300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD Preperation

I am hoping someone can help answer some questions for me about the LA Sheriffs Academy. I did search through the forums but I have not found the answers I need. I am not going to be a LA Sheriff but my hiring agency will be sending me through their academy.

1. What are the PT requirements? (i.e. Minimum Mile Time, minimum pushups, etc.)
    2. Do they treat non LA Sheriffs recruits differently?
    3. What is the scoring scale for the "500"? I cannot find that information anywhere.
    4. I am doing Crossfit 3-5 times a week and running about 3-4 times a week anywhere from 1/2 mile sprints to 3 miles. Is this enough?
    5. Is there a gear list for what I need to purchase or how much should I set aside to purchase required items?

I am in my early 30's so I know I will not be the youngest guy there. I want to be able to not only "keep up" but excel. Any information will be helpful. Thank you in advance.
    Owning a Smartphone Does Not Make You Smart - Randall L. Ridd

Your best preparation will be working on your spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner710 View Post

1. What are the PT requirements? (i.e. Minimum Mile Time, minimum pushups, etc.)
      IF you can run a mile in a half under 12 minutes, I say your ahead of the game, if you can do more than 50 push ups in arow than your also ahead of the game

NO, you all get treated the same. However I must say, I have heard of agencies such as Torrance, who will fire a recruit if they have a bad attitude, which usually comes up during the peer review evaluations

3. What is the scoring scale for the "500"? I cannot find that information anywhere.
      google is your friend http://publicsafety.utah.gov/post/pdf/PT.pdf

4. I am doing Crossfit 3-5 times a week and running about 3-4 times a week anywhere from 1/2 mile sprints to 3 miles. Is this enough?
      Yes its more than enough, you want to be careful about over-training it can lead to injuries

5. Is there a gear list for what I need to purchase or how much should I set aside to purchase required items?
      You will be provided with this gear list once you get hired by whatever agency hires you.
      I would say you are over thinking this too much, get your fitness to the very best you can before the academy. When I went through the academy I would see a lot of recruits struggling with PT which would add a lot more stress than they already have.
      sigpic

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
      -George Orwell

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/t16810/
        8 minute mile, 100 pushups in 1 minute, 100 sit ups in 1 minute, 20 pull-ups in 30 seconds.

Yes, non-LASD students don't have to PT or do anything rigorous. They visit the coffee cart while LASD recruits get smoked.

It's the 300, not the 500. http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-11

No, start Crossfitting 7 times a week.

Yes, be sure to purchase a tan MOLLE vest with as many pouches as you can fit on it. Also get huge SHERIFF patches for the front and back, make sure the letters are gold, not green. Make sure your pistol is carried in a dropleg SERPA holster at all times.

I am in my early 30's so I know I will not be the youngest guy there. I want to be able to not only "keep up" but excel. Any information will be helpful. Thank you in advance.
        Best of luck, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Also, for the love of God. Don't listen to a single thing I say, I'm totally trolling this thread.

In all seriousness though...go look at what the POST PT exam consists of. On running, if you can bump the distance on your runs up to like, 5-7 miles, that would probably be better. If you're doing Crossfit 3-5 times a week, you're probably fine.
        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
          8 minute mile, 100 pushups in 1 minute, 100 sit ups in 1 minute, 20 pull-ups in 30 seconds.

Yes, non-LASD students don't have to PT or do anything rigorous. They visit the coffee cart while LASD recruits get smoked.

It's the 300, not the 500. http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/muscle-building-11

No, start Crossfitting 7 times a week.

Yes, be sure to purchase a tan MOLLE vest with as many pouches as you can fit on it. Also get huge SHERIFF patches for the front and back, make sure the letters are gold, not green. Make sure your pistol is carried in a dropleg SERPA holster at all times.

Best of luck, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Also, for the love of God. Don't listen to a single thing I say, I'm totally trolling this thread.

In all seriousness though...go look at what the POST PT exam consists of. On running, if you can bump the distance on your runs up to like, 5-7 miles, that would probably be better. If you're doing Crossfit 3-5 times a week, you're probably fine.
          I laughed so hard reading the first part. I can make my runs longer, and that will be my next step. Also is there anyplace that LASD lists academy dates online? I have been told I might go in either September or November, but it depends on the Sheriffs department not my department. I was just hoping to see what dates they are planning for the Academy. Thank you for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by cruz0311 View Post
            I would say you are over thinking this too much, get your fitness to the very best you can before the academy. When I went through the academy I would see a lot of recruits struggling with PT which would add a lot more stress than they already have.
            I may be over thinking. I was told that a majority of the people who fail the academy fail because they struggle with PT which makes them do horrible on tests. I want to cover my bases. I am smart so I should not have an issue with the education side but I do not want to slip up because I am not in the physical shape I need to be in to pass. I looked at that link, is vertical jump something you are really scored on?
            Thank you for your help.

Comment

The department doesnt post the academy dates. Simply because as any one knows the county changes things at the last minute all the time.

Good news for smaller pd's is rio hondo is starting or started back up.
              I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Anybody attending LASD academy ought to watch The Academy on Hulu. All the episodes are there for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Rakh View Post
                  Anybody attending LASD academy ought to watch The Academy on Hulu. All the episodes are there for free.
                  I found out this week that all training for LASD will take place at Biscailuz Center which is "a 36,000 square-foot training academy off Eastern Avenue". The College of the Canyons academdy I thought I might be slotted for looks like it will be canceled so LASD can send everyone through Biscailuz Center. From the pictures on Facebook it looks nice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6393 users online. 368 members and 6025 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X