Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LAPD/ LASD Civil Service or competing life experience against other applicants?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LAPD/ LASD Civil Service or competing life experience against other applicants?

    Considering flying out to test for LAPD/ LASD. Are they Civil Service as in a test score then pass fail? Or will I get to a stage and then compared against other applicants? What are the chances of getting on with LAPD/ LASD with no military and no prior police experience? How many trips out for each? Thanks

  • #2
    Kip, where do you live? I looked at your profile and saw you have been posting the same question to departments in other states (Hawaii, Alaska, Texas, NY, Maine). Try narrowing it down. There are big differences between LAPD and LA Sheriff... much more differences between California Law Enforcement and other states.

    To a background investigator this may be an issue if your shotgunning applications to east and west coast departments. I understand you are probably looking to land any job that you can, but at least try to narrow it down a little bit.

    Even in LA, an officer vs deputy' career is going to be a lot different.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm on the east coast and want to focus on departments that I actually have a chance without having experience.

      Comment


      • #4
        I think in any process you are going to be competing with other applicants with military, 4 yr degrees or both. Some will have PO experience either civi or sworn. Have you looked at volunteering at your local PD while you wait to hear back?

        Comment


        • #5
          As long as you're a quality person and have nothing in your background to hold you back, you stand as much chance to get on with the LAPD as does anyone else. You don't have to have prior military or police background.

          LAPD has an expedited testing process where if you qualify for it, you can do all the testing in either one or two trips. Check out the recruiting website, joinlapd.com to find out more info.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have been applying to the Southern states and keep getting told that there are more qualified candidates. So LAPD is civil service? Was wondering bc I know the FD out there is a lottery and then score is based on the interview.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kip42 View Post
              I have been applying to the Southern states and keep getting told that there are more qualified candidates. So LAPD is civil service? Was wondering bc I know the FD out there is a lottery and then score is based on the interview.
              Check out the website I mentioned, it should answer most if not all of your questions.

              Comment


              • #8
                Both agencies are civil service. However with the number of applicants in processing it is common to prioritize the candidates and the final screening for who actually gets an academy spot could be based on who the "best candidate" is based on executive review.
                Today's Quote:

                "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kip42 View Post
                  Considering flying out to test for LAPD/ LASD. Are they Civil Service as in a test score then pass fail? Or will I get to a stage and then compared against other applicants? What are the chances of getting on with LAPD/ LASD with no military and no prior police experience? How many trips out for each? Thanks
                  do u even experience life bro?
                  Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                  Me: At least someone recognizes it.

                  Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hey man, I just finished the expedited testing this week for LA. I can only tell you what I went through and some of the other folks too. First off, make sure you call a recruiter (they call them mentor) and if you have anything shady in your past ask about it. One of the applicants flew out from NYC and was kicked out in the initial background because he did LSD once about 15 years ago. They were actually surprisingly picky on the background (That's an extreme example) so check and see if your past is going to haunt you at all.

                    Out of those who tested, we had 43 accepted to the testing and 18 show up. After 3 days only 4 of us were still left as eligible. We lost 0 to the written test, 0 to PT, about 6-8 on initial background, and then the last 6-8 on poly and interview (I think more from interview). I don't know which 4 of us passed medical too, but I'd wager we all did.

                    Of those who survived, our backgrounds were a little varied. I'm active duty military (Air Force) with military police experience. 1 was a young woman who worked clerk duties for a sheriff but not further LE or military experience. Another was a senior in college, no LE or military experience. The last was a AF reservist, so unless he deployed he doesn't really count in the military experience as much as active duty. I don't know how we racked and stacked (or if anyone failed out in medical). They told me they would start my background provided nothing popped up on the second review of my file (Which it won't is my guess) and that I might have to come back for a trip with the background investigator and/or have a sit-down with a psychologist. But they swear up and down they're hiring and need to fill classes soon, so we shall see how truthful that is.

                    Joinlapd.com has a lot of info. I would fill out their pre-application (PBH or something, it's online) and then call them if you pass and ask about expedited. It was very professional and easy to do, so if you're interested, you only hurt yourself by not trying.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shadow280 View Post
                      Hey man, I just finished the expedited testing this week for LA. I can only tell you what I went through and some of the other folks too. First off, make sure you call a recruiter (they call them mentor) and if you have anything shady in your past ask about it. One of the applicants flew out from NYC and was kicked out in the initial background because he did LSD once about 15 years ago. They were actually surprisingly picky on the background (That's an extreme example) so check and see if your past is going to haunt you at all.

                      Out of those who tested, we had 43 accepted to the testing and 18 show up. After 3 days only 4 of us were still left as eligible. We lost 0 to the written test, 0 to PT, about 6-8 on initial background, and then the last 6-8 on poly and interview (I think more from interview). I don't know which 4 of us passed medical too, but I'd wager we all did.

                      Of those who survived, our backgrounds were a little varied. I'm active duty military (Air Force) with military police experience. 1 was a young woman who worked clerk duties for a sheriff but not further LE or military experience. Another was a senior in college, no LE or military experience. The last was a AF reservist, so unless he deployed he doesn't really count in the military experience as much as active duty. I don't know how we racked and stacked (or if anyone failed out in medical). They told me they would start my background provided nothing popped up on the second review of my file (Which it won't is my guess) and that I might have to come back for a trip with the background investigator and/or have a sit-down with a psychologist. But they swear up and down they're hiring and need to fill classes soon, so we shall see how truthful that is.

                      Joinlapd.com has a lot of info. I would fill out their pre-application (PBH or something, it's online) and then call them if you pass and ask about expedited. It was very professional and easy to do, so if you're interested, you only hurt yourself by not trying.



                      Did they say how long it would take to wrap up your background investigation?
                      LA MIGRA LIVES FOREVER!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They did not. They talked about 1-3 months but mentioned they'd have some take 6 months. Mine should be pretty easy unless they try and talk to all my supervisors (Military so they're all over the world now and don't have commercial numbers)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A complete background investigation time frame can be different for everyone. It will all depend on a myriad of factors. If you're only 22 years-old, you'll probably have less things to look at and investigate; if you're 32 or 42 years-old, you're gonna have a lot more things to look at and investigate. Things like:

                          how many different jobs you've had up to this point; if you're prior or current military; any college you have; how many different places you've lived; your financial background has to be looked at; references need to be contacted, any medical issues you might have, paperwork that you might need to provide, etc.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 5928 users online. 327 members and 5601 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X