Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange County Sheriff Academy - how much physical vs academic?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange County Sheriff Academy - how much physical vs academic?

I haven't been able to find information on this more current than 2008. I will certainly ask my BI, but I do not have one yet.

How much physical activity is there in a typical week? From what I have read it is about 2 hours of PT a day, maybe 30 minutes of lunch, and the rest is academics or tactics. Is this accurate? If so, any explanation of the 2 hours of PT would be appreciated.

Are we running every day? How far and at what pace?
    If the run takes only 30 minutes, does that mean there is an hour and half of calisthenics?
    How many pushups/situps are expected in a set and how much rest is allowed between sets?

I am in very good physical shape but I am not an Olympic athlete. How bad can a recruit be at PT before he or she is DQ'd for inadequate performance? Does the worst PT'er in each class generally get DQ'd or do they just catch a lot of extra yelling/humiliation? That wont be me, but I want to be mentally prepared for the worst.

Am I correct that the schedule is 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, with zero overtime?

Thank you!!

These are questions you do not need to concern yourself with. Prepare yourself by getting in shape beforehand. Put in full effort and do your best when you are there. You'll find out all your answers when you're immersed in it. You do not need to be, nor are you expected to be an Olympian.

The academy hours are 0700 to 1600 each day. You will be spending much of your off time studying and preparing for the next day. You should not be inquiring about overtime at this stage. If you get hired, just be thankful you are given the chance for this career.

Comment

Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

For clarity, my question about overtime was just meant to be sure the days have a fixed duration (rather than some days with an extra few hours of PT for example). Money is definitely the last thing on my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodpoint View Post
        Thank you for the response, it is much appreciated.

For clarity, my question about overtime was just meant to be sure the days have a fixed duration (rather than some days with an extra few hours of PT for example). Money is definitely the last thing on my mind.
        There will be extra things you will need to do. Class meetings and charity runs.

Comment

Originally posted by b1ub0x View Post
          There will be extra things you will need to do. Class meetings and charity runs.
          Not to mention, there will be days where you start late to accommodate for night time scenarios and then still have to show back up early morning the next day.

Comment

Just do what you're told, spend almost all of your off time studying and maintaining your equipment and keep your mouth shut. If they tell you to PT for eight hours, do it. The academy is the easiest five months of your career.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Appreciate all of the replies -- thank you!

I have no problem giving 300% effort on everything. However, I am still curious how un-fit a person can be before they are kicked out of the academy. What if a person is so out of shape that they can never do better than a 45 minute 3 mile run, for example (again, not me)? Or a person who can only do sets of 15 pushups? Are those people getting DQ'd or is giving "max effort" still acceptable? And, yes, I understand that that person hasn't trained with "max effort" up until that point, but that is a slightly different issue.

Anyone who can give an example of the typical day and/or schedule of PT would be very much appreciated.

Comment

I am also wondering what the best thing to do is in the event that your PT instructor orders your group to do a 5th set of 50 pushups and you can't physically manage to do more than 30? Do you stop and rest and try to regain the strength to finish the set? Or do you lay there attempting to continuously push but going nowhere? I imagine you catch flack for either one but which is the best option?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

The most reps you'll do is 25. Sets are not limited. You'll do sets all day.

You are only allowed to miss a few days of PT per POST. If you don't do all the sets you don't get credit for the day. Miss enough days and you'll get kicked out. This is also the same reason guys get kicked out for injuries.

Now let's say you get injured towards the end of the academy, but you have already completed all your PT hours because you never failed a day. You may still be able to graduate because any loss of PT days won't hurt you because you already have completed enough days.

If a guy is falling out the first week there is no way he's gonna pass the academy.

Academically OCSD gives out the same tests as other academies because they are state tests. Mental games on the other hand is what makes OCSD different. On top of the PT, you're expected to know everything DAY 1. Speeches, radio codes, protocol, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodpoint View Post
                    Appreciate all of the replies -- thank you!

I have no problem giving 300% effort on everything. However, I am still curious how un-fit a person can be before they are kicked out of the academy. What if a person is so out of shape that they can never do better than a 45 minute 3 mile run, for example (again, not me)? Or a person who can only do sets of 15 pushups? Are those people getting DQ'd or is giving "max effort" still acceptable? And, yes, I understand that that person hasn't trained with "max effort" up until that point, but that is a slightly different issue.

Anyone who can give an example of the typical day and/or schedule of PT would be very much appreciated.
                    Inspection - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
                    First break - 75/push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
                    Turning in folders - 25 push-ups/25 squat thrusts/25 mountain climbers
                    Second break - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers
                    Lunch - 75 push-ups/75 squat thrusts/75 mountain climbers

PT

2 hours of push-ups/squat thrusts/sit ups/mountain climbers

3 mile run in about 8:30-9 min pace

I'd say that's pretty close

Comment

Thanks el jefe and b1. Those specifics are very helpful!

Comment

OCSD Academy sucks balls, be prepared to hate your life.

Comment

Noted.
                          ------

Comment

b1ub0x (or anyone else): How much rest is generally given between sets? I am sure it varies a lot, but is the average more like 20 seconds or more like 1 minute?

Just making sure my routine is optimized.

Thanks!

Comment

Sometimes sets are back to back with no rest in between. Or you'll be done with pushups and you're stuck in the front leaning rest position waiting forever for the tacs to allow you to stand back up. Your whole body will be shaking trying to keep your body off the ground.

Sometimes you have a couple minutes in between.

My personal goal before the academy was to do on demand: 8 sets of 25 reps of the four pt exercises while saying the speeches and no rest in between. So 200 pushups,200 squats, etc. I was prepared for the academy and the pt was easy for me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6315 users online. 333 members and 5982 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X