300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window tint

Was eyeying a nice Silverado in the dealers lot the other day and saw that some of the factory tint (the glass not any tint film) was dark as hell.

Got to reading section 26708.5(b) that says factory tint is OK within the scope of US DOT standards and couldn't help but wonder what are the DOT standards.

Anyone have any idea? CHP brothers maybe you can chime in.

Factory tint equivalent to the film tint cant be legal right?
    Last edited by NuBoot1035; 08-30-2014, 12:25 AM.

Don't take this the wrong way... But how did you pass FTO? You have posted so many questions that should have been part of your training. But here, I'll help you out. Walk up to a chippie next time you're on duty and ASK!
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

No offense taken. Honestly, lot of this info I see is just given at face value. Which I agree most doesn't need explanation.

But I like reading, and evolving my game, we all know its part of the game.

It boils down to competence for me. Knowing the ins and outs of why you can do something.

I'm sure most, as was I, are surprised to find out what's always changing.

We don't progress if we dont ask questions and revaulate.

Granted I get your point is not to over think the small things.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        Don't take this the wrong way... But how did you pass FTO? You have posted so many questions that should have been part of your training. But here, I'll help you out. Walk up to a chippie next time you're on duty and ASK!
        You are going to give this guy shiiiiit for asking a question? I guess you know everything thing about police work and the in's and outs of every California code? I know your type... You are that guy who fuks up an investigation because you are too prideful to ask other coppers about something you don't know.

And every cop on this board knows sometimes it takes a few heads getting together to figure out how to handle some calls. So don't act like you know everything by putting another person down when he is asking a question about something he does not know and wants to learn about.
        Last edited by Feb2nd1979; 08-30-2014, 06:32 PM.

Comment

If anyone's interested found my answer through research and discusssion. DOT and states through glazing section 205 that factory tinted glass can't be less than 70%. If your state allows more than what I saw at the dealership is legal, but that's contingent on everyone's state law.

Here's the section I found. So if any of us get challenged in court you have more ammo for the argument.
          http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations...section/393.60

Comment

You never mentioned what windows were tinted..... If it's the driver or passenger front door glass it won't have factory tint and can't have aftermarket tint, or you can cite them. As for behind the driver, the factory tint is usually about 35-50% , meaning it only lets 35-50% of the light in and it's pretty dark. It's what you see on most trucks/SUV's.

We typically cite 26708a1, rather than 26708.5

Comment

Originally posted by NuBoot1035 View Post
              If anyone's interested found my answer through research and discusssion. DOT and states through glazing section 205 that factory tinted glass can't be less than 70%. If your state allows more than what I saw at the dealership is legal, but that's contingent on everyone's state law.

Here's the section I found. So if any of us get challenged in court you have more ammo for the argument.
              http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations...section/393.60
              The 70% is only for windshield, and driver and passenger front windows. It's basically a UV tint that a lot of the European cars come with from the factory. It's knocks down some of the suns glare and has UV blockage. Most people wouldn't look at the windows and think they are tinted, that's how light the coloring is.

As mentioned in previous post, this does not apply to the back doors, behind the driver or the rear window.
              Last edited by RamZ ; 09-09-2014, 04:22 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6448 users online. 348 members and 6100 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X