Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rio hondo Police Acdemy Self-Sponsor - Worth it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio hondo Police Acdemy Self-Sponsor - Worth it?

What are the pros and cons to self-sponsor?
    Is it a good alternative to waiting around until a department calls you to test?
    Which agencies use Rio Hondo?
    Are those agencies actually hiring right now?
    How guaranteed is it to actually get hired before or after graduating?
    Let say I don't get hired, can I apply anywhere with the POST certificate, even out of state if need be?
    Will it give me an edge over other applicants?

Thank you.

Self sponsoring is a risk. I was seriously thinking about it a couple of years ago, but someone made a good point, why spend money to attend an academy when you can get paid to go to the academy? You won't get much of an edge in the competition and there's definitely no guarantee of getting hired. If your background is pretty bad, don't bother with self sponsoring. I'm glad I didn't self sponsor because I just finished the process with an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by SyntaxError View Post
      Self sponsoring is a risk. I was seriously thinking about it a couple of years ago, but someone made a good point, why spend money to attend an academy when you can get paid to go to the academy? You won't get much of an edge in the competition and there's definitely no guarantee of getting hired. If your background is pretty bad, don't bother with self sponsoring. I'm glad I didn't self sponsor because I just finished the process with an agency.
      We've discussed this a lot. There's never a guarantee. It's all about you and your background, but I don't think it's as simple as saying "Why spend the money, when you can get paid?" There are many departments the expect you to put yourself through an academy. You need to do some research on where you want to work and how far your willing to go to get picked up. Self sponsoring yourself through will open up many more departments for you. It definetley worked for me.
      Last edited by gregorydg; 12-14-2014, 10:13 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

RHPA doesn't have the best reputation these days.
        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
          RHPA doesn't have the best reputation these days.
          Why not?
          What about Golden West?

Comment

I did the self sponsor. I went to extended version. It was 12 months. Was it worth it? Sure. i got hired. I know some people who did not get hired or could not get hired. I tried getting hired with different departments, but at the end I decided to put myself through as a last resort. I figured if I could get pass the academy or get hired it was not meant to be. I got through the academy and got hired. I would see if you could get hired and as a last resort, put yourself through. It is nice getting paid to go to school, if you can.
            "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

Your background is more a factor into whether or not you get hired than self-sponsoring is. Many people can self sponsor, but not all can pass the rigorous testing that is still required to get hired.
              You can be a great candidate but fail a poly or psych interview or other steps along the way and have to start all over.

Most out of state agencies would make you go through their state sponsored or state approved academies if hired because you would be hired as an entry-level candidate. Some states may accept it, however you will be competing with in-state candidates and others who are more qualified such as current LEO's, MP's etc.

I would recommend trying to get hired with SDPD or another department that is hiring like crazy. If you can't get on with a department that is in desperate need of people, chances are you won't be hired regardless of whether or not you are already POST certified.

Comment

Originally posted by xColdZerox View Post
                Why not?
                What about Golden West?
                I went to Golden West which I believe is an underrated academy. It is a very good academy where you will be pushed and expected to step up.

Comment

Self sponsoring is a gable, but if you know that you have a clean background then what it will do is open more doors for you. The reason I state that is because, there are a lot of departments, mine being one, that won't even take your application if you haven't got a POST Basic Academy Certificate.

Every department will take applications from an academy graduate typically, but not all will take apps from a recruit. It is a business decision on the departments part because it is a gamble for the department as well. If a department hires a recruit then they have to pay for your training (roughly $5,000.00) and pay for your wages and benefits while your in the academy for 6 months (roughly $25,000.00). Basically a recruit costs about $30,000.00 to get him/her to the FTO point, not counting the costs to get you through the hiring process. There is no guarantee that the recruit will make it through the academy (i.e. injuries, LD failures, and physical fitness failures). If the recruit passes the academy then the department has to worry about whether or not the recruit will make it through FTO. This is all comes down to dollars and cents.

But if you have already passed an academy you have saved the department $30,000.00 if hired. If you fail the FTO process no real loss for the department for the most part on a financial stand point. Typically though, the bigger departments have a larger budget and are willing to take the gamble, smaller departments aren't really willing.

I self sponsored after getting out of the military and got hired the day that I graduated. Usually too, departments that like to hire academy graduates will recruit self sponsored cadets from the academies, which is nice.

Basically, if you have a clean background and you can afford to put yourself through the academy the odds of you getting hired is better. It will open more doors by allowing more departments for you to choose from.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SOCAleo View Post
                    Self sponsoring is a gable, but if you know that you have a clean background then what it will do is open more doors for you. The reason I state that is because, there are a lot of departments, mine being one, that won't even take your application if you haven't got a POST Basic Academy Certificate.

Every department will take applications from an academy graduate typically, but not all will take apps from a recruit. It is a business decision on the departments part because it is a gamble for the department as well. If a department hires a recruit then they have to pay for your training (roughly $5,000.00) and pay for your wages and benefits while your in the academy for 6 months (roughly $25,000.00). Basically a recruit costs about $30,000.00 to get him/her to the FTO point, not counting the costs to get you through the hiring process. There is no guarantee that the recruit will make it through the academy (i.e. injuries, LD failures, and physical fitness failures). If the recruit passes the academy then the department has to worry about whether or not the recruit will make it through FTO. This is all comes down to dollars and cents.

But if you have already passed an academy you have saved the department $30,000.00 if hired. If you fail the FTO process no real loss for the department for the most part on a financial stand point. Typically though, the bigger departments have a larger budget and are willing to take the gamble, smaller departments aren't really willing.

I self sponsored after getting out of the military and got hired the day that I graduated. Usually too, departments that like to hire academy graduates will recruit self sponsored cadets from the academies, which is nice.

Basically, if you have a clean background and you can afford to put yourself through the academy the odds of you getting hired is better. It will open more doors by allowing more departments for you to choose from.

Good luck.

I agree with this post as well. Also remember if you go through an academy like Golden West and qualify for financial aid you can use it for the academy. It is considered college coursework and if you were in the military you can use your education benefits towards the academy as well.

Comment

Originally posted by xColdZerox View Post
                      Why not?
                      What about Golden West?
                      http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct...ademy-20101016

Never heard anything bad about GW. Don't personally know anyone who went there

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeful130 View Post
                        I went to Golden West which I believe is an underrated academy. It is a very good academy where you will be pushed and expected to step up.
                        I went to Golden West College when I applied to Tusten P.D. Tusten was holding there test there. I was impressed with the cadets. It made my academy look Micky Mouse they was they looked and acted. I have not heard anything bad about Golden West.
                        Last edited by Mrsaints75; 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM.
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

P.C. 832

Glock and AR-15 Armor

Comment

I self-sponsored myself a few months ago. I got picked up half way through the academy. I'm located in SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrsaints75 View Post
                            I went to Golden West College when I applied to Tusten P.D. Tusten was holding there test there. I was impressed with the cadets. It made my academy look Micky Mouse they was they looked and acted. I have not heard anything bad about Golden West.
                            I'm guessing you had issues with the written test.

Comment

Tusten??? Really???
                              sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
                              -George Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4924 users online. 273 members and 4651 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X