300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Golden West College (GWC) PT specifics

It would be extremely appreciated if someone who has actually been through GWC academy recently (last few years) could describe their PT.

Days per week?
    Hours per day?
    Exercises? (sets/reps/rest between sets)
    Runs? (distance/pace)

Is there a "fast" and a "slow" group for runners? What do you do if you just can't do those last few reps in the 10th set of a certain exercise? Etc.

I have heard such wildly varying descriptions, it would be really helpful to have a benchmark to make sure I am well above ready for the academy.

Thank you in advance!

There will be set days and times for pt but there will also be random pt. No fast or slow group when it comes to running, but if you know you are a slow runner do not get in the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodpoint View Post
      It would be extremely appreciated if someone who has actually been through GWC academy recently (last few years) could describe their PT.

Days per week?
      Hours per day?
      Runs? (distance/pace)

Is there a "fast" and a "slow" group for runners? What do you do if you just can't do those last few reps in the 10th set of a certain exercise? Etc.

I have heard such wildly varying descriptions, it would be really helpful to have a benchmark to make sure I am well above ready for the academy.

Thank you in advance!

Are you worried about your fitness level?

Comment

Originally posted by gregorydg View Post
        Are you worried about your fitness level?
        Not in the traditional sense. I am athletic so I am sure I will be fine. I just like to be over-prepared in all things.

I've heard things as varied as 3miles at a 7min pace versus 2 miles at a 9:30 pace is average for GWC. Not sure which to believe but a 21min 3 miles is borderline tough for me so I want to know where to spend my time training. Same thing for pushups... I've heard I need 25-200... pretty big spread so specifics would be useful.

Thanks for the responses!

Comment

Not in the traditional sense. I am athletic so I am sure I will be fine. I just like to be over-prepared in all things.

I've heard things as varied as 3miles at a 7min pace versus 2 miles at a 9:30 pace is average for GWC. Not sure which to believe but a 21min 3 miles is borderline tough for me so I want to know where to spend my time training. Same thing for pushups... I've heard I need 25-200... pretty big spread so specifics would be useful.

Thanks for the responses!
          Just train for 200 push ups and a 21 min 3 mile and you'll be golden.

Comment

PT is 3 days a week but if you think you won't be doing some form of PT every single day, you are mistaken. Your PT LD will be the first one you will be doing during Week 1.
            PT is held at the end of the day and you and your class need to perform to the staff's standards to be dismissed on time. (It won't) You will PT for 1 -2 hours each PT session.
            The GW PT staff does all the basics, Push ups, sit ups, squats, pull ups, leg lifts. With a minimum rep of 10.

Runs are about 3 miles average at an 8 minute pace but the staff will incorporate upper body workouts during your run. As for the "slow" and "fast" runners group... NO SUCH THING! This academy is all about UNIFORMITY. If you can't keep up, you get to run in front of the class. You will run while a cadence is being chanted. (Make sure YOU have an appropriate cadence when you become Class Sergeant)

BEFORE you enter this academy memorize all Orange County radio codes, Code of ethics, station #'s, your staff's info (name first and last and spelling of each, rank, agency, years at agency, assignment(s), phonetics, and speeches for all equipment.

Also if you are questioning your physical ability now, you may not be ready quite yet for this academy (That's ok, you still have time to prepare). Run 5 days a week and lift 3 days a week. Be prepared to be extremely sleep deprived! You will only get 10 hours of sleep total for the first week of the academy. Prepare yourself to be awake at 0300 or earlier every morning and awake every night till 0100.

Don't let this scare you, it will become a way of life and you will get used to it.

Days per week?
            Hours per day?
            Runs? (distance/pace)

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Thank you Starcop, that is a very useful reply!

Comment

I do not know specifics for golden west pt but I do know that they base their academy standards off of OCSA. I graduated OCSA just a few months ago and I can tell you this, not being physically prepared is the easiest way to stand out in a negative light. Expect to do 300+ push-ups situps squat thrusts mountian climbers every day for the first 10 weeks or so. We never ran more than 3 miles in a day, but that doesn't include the 1/4 sprints that we had to do during PT.

Like others have said, expect to to get 3 hours or less of sleep for the first 6 weeks or so. Stock up on pedialyte and bcaa supliments now... And aspirin.

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the response brother. That sort of information is very helpful and appreciated.

Comment

Days per week? 2-4, depending on where you are in the academy for scheduled PT. The first couple of weeks and whenever the class is deemed to be complacent, you'll be doing PT during inspections and breaks. When things slow down, you'll be only doing 1 set of an exercise during breaks, such as pushups, pullups, dips, or air squats
                    Hours per day? About 1 for scheduled PT
                    Exercises? (sets/reps/rest between sets) During breaks, it's usually only one set. If it's for punishment, then very little if any
                    Runs? (distance/pace) Not very far. Our longest run was probably a total of 2 miles or so at a slow pace. The pace is set by the front runners, so put your bad runners up there.

No, if you're running as a class, it's all one group. As mentioned, put the slow people up front. If you fail during something, if it's during scheduled PT, the instructors are cool. They'll probably encourage you if they see you're giving it all you've got. If you are failing during punishment from the RTO's, you'll probably be yelled at, but you're not going to be doing 10 sets of something

Just continue to improve on where you're at now. I'm sure you'll be fine. It can be challenging at times, but it eases up, unless you get complacent and need a reminder. Avoid going to the blade.

From my memory, Black Monday will be tons of pushups, being in the front leaning rest while getting yelled at, air squats, and pullups. At the end of the day, you'll get taken to Magic Mountain, which is the amphitheater in the college. We use it to do indian runs, incline pushups, and dips. From there, you'll be introduced to the volleyball courts for sand sprints and bear crawls. It's a tough day and you'll be worn out, but if you prepare, you'll be more than fine

Thank you in advance!
                    My experiences are in bold. PM me for any specific questions; I'd be happy to answer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5870 users online. 345 members and 5525 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X