a full POST Academy or a modified Investigator Academy. If it is the latter, this could pose difficulty if you wanted to lateral to a city PD or county SO later.
        Understood. The only video I could find on Youtube basically talked about how ABC agents investigate incidents involving drunk minors but normal police/CHP already do that.

I saw the pay band in the flyer and it's pretty low for the Bay Area but it's still a livable wage.

From searching threads on here it seems like they now send their agents to a regular academy but even if they don't from what has been explained to me by someone working at POST I can take individual academy modules out of pocket to qualify for normal police.

Comment

As of July 1, 2016 with the new union contract, ABC Agent's will get a 12.88% increase to their max top step, which puts them at $7346.

Comment

Here's a short video I just found of one of their operations: https://vimeo.com/159143086

"It is what it is."

Comment

They send them to a full POST academy. I had a friend recently who went through OCSA and was hired by ABC.

Comment

Originally posted by CA_State_Investigator View Post
                As of July 1, 2016 with the new union contract, ABC Agent's will get a 12.88% increase to their max top step, which puts them at $7346.

That's a decent pay raise!
                semper destravit

Comment

Definitely. The best thing ABC did was to change their job classification from investigator to agent, which helped separate them from the rest of the other state investigators, which in turn gave them more leverage to negotiate for a higher max. Kind of how CA DOJ special agents are at higher max too.

Comment

I saw that change. Now it makes sense.
                    semper destravit

Comment

Wow. Crap pay for a top step state investigator. I feel bad for the ABC agents that the state treats them like that.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                        Wow. Crap pay for a top step state investigator. I feel bad for the ABC agents that the state treats them like that.
                        Especially since they are almost entirely self funded!
                        semper destravit

Comment

I know of a couple of ABC agents, they have a very large area to cover (multiple cities/counties). They don't get paid much but they have a lot of freedom and mainly deal with alcohol related stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CA Cop View Post
                            I know of a couple of ABC agents, they have a very large area to cover (multiple cities/counties). They don't get paid much but they have a lot of freedom and mainly deal with alcohol related stuff.
                            Do they know if the agency is in need of agents still? Because I've heard conflicting reports on that front.

Comment

Last I heard ABC was having a huge recruitment and retention problem that was why the pay increase was finally approved. I'm pretty sure they are still way understaffed, but with the pay increase that should help recruitment and keep some of the folks that were thinking of lateraling to CA DOJ and/or Parole/CDCR Special Agent.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7262 users online. 433 members and 6829 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X