Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange County Sheriff Academy - how much physical vs academic?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizz
    replied
    OCSD sucks, but you'll be fine.

I've always been "meh" with PT stuff. Never been much of a runner, middle/backish of the pack. Not overweight, just not overly physical. I was fine. I only had one PT "failure," which wasn't really a failure. I had the flu and still opted to participate, threw up about half way into the run and kept going. Tac staff nope'd me back to the classroom, which was kind of irritating since I could have easily completed the run. Oh well.

I think people get themselves too psyched up like they're going to Ranger school. It's not. I think the longest run that we did was like....7 miles maybe? That was Rio Hondo, not OCSD tho.

It also probably wouldn't hurt to look over the POST Learning Domains to get a vague idea of some of the stuff you'll be learning:
    https://post.ca.gov/Download-Student...CC-Workbooks-1

Leave a comment:

• PositiveOutlook
    replied
    Edited: found answer to my question
    Last edited by PositiveOutlook; 06-26-2019, 12:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• el_jefe
    replied
    Sometimes sets are back to back with no rest in between. Or you'll be done with pushups and you're stuck in the front leaning rest position waiting forever for the tacs to allow you to stand back up. Your whole body will be shaking trying to keep your body off the ground.

Sometimes you have a couple minutes in between.

My personal goal before the academy was to do on demand: 8 sets of 25 reps of the four pt exercises while saying the speeches and no rest in between. So 200 pushups,200 squats, etc. I was prepared for the academy and the pt was easy for me.

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    b1ub0x (or anyone else): How much rest is generally given between sets? I am sure it varies a lot, but is the average more like 20 seconds or more like 1 minute?

Just making sure my routine is optimized.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    Noted.
    ------

Leave a comment:

• Yo_CO
    replied
    OCSD Academy sucks balls, be prepared to hate your life.

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    Thanks el jefe and b1. Those specifics are very helpful!

Leave a comment:

• b1ub0x
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodpoint View Post
    Appreciate all of the replies -- thank you!

I have no problem giving 300% effort on everything. However, I am still curious how un-fit a person can be before they are kicked out of the academy. What if a person is so out of shape that they can never do better than a 45 minute 3 mile run, for example (again, not me)? Or a person who can only do sets of 15 pushups? Are those people getting DQ'd or is giving "max effort" still acceptable? And, yes, I understand that that person hasn't trained with "max effort" up until that point, but that is a slightly different issue.

Anyone who can give an example of the typical day and/or schedule of PT would be very much appreciated.
    Inspection - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
    First break - 75/push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
    Turning in folders - 25 push-ups/25 squat thrusts/25 mountain climbers
    Second break - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
    Lunch - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers

PT

2 hours of push-ups/squat thrusts/sit ups/mountain climbers

3 mile run in about 8:30-9 min pace

I'd say that's pretty close

Leave a comment:

• el_jefe
    replied
    The most reps you'll do is 25. Sets are not limited. You'll do sets all day.

You are only allowed to miss a few days of PT per POST. If you don't do all the sets you don't get credit for the day. Miss enough days and you'll get kicked out. This is also the same reason guys get kicked out for injuries.

Now let's say you get injured towards the end of the academy, but you have already completed all your PT hours because you never failed a day. You may still be able to graduate because any loss of PT days won't hurt you because you already have completed enough days.

If a guy is falling out the first week there is no way he's gonna pass the academy.

Academically OCSD gives out the same tests as other academies because they are state tests. Mental games on the other hand is what makes OCSD different. On top of the PT, you're expected to know everything DAY 1. Speeches, radio codes, protocol, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    I am also wondering what the best thing to do is in the event that your PT instructor orders your group to do a 5th set of 50 pushups and you can't physically manage to do more than 30? Do you stop and rest and try to regain the strength to finish the set? Or do you lay there attempting to continuously push but going nowhere? I imagine you catch flack for either one but which is the best option?

Thanks everyone!

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    Appreciate all of the replies -- thank you!

I have no problem giving 300% effort on everything. However, I am still curious how un-fit a person can be before they are kicked out of the academy. What if a person is so out of shape that they can never do better than a 45 minute 3 mile run, for example (again, not me)? Or a person who can only do sets of 15 pushups? Are those people getting DQ'd or is giving "max effort" still acceptable? And, yes, I understand that that person hasn't trained with "max effort" up until that point, but that is a slightly different issue.

Anyone who can give an example of the typical day and/or schedule of PT would be very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ateamer
    replied
    Just do what you're told, spend almost all of your off time studying and maintaining your equipment and keep your mouth shut. If they tell you to PT for eight hours, do it. The academy is the easiest five months of your career.

Leave a comment:

• CPDEMT
    replied
    Originally posted by b1ub0x View Post
    There will be extra things you will need to do. Class meetings and charity runs.
    Not to mention, there will be days where you start late to accommodate for night time scenarios and then still have to show back up early morning the next day.

Leave a comment:

• b1ub0x
    replied
    Originally posted by Goodpoint View Post
    Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

For clarity, my question about overtime was just meant to be sure the days have a fixed duration (rather than some days with an extra few hours of PT for example). Money is definitely the last thing on my mind.
    There will be extra things you will need to do. Class meetings and charity runs.

Leave a comment:

• Goodpoint
    replied
    Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

For clarity, my question about overtime was just meant to be sure the days have a fixed duration (rather than some days with an extra few hours of PT for example). Money is definitely the last thing on my mind.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4323 users online. 273 members and 4050 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X