Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any departments actually hire out-of-state laterals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any departments actually hire out-of-state laterals?

Hi there,

I'm currently looking at trying to lateral to a California PD(Mostly the bay area). I am currently a sworn police officer in a major city in North Carolina. After looking at police websites, I notice that pretty much every department I have looked at requires you to already be a California Officer to lateral. Does anyone know of any departments that will accept out-of-state laterals? I'm looking at mid to larger size departments.

Thanks!

You must qualify under CA POST. you won't be able to just lateral. You need to attend at least a bridge course , three weeks, or the basic academy.

Go to the POST website and it will explain.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yeah I saw that, that's not a big deal. It's just when they ask for the experience to be from a California dept.

Comment

We don't get a lot out of staters. I don't how you wouldn't be a lateral. What Departments are you interested in? Contact them directly and talk to them about it.
        semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          You must qualify under CA POST. you won't be able to just lateral. You need to attend at least a bridge course , three weeks, or the basic academy.

Go to the POST website and it will explain.
          This.

You need a POST Basic Course Waiver. Some agencies will take them, some wont. You can take the BCW whenever, but it's up to the individual agency whether or not they'll accept it.
          Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
          Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Yes, depts do take out of state laterals. You just need to contact them and ask.

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick and helpful responses. Some departments I was looking at was Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, SFPD, Palo Alto, and San Mateo. Please let me know if their are any other departments you would recommend.

Comment

Santa Clara PD starts at over 100K and they take laterals, all of the UC police take the waiver as well as do all of the State Investigators. The wavier is very easy, I got a 95% on the test without much difficulty last year, very low stress. The hiring process in CA takes longer than you may expect, 6 months to a year, the BI seems to take about 3 months from what I've seen. Nothing is supper difficult, one thing different is that CA pt test use a 500 yard dash in 1:49, if you are not used to it you should start doing sprints to prepare for it.
                Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5504 users online. 307 members and 5197 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X