300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Department of Insurance Fraud Investigator

Does anyone have up to date info on the CDI Fraud Detective positions? I've seen a few posts with information from several years ago but nothing recent. Do we have anyone here that works for them, or knows info? Specifically: shifts, daily duties, perks, etc? Also, the starting salary range, does everyone start at the bottom, or do experienced peace officers start somewhere in that range? Thanks...

Originally posted by Westcoast99 View Post
    Does anyone have up to date info on the CDI Fraud Detective positions? I've seen a few posts with information from several years ago but nothing recent. Do we have anyone here that works for them, or knows info? Specifically: shifts, daily duties, perks, etc? Also, the starting salary range, does everyone start at the bottom, or do experienced peace officers start somewhere in that range? Thanks...
    Take this with a grain of salt as I didn't come on board with them, but I did come to another 830.3 state investigative agency and they didn't make me start from the bottom as I had several years of sworn LE experience.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Their pay is low for the wealthier areas of California, but on par with other State Agencies. Fraud Investiagtors are 830.3. That's important. They are specialized investigators. I would imagine there is flexibility if you have experience, but that begs the question- why would you go there if you have experience (especially 830.1a or 830.2 experience)?

I have met some, they seemed competent and very knowledgeable about their area of expertise.

Their schedule is a flex 8-5 M-F. Basically you work normal office hours with the occasional night/weekend/holiday/stakeout/protect the Commissioner trip added to it. It is an Investigative Agency. They don't answer 911 calls and they are not 24-hour.
        semper destravit

Comment

I have interacted with their investigators over the years since my department had several insurance fraud investigators. By and large, the individual investigators are very competent in their area. While 15 or so years ago, most of them came from line policing with city PD's / county sheriffs, not so much these days. Many have not worked the streets now, and arrest and search warrant entrys can be somewhat of an issue at times. Like so many state agencies who employ peace officers but themselves are not a traditional police agency, the investigators are not a priority. The managers frequently do not have law enforcement backgrounds, and political influence is pervasive. Some examples are limitations on being armed while in the field, armed off duty, no emergency equipment in their vehicles, no radios, on sight violations of other crime enforcement is not encouraged, etc. If you want to do police work, these type of agencies are not for you. Sorry if I offended anyone, this is just my opinion based on decades of experience observing and interacting with these agencies.
          Last edited by LawyerCop; 11-04-2014, 06:48 PM.
          T.K.
          http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

- CDI Detectives are required to be armed while on duty.
            - Carrying off duty is not required but left to the individual investigator. If you want you can, if don't want to you don't have to.
            - Detectives are issued take home unmarked code-3 equipped vehicles. Each vehicle is equipped with a CHP radio and each detective is issued a CHP call sign. Detectives are also issued hand-held radios which are also programmed with CHP frequencies.
            - On view arrests are not discouraged.
            - While not a traditional police agency the work CDI does is comparable and sometimes even more complex than investigations being conducted by DA Investigators, FBI and other Federal agencies and detectives working fraud in a traditional police department.

On another note, CDI has benefits that make it a very attractive job, especially for those with families:
            - Take home vehicles.
            - M-F schedules (with 4/10's and 9/8/80 alternate work schedules available)
            - ALL holiday's off.
            - Freedom to work anywhere outside your office (laptop, wifi hotspot, remote access)
            - Freedom to take time off whenever you need to as long as you have time on the books and it does not conflict with a scheduled enforcement action.
            Last edited by MrVega$; 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM.
            Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

MrVega$ why is CDI not 830.2 or even 830.1? Your boss is elected and you guys/gals are relegated to the unknown sections of the Penal Code 830.3(i)... It just doesn't make sense.
              semper destravit

Comment

Mrvegas is pretty much spot on. I have worked for CDI for many years and find it to be an enjoyable job depending on what cases you work. It is good to see on these posts positive encounters with our agency.

Comment

There's a couple of posts above which make reference to not being 830.1 or 830.2. What penal code section you have authority under really doesn't affect you and focusing on that is a poor reason to not look at a job.

If you get down into the nuances of the code not being 830.1/.2 really doesn't affect you. It protects the people from having agencies try and go beyond their scope. We give DMV, CDI, and a slew of other state agencies the ability to have cops for specific purposes. The code allows those guys to be sworn peace officers but requires a primary focus. I think this is a good idea to keep bureaucrats on track with what their mission is. I don't see leaving a .1/.2 gig for a .3 or other position as a step down. It all depends what you are looking for in job satisfaction and duties.
                  If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

I know several detectives with CDI. Shifts are 5/8/40, 9/8/80, 4/10/40...no nights, weekends or holidays. Typically they investigative all variety of insurance fraud (home/auto/life/medical) committed by either the provider and/or general public. Perks of the job...take home vehicle, decent safety equipment, good training, flexibility to work out in the field and/or telecommute as opposed to being locked down in the office. Salary range is $3,902.00-$6,318.00 and yes the starting salary range is negotiable depending on your personal experience. CDI is actively recruiting as they lost several of their detectives from various offices statewide to Cal DOJ's recent hiring.

Comment

Can anyone pm me that has info on this position? Im thinking of lateraling from another state agency and have a few questions about pay, retirement etc.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MrVega$ View Post
                        -

- Freedom to take time off whenever you need to as long as you have time on the books and it does not conflict with a scheduled enforcement action.
                        So like every other job at every other agency?

Comment

Pay range is the same as any of the other state investigator spots ($3,902.00-$6,508.00) excluding DOJ & CDCR and same with retirement if your a current state investigator you should be able to keep your 3% @ 50. I believe CDI offers $200.00 for recruitment & retention pay and select locations like Orange County and parts of Northern Cali among several others receive $200.00 geographic pay. Any other questions please let me know. I don't work for CDI, but know several of the detectives over there, so if I don't know the answer to your question I'm sure I can find out for you.

Comment

CA_State_Investigator can you turn on PMs please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5531 users online. 319 members and 5212 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X