300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monterey Count Sheriff's Department?

Hello everyone. New member her, and first time poster. I'm currently in the beginning stages of the hiring process for the position of deputy recruit for the Monterey County Sheriff's Office. I wanted to ask here if anyone of you is working for, has worked for? Or knows individuals who work/have worked for the MCSO? And if so, how do you like it? How do they people you know that work there like it? Sorry if my grammar is horrible. I haven't been to school in years. Thank you all for any responses.

Originally posted by Ca_Resident_89 View Post
    Hello everyone. New member her, and first time poster. I'm currently in the beginning stages of the hiring process for the position of deputy recruit for the Monterey County Sheriff's Office. I wanted to ask here if anyone of you is working for, has worked for? Or knows individuals who work/have worked for the MCSO? And if so, how do you like it? How do they people you know that work there like it? Sorry if my grammar is horrible. I haven't been to school in years. Thank you all for any responses.
    I don't know anyone at MCSO.

Your grammar isn't horrible. I only caught 2 or 3 mistakes.
    Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
    Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

You will spend a lot of time in the jails.

Monterey County has a tiny (sarcasm) gang problem.

If your English is bad, how is your Spanish?

Some love it, some hate it.

You will struggle in the Academy-if you are hired at all. Good luck!
      semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
        I don't know anyone at MCSO.

Your grammar isn't horrible. I only caught 2 or 3 mistakes.
        Thanks for the response blizz. Haha thanks, if I really tried I would have made even less mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
          You will spend a lot of time in the jails.

Monterey County has a tiny (sarcasm) gang problem.

If your English is bad, how is your Spanish?

Some love it, some hate it.

You will struggle in the Academy-if you are hired at all. Good luck!
          I know that about Monterey County RGDS. I was born and raised here. I love this County regardless. So you think I will spend a lot of time in the jails? I have a friend who has a friend that is about to graduate the academy and he says he's going straight to patrol once sworn in. My English is bad? I didn't think it was? I said my grammar might be bad. I was never a good writer and haven't written a report or paper in years. Anyways, my Spanish is not that good. I can hold a simple conversation but can get lost pretty easily with fluent speakers. I am Hispanic but have only been learning/speaking Spanish the past 3 or 4 years. English is my first and pretty much my only language. I didn't grow up speaking Spanish :/ why do you ask RGDS? And yes i know most academies are a challenge. I'm betting on that.

Comment

I knew a guy who lateraled between MCSO and my agency a couple times. He had a hard time with the amount of jail time they were making him work.

If you have updated info, good! Getting FTO out of the way is a major step. STC is a lot longer but FTO is your meal ticket to landing on your feet if you have to.

Growing up in MC, I am surprised you ask about speaking Spanish as a cop. Have you done a ride-a-long yet?
            semper destravit

Comment

I knew a guy who lateraled between MCSO and my agency a couple times. He had a hard time with the amount of jail time they were making him work.

If you have updated info, good! Getting FTO out of the way is a major step. STC is a lot longer but FTO is your meal ticket to landing on your feet if you have to.

Growing up in MC, I am surprised you ask about speaking Spanish as a cop. Have you done a ride-a-long yet?
              I'm not surprised to hear the guy you know was working so much at the jail. I've heard almost every one working jail were working crazy hours and stacking up a lot of overtime. The SO kind of got in trouble with the county for letting this happen. I think that is part of the reason they are hiring again, they said it would be cheaper than letting everybody work so much overtime. Yes I think things have changed at the MCSO the past couple years as far as how rookies start and train. I guess it should have been pretty obvious why you asked if I speak Spanish. I do know that Spanish is spoken just as much if not more than English in some cities in Monterey County. Like I said, I speak some. I speak enough to be useful I think.

No RGDS I have not gone on a ride along. I've heard many LEOs advice I do but i don't know if I'll have the time between work, family, and the upcoming tests/exams for the SO. They've told us if everything goes well for us that we could be taken to the academy as soon as October. Why do you and everyone else highly recommend a ride alone so much? Isn't that stuff you can/will learn sooner or later in training?

Comment

A ride-a-long puts your in the car of the agency you want to work for. It gives you first hand knowledge of what the place is all about.

You will not learn how to do the job on a ride-a-long. You will see if you really want to do the work though. It's a a good litmus test.
                semper destravit

Comment

A ride-a-long puts your in the car of the agency you want to work for. It gives you first hand knowledge of what the place is all about.

You will not learn how to do the job on a ride-a-long. You will see if you really want to do the work though. It's a a good litmus test.
                  I get what you're saying. Thank you for the info and advice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5659 users online. 326 members and 5333 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X