Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD Academy Housing

Gents/Ladies,

I recently accepted a position with LAPD. I'm an out of stater and am trying to find places to live. Biggest problem is I have two dogs (golden retriever/german shepherd). Does anyone know of any realtors/apartments/anything that are decent sized dog friendly? Thanks!

Congrats on making it through the process and good luck at the academy. Don't forget, you will be traveling to two different locations for the academy, one near LAX and one in Granada Hills. They are about 18 miles from each other, straight up/down the 405 Freeway.

That being said, you might want to consider a location that is centrally located. Keep in mind that apartments are a bit expensive around here, depending on where you move to. Because of that and depending on how much you can afford, that might limit your choices, especially because of the dogs. I would think if you Google apartments in this area, you can find a lot of choices.

Hopefully there will be other folks on here who can be of help to you. Where are you coming in from?

Comment

realtor.com and craigslist are easily searchable and many of the listings show if you can or cannot have pets. You are likely limited to houses not apartments....as you should because it's not very responsible/kind to stick a large dog, let alone two, in an apartment.

Comment

I also have a German Sheperd and know how hard it is to get an apartment with one. This company, Equity Residential, allows GSD's at all of their apartments:
        http://www.equityapartments.com/cali...partments.aspx

G'luck with your search.

Comment

Thanks all! Been a crazy couple of days doing apt searches....dogs and LA apartments don't mix.

Actually looked into equity and found a good looking place with one of their properties. Plenty of dog friendly amenities and walking locations and they took the German. Thanks for the assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
            Keep in mind that apartments are a bit expensive around here, depending on where you move to. Because of that and depending on how much you can afford, that might limit your choices

This exactly why I couldn't go further in the process. They did mention the pay raise at the time of testing but the COL to salary ratio just seems a bit too much to tackle on moving cost.

Comment

Originally posted by ddoming7992 View Post
              This exactly why I couldn't go further in the process. They did mention the pay raise at the time of testing but the COL to salary ratio just seems a bit too much to tackle on moving cost.
              People do it all the time out here. Many of our folks are from out of town and move out here for a fresh start. I did it too, many years ago and from your "neck of the woods" in the northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Copper View Post
                People do it all the time out here. Many of our folks are from out of town and move out here for a fresh start. I did it too, many years ago and from your "neck of the woods" in the northeast.
                I'm sure that has diminished sharply for the fact they do not offer moving assistance and expedited process like back in the day. I flew out for ONE NIGHT to take the test and that ran me 700$....and I would have to fly back at least 7 more times. And I'm in the NYC area where it's actually a bit cheaper than out there, according to research on houses and apartments in the LA area.

Comment

We only offered the moving assistance thing for a couple of years. The vast majority of us who have come out here to LA from other parts of the country did not have that perk.

We do have the expedited testing process so if you haven't already done so, you should look into it.. as long as you qualify for it. I know someone from New York who is going through our process now and he told me our process is still much faster than it is for NYPD.

We still have many people from all around the country who come out here for the job. At the division I work, we currently have probationers from Massachusetts, Texas, Florida, Indiana, and Michigan... and that's just my area.

You're right, it is expensive out here but not unlike many other major metropolitan areas around the country, including New York City. Unless you bring a lot of money with you, you're probably not gonna be buying your own big house the first few years on the job. You're probably gonna be like many of us, living in an apartment somewhere. But that's like many jobs around the country, they don't all pay six figures right out of the gate.

If you want the job bad enough (and can afford it), you'll do it like the rest of us did. If not, we wish you luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Hi I was wondering since there are two training facility's one near LAX and the other at Grenada Hill, I'm assuming living anywhere near the 405 highway between these two facility's would be best?

Comment

The 405 is a glorified parking lot...and living close to it would generally put you in a slightly less than desirable neighborhood. If you travel anywhere during commute hours (which you will) plan on minimum 1 hour between the two academies. I remember sitting on the N/B 405 for over 2 hours several times after finishing at ARTC..... Avoid Inglewood, Panorama City, most of Van Nuys and North Hills....the last two have decent pockets but as a whole the metro LA area is a crappy place...there are exceptions of course but you will quickly learn most officers don't live in the city....
                      "For he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer." Romans 13:4

Comment

When does the academy begin?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6141 users online. 370 members and 5771 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X