300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Question

I'm currently employed as a LEO in GA by a large police department. I have about eight years of experience working Uniform/SRO/Detective. I have a good work history and nothing in my background that would raise any red flags. I also hold a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and computer science. I also speak three languages and currently working on my Spanish. I'm thinking about moving to the LA/Orange County area of Cali. My question is how hard would it be for me to get a job there? Has anyone on here gone through similar experience? Which departments should I look at applying for. I really don't have anyone out there that can help. Any tips advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
    "Ernest Hemingway once wrote "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" I agree with the second part" - Lt. Somerset

You need to research the areas as there are many agencies of various sizes. What size/type of agency do you want to work for?
    Check with POST to see if your certificate is good here. (You may need to attend a full academy again and not all agencies will sponsor you.)

Good luck!

Comment

Many agencies in the area, Los Angeles County Sheriff, Orange County, San Bernardino, Riverside and probably 100 or so municipal and other agencies. Most are currently hiring, are you looking for anything specific or are you wide open to change?
      Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
        Many agencies in the area, Los Angeles County Sheriff, Orange County, San Bernardino, Riverside and probably 100 or so municipal and other agencies. Most are currently hiring, are you looking for anything specific or are you wide open to change?
        Wide open to change if I do move. Thanks for the reply!!
        "Ernest Hemingway once wrote "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" I agree with the second part" - Lt. Somerset

Comment

OC Sheriff opens up for testing every couple of months. Remember if you apply with a Sheriff's Department out here that you'll be working in the jails for several years before hitting the streets again.

Comment

That's not entirely true. San Deigo County SO Deputies do not work the jails. Nearly every other SO in California has a custody requirement, and some are strictly custody.

Deputy Sheriff [830.1(a)] is the golden standard. This position has full authority on and off duty. This is the same authority for city police officers and County District Attorney Investigators.

Almost half of the 58 counties in CA utilize the 830.1(c) Correctional Deputy Sheriff. These are strictly custody positions with NO authority off duty and NO authority outside of a custody situation (jails. Hospital runs and transportation are a legal grey area).

Good luck and go Tan and Green! Best jobs in the State!
            semper destravit

Comment

Riverside County I believe is split between custody and patrol as two separate positions. Also check post.ca.gov to see about the POST rules for out of state credit transfer, then see what agencies you're interested in accept POST waivers.
              Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                Riverside County I believe is split between custody and patrol as two separate positions. Also check post.ca.gov to see about the POST rules for out of state credit transfer, then see what agencies you're interested in accept POST waivers.
                I looked at the POST waiver for CA. I should be able to get it since I have hours upon hours of training. I would prefer not working in the jail but I also wouldn't mind doing what is needed to get my foot in the door. One department I'm looking at is Huntington beach PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Cell View Post
                  I looked at the POST waiver for CA. I should be able to get it since I have hours upon hours of training. I would prefer not working in the jail but I also wouldn't mind doing what is needed to get my foot in the door. One department I'm looking at is Huntington beach PD.
                  My thoughts:

-Everyone has tons of hours. You are gonna need about 1000 hours of academy to start.
                  -Native Californian's don't say Cali. Ever.
                  -HBPD is one of the hardest PD's to get hired at. Easier to start somewhere else and try to lateral.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                    My thoughts:

-Everyone has tons of hours. You are gonna need about 1000 hours of academy to start.
                    -Native Californian's don't say Cali. Ever.
                    -HBPD is one of the hardest PD's to get hired at. Easier to start somewhere else and try to lateral.
                    I have about 1,600 hrs of POST training now. I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to skip steps. If I have to go through another academy fine. I'm still young and in good shape. I should be able to take a few months of screaming and torture.

Comment

It isn't the hours of training, it is whether what you are trained in meets California standards. We don't accept certificates from all states. If we do, you will still need to get a waiver or attend a 3 week requal class.

Comment

the bigger question is why are you moving to CA in the first place?? If you don't want to start in the jails obvious places would be PD's or State level jobs which will be mainly investigative jobs. As far as Sheriff Department's most of SoCal start in jails NorCal and CentCal are hit or miss. For the most part they are split positions. Good luck to ya
                        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                          the bigger question is why are you moving to CA in the first place?? If you don't want to start in the jails obvious places would be PD's or State level jobs which will be mainly investigative jobs. As far as Sheriff Department's most of SoCal start in jails NorCal and CentCal are hit or miss. For the most part they are split positions. Good luck to ya
                          Significant other is originally from CA. She wants to go back to school there and be closer to her family. Like I said just thinking about it for now nothing set in stone.

Comment

Fresno County Sheriff hires laterals if you qualify, and there is no jail time. CO's only in the jail. You may do a little court time but as a lateral, not much if any.

Comment

Santa Cruz SO hasn't had deputies in the jails for decades. Some hiring, but very high cost of living in an extreme left-wing culture.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3413 users online. 171 members and 3242 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X