300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working for TWO departments

Can anyone advise if California has a law keeping me from working for two departments?

Example would be I am FT SO but could work PT for City PD.

Thanks
    Last edited by Deputyhcsd; 06-09-2016, 04:05 PM.

No. <s>California law might</s>

Edit: wtf am I talking about?

No. Departmental policy might.
    Last edited by Blizz; 06-10-2016, 11:02 AM.
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Well.... Santa Clara PD allows "double badging" for their Special Event Officers. Your home agency has to allow it too, most don't.
      semper destravit

Comment

Either agency may have a policy prohibiting working for another agency. Usually this is due to the liability including the officer having to remember two policy manuals, especially during stress situations. Wouldn't it make better financial sense to work ot shifts at your own Agency?

Comment

Yes I am Northern California we have none lol.

Comment

I know an OC deputy that is a paid reserve at a OC City PD. No law against it. Up to both agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputyhcsd View Post
              Can anyone advise if California has a law keeping me from working for two departments?

Thanks
              Probably not illegal.....probably extremely against policy with any large sized agency.....you cant even be a reserve with us if you are a full time LEO anywhere else.....never mind being a full time deputy and working another agency as a reserve
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Deputyhcsd View Post

Thanks
                No California law against working for two agencies.

I've done it in the past, it falls under secondary employment policy. My agency requires that a member be off probation before submitting their request for approval.

There are restrictions though. Cannot exceed a certain number of hours, conflict of interest jobs, etc...

Comment

Thanks for all the reply's. I have not asked my Patrol Commander yet, didn't want to waist his time if its not aloud by law. Seems OK, if both agencies are cool with it.

Comment

No. It's up to your Sheriff, not a Patrol Commander. I'm hoping his reply will be:"Don't like it here. Move on..."

Waist: the middle portion of a human.

Aloud: To be audible.

Jeebus....

Comment

A lot is going to depend on the conflict of interest rules for both agencies and how much liability they wish to share.

It is a general requirement of most law enforcement agencies that you be willing and able to report for duty at any time in an emergency. In a major emergency that effects both agencies, both may want you to report for duty at the same time. You cannot serve two masters in this situation.

Similarly, if you engage in an of duty law enforcement activity and are injured or sued, which agency must accept liability for your workers comp injury and which agency will be required to defend you in the civil action as required under the Government Code? What will you do when each agency refuses to provide you with coverage, points their finger at the other agency and says you were the other agency's employee when the incident occurred? (This happened to one of my coworkers many years ago in a workers comp matter.)

Finally, what happens if you are off duty and get into a use of force incident where the procedure you use is in keeping with the policies of Agency A but violates the practices of Agency B? You claim you were acting in the capacity of an officer with Agency A, but seeing the potential for money, the bad guy's attorney says that's just a dodge and as an employee of Agency B, you had an obligation to follow their more restrictive use of force practices. He then sues both you and Agency B. Agency B refuses to defend you because you deny you were acting as their employee.

It's because of the potential for cross liability that many agencies will not allow secondary jobs as peace officers.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Waist: the middle portion of a human.

Jeebus....

Yeah I noticed that too....and this guy is writing reports and testifying in court?

That's scary..

Comment

It's Humbolt County... Allegedly. A couple of years ago they were going to stop patrol and turn it over to the CHP.

That's if this person is to be believed.
                          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
                            No. <s>California law might</s>

Edit: wtf am I talking about?

No. Departmental policy might.
                            Makers mark?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Jeebus....
                              Oh come on, without mistakes like that to correct there would be less need for Sergeants. Poor spelling and grammar = job security.
                              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5194 users online. 330 members and 4864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X