Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Palomar College Police Academy (General San Diego Area Discussion)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palomar College Police Academy (General San Diego Area Discussion)

Is anyone currently attending or has recently attended the Palomar College Police Academy in San Marcos, CA? I know there are some older posts comparing academies in San Diego County, but I am hoping for some recent experience. Basically, I am applying to self-sponsor and I'm curious about the prospective job outlook for graduates. The Palomar College website says they offer on-site recruiting for agencies all over California. Is there any actual recruiting going on, or is it more like and unanswered open invitation?
    I know that applying to an agency that will pay me while I go through the academy is the better option. I am currently in backgrounds with El Cajon PD and have a couple of written tests scheduled with other agencies. Wish me luck.
    Anyone else in the hiring process with El Cajon, or applying to the Palomar Academy?

I cant comment directly on Palomar academy but you asked about job outlook... of the last regional academy which had a dozed or so self sponsors last i heard only 1 was picked up. Give you an idea... still no easy task. Good luck
    Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun

Comment

Man, that's pretty dispiriting. I've seen job listings from smaller cities advertised specifically to academy grads. I know there's no guarantee of a job, but I thought it'd be a little better than 1 in 12. Hopefully I get picked up by an agency. Maybe I should blow the rest of my GI Bill on finishing my master's degree.

Comment

I'm thinking of self-sponsoring as well except to SD Miramar College. The thing that sucks is that i'm still considered Out of State so my tuition alone is $6,000 plus a few other items and the GI Bill wont cover much upfront but it will pay me back eventually. I also applied to El Cajon as well and take their exam this coming weekend. Keep plugging away and checking online. The jobs are out there but they are just hard to come by.

Comment

Yesimajarhead, I was considering the Miramar academy as well. The October class is full, and when I called they said that they weren't accepting applications for the February class yet. Have you heard when they will be accepting apps for February? I wonder if Miramar would be a safer bet considering that most of the agencies in the area send their recruits there?
          As far as the out of state thing goes, by any chance did you go to high school in CA? If so then there is a work-around for getting in-state tuition. I think its called AB540. That's the boat I'm in, having lived in Vegas for the past couple of years.
          The written and physical tests area easy enough, just mark all the correct answers on the written and run as fast as you can on the PAT, haha. I did a ride along with El Cajon, and it seems like a great place to be. Best of luck.

Comment

Well I got my application in by the Sept 4 deadline so i can be slated for it depending on the space available. The departments have first picks on the seats but most agencies take a few months for hiring process so it all depends on where they are at. I would imagine it would be sometime towards the end of December for the February academy. Well according to the Miramar website they actually have a list of all the agencies that send their applicants there so it really can't hurt you any. Being out of state does suck since I am a transplant here, so I just have to be patient with it. I just have to plug away with the written tests.. I'm not a test taker at all. I get an anxiety about them and don't do well. I've taken tests from all over the East Coast and now here. I didn't do well on the SDPD test, so I can re-take it in 3 months. The academy stuff academics I do well on just because it's an interesting topic for me and i've taken some Criminal Justice classes... even passed a class with a B and I didn't even have the book for the whole semester lol. I just have to get past the initial hurdle which is the exam and everything after that is pretty straight forward. It all depends on what the agency wants. They all have their own way of doing things.. some don't like alot of debt so they've DQ'd me for that. I just have to stay positive. SDSO opens up their application on the 1st of October I believe.

Comment

I've taken a bunch of these tests. I know SDPD has a sort of different written test. El Cajon uses the PELLETB, and so do a lot of other agencies in San Diego. Theres no real subject matter or list of facts that you can learn in order to do better. I guess it sort of tests your ability to take a test. I found this on the POST website:
              http://lib.post.ca.gov/publications/...acticeTest.pdf
              A while back I was studying for the LSAT (before I realized that law school cost like 200K and has a pretty bad job outlook), and a lot of the logic/reasoning and reading comprehension stuff helped me on the PELLETB. I know that they make PELLETB study guides, but if you need more help maybe an LSAT study guide could give you an edge.
              My generic advise would be to 1) try to stay calm, 2) read the questions carefully, and 3) try to use the process of elimination.

Comment

There are plenty of job openings right now. If you can't get hired on that way, there's probably something that will keep you from getting hired on as a pre-service having self sponsored.... though some people go out to Imperial County and then come back.

Comment

Hey Yesimajarhead,

Are you active duty, or former military? If former, do you have less than three years since your separation? If so, you should know about this https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-state-tuition. This was passed back in August as part of a broader bill. Basically, if the school receives any type of funding from the federal government and you are a vet, three or less years out, you get in-state tuition. There is a link on the article to the actual gpo.gov website.

Hopefully this helps. And related to your question about Palomar, I knew one guy who did do it. For whatever reason, SDSO didn't take it and he was in my academy. So I don't know what problems he had or Palomar. I would venture though, if he got hired and sent to the academy on the SO tab, they didn't like something about Palomar more than something was wrong with him. Good cat, working Spring Valley now.

Comment

Sorry, this would have been a double post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4888 users online. 293 members and 4595 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X