300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAX PD vs Career with OCSD

Well I'm on my way to choosing a future career for myself, and have my sights hopefully set for these two agencies. I've loved aviation as a kid, but found a liking more to be a cop as an explorer. Being around airplanes while being in law enforcement would be a best of both worlds for me. MY question is for cops who have gone to either agency where does your agency fall short? My goal in OCSD would be to get out of jails ASAP (I've heard 6+ years in jails are fairly normal) and eventually find my way into Airport Operations or a regular patrol function and towards the end of my career fly. I know both academies are drastically different in intensity but all meet POST standards. To the guys and gals who have worked for these agencies, which is a better option for future applicants?

Originally posted by rletac View Post
    Well I'm on my way to choosing a future career for myself, and have my sights hopefully set for these two agencies. I've loved aviation as a kid, but found a liking more to be a cop as an explorer. Being around airplanes while being in law enforcement would be a best of both worlds for me. MY question is for cops who have gone to either agency where does your agency fall short? My goal in OCSD would be to get out of jails ASAP (I've heard 6+ years in jails are fairly normal) and eventually find my way into Airport Operations or a regular patrol function and towards the end of my career fly. I know both academies are drastically different in intensity but all meet POST standards. To the guys and gals who have worked for these agencies, which is a better option for future applicants?

OCSD's jail time is currently hovering around 3.5-5 years. The guys going out in three years, have a degree or military experience (more points for promotion) and got hired after the hiring freeze of 2009-11. They have done a ton of hiring since then. Expect to do 5 years if you get picked up my them.

To work the airport you need to work patrol first (usually for 2 years minimum) and transfer to John Wayne Airport. It's considered a relaxed assignment compared to other spots. Guys rarely promote out of there. They'll stay there for many years, if not retire out of there. It's considered a chill spot because the airport is regional and for the most part, you don't have gangsters and POS hovering around the airport. It's mainly business travelers and some tourists. Basically normal people.

Getting assigned to air support is different. You do not have to be assigned to the airport to request a transfer to aor support. It's competitive and expect to have at least 10-15 years on the department before you're assigned to be a Tactical Flight Officer or Pilot. There are guys in the jails already preparing for that oppurtunity by getting their helicopter licenses now.

In terms of long term assignments, it's going to be hard to beat the Sheriff's Department. 13 cities, 3 harbors, John Wayne Airport, OCTA, Regional Academy, Jails, Courts...

If I were you, go to the first place that hires you. You obviously show interest in both departments. Go to the one that picks you first.
    Last edited by el_jefe; 02-01-2015, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by el_jefe View Post

To work the airport you need to work patrol first (usually for 2 years minimum) and transfer to John Wayne Airport. It's considered a relaxed assignment compared to other spots. Guys rarely promote out of there. They'll stay there for many years
      How does OCSD compare with other agencies for promotions? Many other normal city departments I've done ride alongs with always say if you stay within patrol your whole life (no SWAT, investigations, traffic, etc.) in city depts, you can guarantee you'll never be promoted.

Comment

You should worry about getting hired first. You still have FTO/probation.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by rletac View Post
          How does OCSD compare with other agencies for promotions? Many other normal city departments I've done ride alongs with always say if you stay within patrol your whole life (no SWAT, investigations, traffic, etc.) in city depts, you can guarantee you'll never be promoted.
          Big departments, like OCSD obviously promote a lot more people. On the other hand, it takes a lot longer time to get there. In some departments you can become an investigator or sgt. in five years. In OC that'll take you probably closer to 13-15+. 13/14 right now for sgt. at the earliest... Most don't promote ASAP for Sgt. Usually because by that time you're working your dream detail and don't want to leave it to promote.

Comment

Thanks for the insight jefe! And aspen I know nothing is guaranteed but I was just curious as to the better of the two.

Comment

Originally posted by el_jefe View Post
              OCSD's jail time is currently hovering around 3.5-5 years. The guys going out in three years, have a degree or military experience (more points for promotion) and got hired after the hiring freeze of 2009-11. They have done a ton of hiring since then. Expect to do 5 years if you get picked up my them.

To work the airport you need to work patrol first (usually for 2 years minimum) and transfer to John Wayne Airport. It's considered a relaxed assignment compared to other spots. Guys rarely promote out of there. They'll stay there for many years, if not retire out of there. It's considered a chill spot because the airport is regional and for the most part, you don't have gangsters and POS hovering around the airport. It's mainly business travelers and some tourists. Basically normal people.

Getting assigned to air support is different. You do not have to be assigned to the airport to request a transfer to aor support. It's competitive and expect to have at least 10-15 years on the department before you're assigned to be a Tactical Flight Officer or Pilot. There are guys in the jails already preparing for that oppurtunity by getting their helicopter licenses now.

In terms of long term assignments, it's going to be hard to beat the Sheriff's Department. 13 cities, 3 harbors, John Wayne Airport, OCTA, Regional Academy, Jails, Courts...

If I were you, go to the first place that hires you. You obviously show interest in both departments. Go to the one that picks you first.
              Great info. And to the OP, I'd go OCSD due to the vast number or assignments.

Oh, and SNA is not classified as a regional airport.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2644 users online. 137 members and 2507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X