300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop 47 "Safer Streets"

I posted this into a re-alignment thread a while ago. Since we are getting close to election, I'd like bring up conversation regarding Prop 47. Looks like the liberal "LA Times" support his bill also and it's gaining traction.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/endor...007-story.html

Apparently if criminals won't stop committing felonies, we just define them as misdemeanors and poof, we have fewer incarcerations and lower crime rates. This is touted as the "Safer Streets Act." I don't know how legislators come up with these names when we all know it's the complete opposite. I guess if we reclassify crimes lower stats, then it appears the streets are getting safer????... on paper? As street cops we all know this is going to do is encourage, if not embolden criminals to continue what they do, especially if there are no consequences. Shoot they already don't do any time on violent felonies as it is. We are already circling the drain. If this passes, we will be down the tubes.

http://ballotpedia.org/California_Pr...tiative_(2014)

So then Rape will be reduced to Unlawful Entry???...

This is one of the STUPIDEST things to come out of a STUPID legislature...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I don't mind the drug possession stuff becoming straight misdemeanors, but all the other changes concern me greatly.

Comment

This thing makes AB109 look like nothing.

The Alliance for a Safer California has a section on its "No on Prop 47" website labeled "Facts" wherein it gives a list of the organization's arguments for opposition to Proposition 47. The following is an excerpt from the list:

Prop 47 will release dangerous Three Strikes inmates. Prop 47 goes far beyond petty crimes. It rewrites our laws to make it easier for violent Three Strikes felons to gain early release...

Prop 47 will make it impossible to stop many criminals from buying or possessing guns. Under current law, convicted felons can't possess handguns in California. By changing street crimes like purse-snatching and many burglaries into misdemeanors, Prop 47 makes it impossible to stop criminals convicted of these and other offenses from having guns.

Prop 47 is completely unnecessary. Prop 47's backers say their goal is to keep low-level offenders out of prison. What they don't say is that California law already requires this...

Prop 47 rewrites our laws to benefit criminals. Prop 47 is a lengthy piece of legislation with many hidden provisions. Some of the not-so-obvious things Prop 47 will do are:

Change crimes like purse and phone snatching -- where thieves grab expensive property right off your body -- into petty theft, the same as stealing a candy bar.

Make possession of "date rape" drugs a misdemeanor.

Prevent many commercial burglars from being charged with a felony as long as they strike during work hours -- when it's most dangerous for employees.

Make stealing a handgun -- which is often done to commit violent crimes -- a misdemeanor in almost all cases.

Reduce sentences for muggers, burglars, cocaine and heroin dealers, and other dangerous criminals who pled guilty to lesser offenses like grand theft or possession.

Make receiving property obtained through extortion a misdemeanor (up to $950).

Make stealing horses and other animals a misdemeanor in many cases.

Prop 47 will hurt consumers. Professional retail thieves, commercial burglars, and identity thieves cost California consumers and businesses millions of dollars every year. Prop 47 slashes penalties for these crimes.

Law enforcement leaders and crime victim advocates overwhelmingly oppose Prop 47. Prop 47 is opposed by every major law enforcement and victim advocate organization in California, including the California District Attorneys Association, California Coalition Against Sexual Assault, California Police Chiefs Association, California State Sheriffs Association, and Crime Victims United. [6]

Comment

Crap like this makes me really glad that in just over two years, I am out of this state. Even if 47 fails, the fact that something this bizarre even got enough signatures to go this far shows that the ***holes are winning. California is a lost cause.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I love how this rag touts the overcrowded prisons as "unconsitutional" but they have no problem making new laws that further restrict law abiding folks from owning guns based on how they look.

@SHU - I try t osteer clear of politics, but the source you're citing really loses credibilty when they post something like this:

Originally posted by SHU View Post
            Prop 47 will make it impossible to stop many criminals from buying or possessing guns. Under current law, convicted felons can't possess handguns in California. By changing street crimes like purse-snatching and many burglaries into misdemeanors, Prop 47 makes it impossible to stop criminals convicted of these and other offenses from having guns.
            For a couple of reasons. The first being that there is a whole laundry list of misdemeanor crimes that make someone a "prohibited person" who can't legally buy a gun. The second being that criminals do not follow the law (IE go to a gun store) to buy their guns.

Comment

Misdemeanor property crimes do not cause a prohibition.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

But if there are no "overcrowded prisons" won't that negatively effect the most powerful lobby in CA, the Corrections Guard Union?
                "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  So then Rape will be reduced to Unlawful Entry???...

This is one of the STUPIDEST things to come out of a STUPID legislature...
                  Like there is a smart legislature?
                  Retired

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                    I love how this rag touts the overcrowded prisons as "unconsitutional" but they have no problem making new laws that further restrict law abiding folks from owning guns based on how they look.

@SHU - I try t osteer clear of politics, but the source you're citing really loses credibilty when they post something like this:

For a couple of reasons. The first being that there is a whole laundry list of misdemeanor crimes that make someone a "prohibited person" who can't legally buy a gun. The second being that criminals do not follow the law (IE go to a gun store) to buy their guns.
                    The ACLU is backing Prop 47. That is all anybody needs to know about it to vote against it.

Comment

Politicians are stupid, not dumb.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
                        I don't mind the drug possession stuff becoming straight misdemeanors, but all the other changes concern me greatly.
                        Who do you think is burging houses and vehicles? It's your rock head or tweaker. And reality is, narco has always and will be source of income for gangsters. And you are okay with it being a misd.???

Comment

Originally posted by SJay.SD View Post
                          Who do you think is burging houses and vehicles? It's your rock head or tweaker. And reality is, narco has always and will be source of income for gangsters. And you are okay with it being a misd.???
                          I stand by my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
                            I stand by my original post.
                            I respect that if that's what you believe. Nevertheless, this bill is not to keep citizens safer. It is to shift the costs of criminals from the state to citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by SJay.SD View Post
                              I respect that if that's what you believe. Nevertheless, this bill is not to keep citizens safer. It is to shift the costs of criminals from the state to citizens.
                              I agree wholeheartedly.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2915 users online. 143 members and 2772 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X