300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA DMV INvestigator

A little curious if anybody here has been or known a DMV investigator. Is there any insight that can be shared with me?

Originally posted by emerorlincoln View Post
    A little curious if anybody here has been or known a DMV investigator. Is there any insight that can be shared with me?
    I have a good friend that is a retired DMV Investigator.
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

I too have a friend that is a retired CA DMV Investigator

I know SEVERAL Iowa DMV Investigators
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I worked with them quite a bit when I was in CA. Decent job. A lot of paper crimes, dealing with shady dealerships, stolen car rings. The area I worked got pretty heavy into the organized crime aspect of the crooked car dealerships. Guys interact a lot with task forces as well. Document fraud as it relates to DMV documents, titles, fake Driver License mills. Depending on your office it can be very diverse or it can be a lot of sitting at a desk. I did a lot of surveillance work with them. Seemed interesting enough.

Comment

Do you happen to know if they receive a decent amount of OT? Weaponry, take home cars? Seems like ot is neccessry with the not so great salary.

Comment

if you base a job on the availability of OT to make up to live then you are looking in the wrong career field. OT comes and goes you learn to live off the salary you make. When OT comes you save and pay off bills or save and buy a new ride in CASH. You never factor OT into you basic living. Don't worry about the OT. Look at the salary if it does not meet your needs or if you can not cut things so it can then keep looking
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Depending on OT can really bite you in the butt..... My last few years in patrol we had massive amounts of overtime.. One Deputy and his Deputy wife bought a 700k home figuring their huge OT checks would help with their huge house payment...All was good for about 2 years and the OT dried up... Deputy and his wife couldn't make their whopping house payment and ended up losing their home that they never should have bought in the first place...
              Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                Depending on OT can really bite you in the butt..... My last few years in patrol we had massive amounts of overtime.. One Deputy and his Deputy wife bought a 700k home figuring their huge OT checks would help with their huge house payment...All was good for about 2 years and the OT dried up... Deputy and his wife couldn't make their whopping house payment and ended up losing their home that they never should have bought in the first place...
                Sounds like they had other money management issues as two deputies should easily be able to make the payment on a 700K house with zero overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by emerorlincoln View Post
                  Do you happen to know if they receive a decent amount of OT? Weaponry, take home cars? Seems like ot is neccessry with the not so great salary.
                  OT: Already answered.
                  Weaponry: Who cares? They are just tools. Our MP5's were good armrests in the patrol cars. Of all the jobs in law enforcement, if you want to deal with weaponry, the DMV shouldn't be your first choice.

We had a class by a DMV investigator once. He spent a good amount of time trying to tell us he was a cop. We didn't care either way but he sure did.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam View Post
                    Sounds like they had other money management issues as two deputies should easily be able to make the payment on a 700K house with zero overtime.
                    This was 25 years ago and we didn't make nearly as much as they do now....Both of their salaries wasn't near enough to make the house payment and other bills...
                    Retired LASD

Comment

As hbliam said, if you are looking at a job with the DMV and are concerned with "weaponry," you are looking for LAPD or something more action packed. Not the DMV. Most guys that work in investigative jobs could care less about what kind of gun they use as long as it fired because they are doing investigations not patrol work. All the kick in door stuff and whatnot is usually done by local/county/state guys when enforcement action outside of the norm is needed for an investigation case.

Comment

If you are looking at a State job, keep in mind you could be assigned to LA, Sac, SF or Fresno & I think the pay is all the same. Cost-of-living is way different. State jobs are tough especially when the budget isn't settled by 6/30 & pay is on hold. Talk to someone doing the job before you apply/commit.

Comment

Are you post certified ? if not don't even waste your time applying. I have applied to that agency over 150 times and never have I received a call for an interview. even with a high score on the exam.

Comment

You have applied with CA DMV 150 times? Right...
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Well... Sometimes it IS hard to pass the driving test...
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4989 users online. 235 members and 4754 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X