Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey everyone, new to the forum. I started the process with Oakland last year and have completed everything including medical, but haven't heard anything since. From what I've read on here seems like I'm not the only one? I completed my medical and live scan about six weeks ago... anyone else on here in the same group? I applied in April 2016 and had my PAT in June 2016.

Comment

• m_sharif
      m_sharif commented
      Editing a comment
      GT00, you right about that. No college graduates, with few exceptions, make 100k right after undergraduate degree. But, one thing I can say some major might be more in higher demand than others. I have Administration of Justice and will change it to Business or CS since those are more variable. But yah brotha, is competitive everywhere. My co worker he has a B.A and still did not pick up by SJPD. He has a very clean and stable background. Outside LEO employment, My wife cousin's husband is an engineer and he makes around 180k. But, he keep getting laid off. Thats the Bay Area for us. I guess we have people all over coming to compete for employment because everbody wants to live in the Bay.
      Last edited by m_sharif; 07-23-2017, 09:41 AM.

• GT00
      GT00 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not know or have never heard of any college graduates with only an undergraduate degree that is making 180k a year. Even programmers in the Bay Area are not even making close to that amount that you described. I graduated from a California State University (CSUEB 2015) with a B.S. in business administration and I have yet to have a job were I can make over 50k a year or find permanent and stable employment. I know people who had graduated and couldn't find jobs and than went back to graduate school in hopes of finding a job after they graduate with a masters. Those people who I described graduated with masters and are now in the same place as where they started, but only now they are more in debt. The Bay Area has a competetive job market and having a college or graduate degree doesn't mean you will have an easier time finding employment. I understand that you are coming from a place of good intentions, but please do not give people false information regarding potential earnings for those who with a univeristy degree because every person and family that are middle-class and below, especially in the Bay Area, are having a hard time finding stable employment and making ends meat. Before I graduated from college, I thought to myself that life would be easier and that I would be making all this money working at a well paying job and driving a nice car after I received my diploma. Guess what? It didn't happen and I learned the hard way that a degree isn't a golden ticket that guarantees you better living standards. That degree doesn't mean anything to no one and people have to settle for what they can get and that is why people have to work in jobs that have nothing to do with their degrees. I am not saying to not go to college, infact I think the more educated a person is, the more well-round they will become. Just understand that a college degree today does not equate to a higher standard of living.
      Last edited by GT00; 06-15-2017, 08:19 PM.

• Hey everyone i took my polygraph last week 6/15 and was wondering how long it takes to get results back? thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by aponce14 View Post
      Hey everyone i took my polygraph last week 6/15 and was wondering how long it takes to get results back? thanks
      After I took my polygraph, I didn't hear back from the BI unit until 3 months later, when I received a call to meet with my backgrounds investigaor. At the meeting, my background investigatior told me that I had passed my polygraph.

Comment

• Originally posted by GT00 View Post

After I took my polygraph, I didn't hear back from the BI unit until 3 months later, when I received a call to meet with my backgrounds investigaor.
        oh wow.... So I have taken it a poly graph for Santa Clara County before and passed, but this time i was super nervous i even choked up when asked my last name and the intentional lie. Whats your thoughts. Thanks for responding by the way. If all goes well should be starting the Jan 2018 academy

Comment

• still waiting on my OPD polygraph. should i be worried.

Comment

• No, sometimes they take a while
            Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

• I got an email saying that my list expired after doing the medical exam, and had submitted a new application after 2 years of wait for 180A. Hope, this time I get hired.

Comment

• Has anyone heard any news, or has been hired, for the late August academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by GT00 View Post
                  Has anyone heard any news, or has been hired, for the late August academy?
                  Hi there,

I had my oral board in March and my first backgrounds appointment in July, which followed with the polygraph in the same month. I just met my BI at my home a few days ago and he interviewed my neighbors.

Not sure what's next, but I know that I'm definitely not in line for the August academy as you mentioned. Would you happen to know when the next academy is?

Thanks,

Comment

• GT00
                    GT00 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I actually took my polygraph towards mid-February before my first meeting with my backgrounds investigator, which was in May. Officers from the backgrounds unit visited my house and interviewed my neighbors on 6/21/2017. I have not heard from anyone since the meeting with the backgrounds investigators. I have not been asked to do a psychological evaluation or medical either, so it seems that I am also not in line for the August academy. I am sorry, but I do not have any other information regarding the next academy.
                    Last edited by GT00; 08-16-2017, 01:03 AM.

• aponce14
                    aponce14 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I believe the next Academy should be January/Feb 2018

• Hey fellows, this is my second time doing OPD process. I done the whole process for the 176th acadmey, but unfortunately they only hire few applicants. I done my physical last saturday and congrats to who passed. Those who didn't pass the physical, don't give up and keep trying. There will be a workshop on October 08 for oral interview. It will be very helpful for first timers and others who already done Leo interviews. Also, I'm active volunteer in a homeless shelter and would like to know if anyone would like to volunteer with me in Oakland and get physically in shape. Let me know by sending me a message.

Comment

• Does anyone know when will be the background seminar for 180(A)?

Comment

• I am very anxious about this upcoming background investigation with OPD. Any tips? What should I be looking out for and what are automatic disqualifies?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stargazing642 View Post
                        I am very anxious about this upcoming background investigation with OPD. Any tips? What should I be looking out for and what are automatic disqualifies?
                        I done the whole process last year. Few guys like me had list expired. I’m back in the process as well. Well, the process can take little while. Backgrounds starts by submitting PHS, signing release forms, polygraph, and investigation process. After that, they have to give a conditional offer for medical and psychological exams. For the medical exam, get ready to do some cardio. Like any other agency, is competitive. You can do the whole process, but everything is for sure till the final offer. The final offer is given by those selected by a review board. The best way to get into law enforcement is to apply for more than one place and keep trying till you get it. Stay motivated !!

Comment

• How is everyone feeling about this upcoming academy in January?

Comment

• Has anyone receive the notification to be contacted by backgrounds for the seminar but haven’t heard yet? I got the e-mail 2 weeks but still waiting for the seminar.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6445 users online. 344 members and 6101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X