300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laws concerning spring assisted knives

Hello, i wanted to ask a few questions concerning spring assisted knives in CA, I was doing some research concerning Switch blades and spring assisted knives I know its 100% illegal to have a switch blade in Ca in less the blade length is less than 2”. Now spring assisted knives are legal but it is there a kind of limit to them, such as they have to be a certain length or they can’t be concealed like a EDC (everyday Carry).

-can a Gerber mini covert spring assisted be ok as a EDC knife or will an officer give me a fine or give me jail time even if it’s a spring assisted knife?GB01967a.jpg

-does a tanto blade vs a regular blade make a knife illegal or more dangerous?

-Are Spring assisted tactical knives legal and to what extent?

Officers don't give fines. We arrest. The court gives fines.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Does the blade go completely into the open and locked position with the push of a button with no input from the user? if not, it's not a switchblade knife. From what I understand, assisted opening knives are perfectly legal as the blade requires:

1. The push of a button to be released from the handle

2. A flick of the wrist from the user to go completely into the locked position.

Tanto vs. regular blade does not matter. Blades can be concealed as long as they are not fixed or folding knives in the open position. Concealed, fixed blades or folding blades locked in the open position that are concealed is considered a "dirk" or "dagger", a wobbler in CA (can be felony or misd., usually misd.)

You should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCallMeDep View Post
        Does the blade go completely into the open and locked position with the push of a button with no input from the user? if not, it's not a switchblade knife. From what I understand, assisted opening knives are perfectly legal as the blade requires:

1. The push of a button to be released from the handle

2. A flick of the wrist from the user to go completely into the locked position.
        I am not from California and am only loosely familiar with CA knife laws, but one thing that differentiates assisted-opening knives from automatic switchblades is that assisted opening knives require the user to exert pressure on the blade, either from a 'flipper' ground into the knife blade shape, or pressure on the thumbstud or other single-hand opening device. Assisted opening knives are biased toward the closed position by a detent. Manual pressure on the blade overcomes the detent resistance and the spring 'assists' the user to manually open the blade. But the motion necessary to open an assisted-opening knife is identical to that required to open any other folding knife.

With a switchblade, the knife is biased toward the open position, and pushing a button on the handle (separate from the blade) releases the compressed spring that takes the knife from the fully closed to the fully open position.

Essentially, if it doesn't have a button or (in some uncommon models) a sliding scale, it's not a switchblade.

With a switchblade, pressure is exerted on a button (separate from the blade) that
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

So what are the chances that you get pulled over for example in a dui check point and an officer finds this knife on you, that you will go to jail, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, is it a felony to be caught with a knife in your pocket like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Kairos View Post
            So what are the chances that you get pulled over for example in a dui check point and an officer finds this knife on you, that you will go to jail, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, is it a felony to be caught with a knife in your pocket like this?

Why would you be searched at a DUI checkpoint unless you were driving while intoxicated?
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Just a thought in general, I use dui check points because they happen alot in my area, the question is really in any situation, I know that not every police officer knows the laws from every detail. An officer who has not been on the job for a very long time can make a mistake in confusing a spring assisted knife with a switch blade especially if looks like a switch blade but does not operate like one. (meaning the blade comes out with a push of a button) verses pushing the thumb stud and blade comes out with the help of a spring.

Comment

No. No we don't make mistakes.
                You do.
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I've only been on the job for a year and a half and I've arrested probably five people for possessing switchblades. It's not a major crime, but it is a way to put ****bags in jail.

Dirks or daggers are common too. Crankers like to hide big knives.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3742 users online. 202 members and 3540 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X