300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bart PD

Hey guys. I don't here a lot of talk about BART PD around these parts, however, I've heard from different people that BART is one of the best places to work. I've been in the process with them for awhile now and hoping to get through the process soon with (hopefully) a job offer. Can anybody tell me what separates BART in terms of desirability with a department like SFPD? As far as benefits, training, job responsibilities etc. They seems to be pretty comparable from what I can tell. Both seem to be great departments.

I'm also going through the process with SF. Just curious. Would love to here a comparison between the two.

thanks

Originally posted by Jp_1230 View Post
    Hey guys. I don't here a lot of talk about BART PD around these parts, however, I've heard from different people that BART is one of the best places to work. I've been in the process with them for awhile now and hoping to get through the process soon with (hopefully) a job offer. Can anybody tell me what separates BART in terms of desirability with a department like SFPD? As far as benefits, training, job responsibilities etc. They seems to be pretty comparable from what I can tell. Both seem to be great departments.

I'm also going through the process with SF. Just curious. Would love to here a comparison between the two.

thanks
    What's the difference between the two? Can you not see the difference between the one of the biggest cities in California and a Transit District?

Have you ever heard of an officer named Johannes Mehersle? I would suggest reviewing his story.
    semper destravit

Comment

Thanks for replying to my thread. I appreciate it. I do think you misunderstood the question though, as I was referring to specifics in day to day duties, benifits etc.

I am familiar with the person youre referring to. But Im not sure the relevance.

thanks,

Jp

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
        Have you ever heard of an officer named Johannes Mehersle? I would suggest reviewing his story.
        How is this relevant? It was one officer. Officers from all types of departments mess up. Doesn't mean an applicant should stray away from those agencies.

Comment

SFPD handles a city and all the problems that go with it.

BART PD handles a transit district and all the problems that go with it.

One is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The other closes its doors around midnight every night.

Your day-yo-day at BART can get pretty crazy but it is entirely focused around the Station and other district owned property. Most of your problems can be solved (in the short term) with kicking them off the train/out of the station. SFPD can't do that.

You handle calls for service at both and inbetween calls you are free to take enforcement action (car/ped stops). You can also drive around and watch the parking lots for vehicle burglaries or the stations for grafiit. The District has set goals and standing policies about dealing with the homeless who sleep in the stations.

As a BART cop you ability to get called to a residential issue or a neighbor argument is very low (bordering on zero-unless we are talking about the homeless).

Benefits wise, both have good benefits. It really depends on where you want to go. SF is a self funded retirement agency, BART has CalPERS. BART has 5 counties to service and draw taxes from.

His story is relevant. You will learn.
          semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
            What's the difference between the two? Can you not see the difference between the one of the biggest cities in California and a Transit District?

Your answer is not relevant to what the question was asked . BART Police is any other law enforcement responsible to enforce laws within its jurisdiction . They do offer higher salary than other agencies and Bart employees have good benefits . They also provide training accordingly to POST guidelines .The time frame to get hire takes long as SFPD

Comment

With the exception of pay and benefits you are comparing apples to oranges. SFPD by itself is culturally different from many other Bay Area agencies. Many of us have often heard of it referred to as an East Coast PD on the West Coast. SFPD has lots of cool gigs, a strong union, and a city that generally supports them but doesn't really understand them. Look at the latest bru-hah over the shooting of the stabbing suspect. Also the DA's office is very political and the effectiveness of the police department in combating crime requires a DA to prosecute violations. The current DA is a major architect in our crime reforms over the past two years that many are blaming for an uptick in drug related crime.

BART PD polices a transit district. While every task BART PD officers do are ones that an SFPD street cop might do there are lots of calls as a city cop that you'll rarely if ever get exposed to at BART. BART's day to day mission is to protect the riders and the district. BPD officers are discouraged from doing police work off property. My brother just retired there and lateraled there post-shooting from a city PD. He described an agency where the bulk of the officers are rusty in basic municipal officer skills (traffic, DUI, domestics, search and seizure) because the bulk of their duties are related to high visibility foot patrol and taking cold reports from victims. My brother enjoyed his time there and got into stuff and there is plenty of police work to do there. Just go there knowing that's the kind of job you want.

True story here. Cops used to be able to badge your way easily on trains (you have to get a pass now) and I was taking BART home from the airport once. I on viewed this gal whipping out a sharpie marker and defacing some advertising poster on the train. I figured I'd do my civic duty and call it in since I was riding for free. I followed the suspect off and coordinated to BART officers to stop her. Then they asked me what I wanted done since I had called it in. I told them it was their district and their train and I was just calling in the vandalism that I saw. They ended up cutting her loose after running her out. She she didn't like that the poster had some rapper's picture that she didn't like and wanted to express her disgust that he was on ad. I was kind of put off as it came off that they were only going to take action if I demanded it. I'm sure there's always more to the story. Maybe they were down 4 arrests already and had plans to fly to Hawaii that night to spend some of their Raider game overtime money.

I've had lots of good interactions with them over the years but nothing that counters my brother's insider opinion of the agency. Since there was a lot of BART bashing after the shooting they seemed to hit a low spot with administrative foolishness and lowest common denominator supervision. It seems like they are on the mend now.
              If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

I spent a couple years working for a PD which routinely responded to assist BART PD on cover calls and on occasion and when available my agency would be dispatched to advise on BART calls when BART PD Officers had a extended ETA. I also attended the academy with several BART PD sponsored recruits who I maintained somewhat frequent contact with while working in the Bay Area.

Based on conversations with my academy mates, they enjoyed the overtime, money and benefits. They didn't like the politics, policies, lack of diversity in duties and inability to truly be proactive. They also cited lack of specialized assignments as reasons they would consider leaving.

Aside from the benefits and pay I didn't find the prospect of working for BART appealing. The reason was simple, I wanted to work with a tight group of guys and gals who wanted to go out and hunt. As a new/young cop I found working with a group of other young/new cops, in a team type environment is what satisfied me most. Prowling around at 3:30 in the morning, or sitting on a dope pad in the shadows with your beat partners is what makes me tick. I'm sure BART PD guys get after it, but it might be harder when you have a beat partner who needs to walk a platform 2 cities away and your other beat partner is stuck on the other side of the Bay Bridge because something he/she had to shred into another beat for a cover call.

Just my .02 for what it's worth. Good Luck !
                Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Thanks guys for all the thoughts and opinions. Really insightful. I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond.

Hockeyfan, thats a very interesting take you gave on this comparison. Do you know how long the academy was for BART? I know they train their guys over in Dublin.

thanks

Comment

POST academy. Six months-ish.

Comment

I see. Thanks for the quick response. Appreciate it.

Comment

[QUOTE=LeeRoy;3836030]
                        True story here. Cops used to be able to badge your way easily on trains (you have to get a pass now) and I was taking BART home from the airport once. I on viewed this gal whipping out a sharpie marker and defacing some advertising poster on the train. I figured I'd do my civic duty and call it in since I was riding for free. I followed the suspect off and coordinated to BART officers to stop her. Then they asked me what I wanted done since I had called it in. I told them it was their district and their train and I was just calling in the vandalism that I saw. They ended up cutting her loose after running her out. She she didn't like that the poster had some rapper's picture that she didn't like and wanted to express her disgust that he was on ad. I was kind of put off as it came off that they were only going to take action if I demanded it. I'm sure there's always more to the story. Maybe they were down 4 arrests already and had plans to fly to Hawaii that night to spend some of their Raider game overtime money. QUOTE]

I would imagine they probably cut her loose because it was most likely a misdemeanor vandalism not committed in their presence, and since you on-viewed it they would need you to do the C.A. Just my guess, I could be wrong too

OP, if you're interested in what kind of policing they do (calls for service, etc.) I would recommend picking up a scanner that broadcasts their radio traffic. I know you can listen on Broadcastify.

Comment

Originally posted by emoney View Post
                          I would imagine they probably cut her loose because it was most likely a misdemeanor vandalism not committed in their presence, and since you on-viewed it they would need you to do the C.A. Just my guess, I could be wrong too

OP, if you're interested in what kind of policing they do (calls for service, etc.) I would recommend picking up a scanner that broadcasts their radio traffic. I know you can listen on Broadcastify.
                          Dude seriously your a cop? Since dude was riding the train in uinformation he is technically on duty, part of the agreement to ride for free regardless if it's after your shift or not. BART PD was just being lazy. All they had to do is put LeeRot"s statements who he works for and them taking custody. Quick statement of facts cite the chick out and be done.

You sure your sworn?
                          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                            Dude seriously your a cop? Since dude was riding the train in uinformation he is technically on duty, part of the agreement to ride for free regardless if it's after your shift or not. BART PD was just being lazy. All they had to do is put LeeRot"s statements who he works for and them taking custody. Quick statement of facts cite the chick out and be done.

You sure your sworn?
                            First of all, LeeRoy did not state in his comment that he was in uniform, he simply stated that he was taking BART home from the airport. Most likely showed a badge to the station agent.

Second, since I am "assuming" LeeRoy was in fact not in uniform, he is reporting the vandalism to BART PD as a normal citizen would. The crime, "most likely" a misdemeanor vandalism, occurred outside of the BART officer's presence. Not sure what agency you work for, but here in CA it's my understanding we have to follow the laws regarding arrests for misdemeanors not committed in our presence, which unfortunately don't include being able to arrest for vandalism. DV yes, vandalism no.

That in turn would necessitate the C.A. by LeeRoy, to which if he wanted to could sign or not. If he did not wish to proceed further, fuggetaboutit and suspect is cut loose, no harm no foul. Heck, the officer could even write a complaint and forward it to the D.A. for review, but no citation or arrest.

It's really not a big deal, they didn't cite/arrest, everyone went home safe and all is well.

If I'm wrong, then someone knowledgable please correct any misinformation I put out.
                            Last edited by emoney; 03-17-2016, 01:47 AM.

Comment

California peace officers have full authority 24/7. LeeRoy would not be making a private person's arrest, but a regular one. All the BART officer had to do was scratch a cite with a court date and list LeeRoy as the arresting officer.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2254 users online. 138 members and 2116 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X