Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDCR Questions

Hello,

recently applied for CDCR and am expecting to test in 2 months. If anybody knows, can anybody fill me in on the Office of Correctional Safety. I'd like to know the specifics of promoting to that and specifically the fugitive unit. Also, would CDCR be a good started in LE for Us Marshals in the future?

On paper, you only need 5 years of peace officer experience (2 of which must be investigative experience) (in state civil service qualifying experience has to be at the level of correctional sergeant) to get a special agent position with OCS. It also helps if you were a correctional officer assigned to a prison's investigative unit or gangs. Realistically, you'll need 12-15 years of service in a variety of correctional positions (including leadership roles in higher ranks). Even then competition is stiff; it's a very small and prestigious unit. Something like 160 special agents statewide (last I saw), all Deputized as Special Deputy US Marshals. Another path is starting as a correctional officer, applying for a parole agent position after 2 years, and working your way into one of parole's CPATs (California Parolee Apprehension Teams). They work with many different agencies, including the Marshals. Their focus is solely fugitive work whereas OCS does that and then some. After some time in that position youd also be in a good spot to apply to a special agent position.

as for it being a good path to the Marshals, it wouldn't hurt but its going to be many years before the Marshals and most other federal agencies look at civilians for their Law Enforcment positions. Being a veteran (along with prior LE and grad degrees) will be your golden ticket. Although, DEA and FBI hire plenty of civilians. Find an agency you'll enjoy going to work at everyday, work earnestly hard no matter what task your given, and never loose sight of your dream. That's my advice.
    Last edited by Peacemaker54; 10-07-2014, 01:40 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5696 users online. 319 members and 5377 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X