Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions About Self-Sponsored Academies.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions About Self-Sponsored Academies.

Hey guys! Just had a few questions about self-sponsored academies.
    1.Is it a good idea? do I have a good chance of getting hired by a department? do you recommend it?
    2.Where are the ones located in So Cal? and how much are they to attend? can I do part time?
    3.Will they accept me if I am in the army reserves?
    4.Will I need to endure another testing cycle if a department wants to hire me?(Written,medical,phys,etc.)
    5.Any tips on surviving financially when attending the academy?

My biggest concern is the last question. Any answers would be great thanks!

You can't miss academy for drills. You would have to set up drill make up with your command.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

1.Is it a good idea? [COLOR="#FF0000"]Maybe[/COLOR] do I have a good chance of getting hired by a department? Maybe, depends on the Agency. Some like that they don't have to pay for that part of your training. do you recommend it? Not if you are looking at an agency that required you to go to their academy.
      2.Where are the ones located in So Cal? and how much are they to attend? can I do part time? Check the POST website. Look for Modular or Extended academies.
      3.Will they accept me if I am in the army reserves? Yes but if your training takes away from too many training hours, or mandated training, you won't be able to complete the academy.
      4.Will I need to endure another testing cycle if a department wants to hire me?(Written,medical,phys,etc.) Yes, self-sponsored academies are basically colleges that you pay to go through. They may include sponsored recruits, but you are paying your own way.Agencies have their own testing but may waive the written & physical if you tested within one year.
      5.Any tips on surviving financially when attending the academy? Go to a part-time academy and save up in advance. It's a hard road, but doable. Every academy has work outside classes: homework, uniform prep, studying, etc.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am currently looking at the academy that Fullerton College has but cant find much about it. Does anyone have any information about this academy?

Comment

I self sponsored and it worked out great for me. I know most departments almost seem to prefer you have an academy certificate and my department that I work for won't even look at you unless you are currently in an academy or have completed one.

I could be wrong but I believe that you can self sponsor through SBSO Academy, which has a good reputation in my parts. Cost is about $3,000 to $4,000.00.

My department will not make you take a test or a physical if you have already been through an academy. All you would have to do is; Oral, Background, Polygraph, Psych and Medical.

Hope that helps.

Comment

MilkyGuy - you can find out alot of your answers by doing a search here on the forums and or google in general but in response to some of the other stuff you asked...

Awesome for SOCAleo but doesnt always work out well for everyone. I have seen some departments pick up guys that have put themselves through and other times they wont. The last two big regional academies have had only a small percent get picked up prior to graduation, no idea after. It is not easy. I have talked with alot of the self sponsors. You need to really be prepared. MORE so than the sponsored people. It is an uphill battle but if you win you will win big. Good luck.
            Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun

Comment

If you dont mind me asking what academy did you attend and how long ago? I was looking at GWC or Part time at FCC and they both seem pretty good. Were there recruits in your class that didnt get hired?

Also if I do self-sponsor will bigger PDs or SDs hire me still? or would it give me a better chance them to pick me up? I wouldnt mind going through their academy again if it means getting hired.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyguy View Post
                If you dont mind me asking what academy did you attend and how long ago? I was looking at GWC or Part time at FCC and they both seem pretty good. Were there recruits in your class that didnt get hired?

Also if I do self-sponsor will bigger PDs or SDs hire me still? or would it give me a better chance them to pick me up? I wouldnt mind going through their academy again if it means getting hired.
                Just an FYI, you can have all of the training in the world, but if your background doesn't look as favorable compared to those who have less, the same, and or more training and experience as you, I'd hold off on self-sponsoring and fix your background first. A couple of years ago, I was really close to self-sponsoring, but then I asked around and multiple people said, why would you self-sponsor when you can get hired and get paid to go to the academy?

Comment

My background is fine. I am considering self-sponsor because i feel it will give me an edge up on other applicants. I dont have anything that stands out for me aside from being in the army reserves. I have zero college experience and im 22 years old with little life experience.
                  At the moment im currently working two jobs and saving up for self-sponsoring myself. If i do decide to attend a part time academy I will be working a full time and going to the academy.

Comment

Here is my two cents. I am graduating the academy this week and have 4 self sponsors graduating in my section.

1.Is it a good idea? do I have a good chance of getting hired by a department? do you recommend it?

It looks good when you apply. The problem that most of the self sponsors are having is their background. If you aren't able to get hired at an agency that will put you through the academy, things may not change once you graduate the academy either. Only one self sponsor will be graduating with a job. The other 10ish have been applying with no luck because their backgrounds are what is holding them back.

2.Where are the ones located in So Cal? and how much are they to attend? can I do part time?

San Diego Regional Academy accepts opens (self sponsored). It is a full time academy: Mon-Fri 0700-1530.

3.Will they accept me if I am in the army reserves?

Yes.

4.Will I need to endure another testing cycle if a department wants to hire me?(Written,medical,phys,etc.)

Most of the agencies in SD county allow the opens to skip the written test and physical agility test. They apply and then go to the following step of the process if selected.

5.Any tips on surviving financially when attending the academy?

None of them are able to work another job outside of the academy. Two of them are reserves and do drill one weekend a month. Their wives or GI bill support them for the most part.

This is my opinion from what I have observed during the past six months at the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyguy View Post
                      My background is fine. I am considering self-sponsor because i feel it will give me an edge up on other applicants. I dont have anything that stands out for me aside from being in the army reserves. I have zero college experience and im 22 years old with little life experience.
                      At the moment im currently working two jobs and saving up for self-sponsoring myself. If i do decide to attend a part time academy I will be working a full time and going to the academy.

Have you actually gone through the process of being an applicant at an agency and gotten as far as the background portion? The only way you'll know your background is solid is if you get the green light from your BI or if you get non-selected. If you do get non-selected and if you're lucky, your BI will tell you why and what you need to do to be successful the next time around. Untill you reach the background portion, you won't know how good your background really is.
                      Last edited by SyntaxError; 08-05-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Agree with above posters. I self sponsored years ago and I did not get on anywhere. But that was 1999 and I was like you just got out of the military, no college. It did not help much.

I would try for SDSO, they are fast and if you make it through the Pre-lim background meeting and you are totally honest then you know where you stand.

CA State ABC Agent is hiring down in SOCAL right now! I am in the process with them now. They will pay you and sponsor you through the academy, and pay for all your equipment. Try them they are pretty fast 3 to 6 months.

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/wvpos/more_info.cfm?recno=567396

Comment

Originally posted by Raidergx View Post
                          Agree with above posters. I self sponsored years ago and I did not get on anywhere. But that was 1999 and I was like you just got out of the military, no college. It did not help much.

I would try for SDSO, they are fast and if you make it through the Pre-lim background meeting and you are totally honest then you know where you stand.

CA State ABC Agent is hiring down in SOCAL right now! I am in the process with them now. They will pay you and sponsor you through the academy, and pay for all your equipment. Try them they are pretty fast 3 to 6 months.

http://jobs.spb.ca.gov/wvpos/more_info.cfm?recno=567396
                          Thanks for the response! I was looking into ABC earlier and will be applying soon! Do I apply online? I cant seem to find the application either that or the page is having trouble loading.

Also, yes I have been through a background process with Long Beach PD but was not selected in the end due to lack of life experience(I am 22y/o). I have been in the background process with LASD for about two years and counting. My fear is getting a No thank you letter for the same reason and that is why i'm leaning towards self sponsor.

Comment

Lack of college & your young age may be big roadblocks.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                              Lack of college & your young age may be big roadblocks.
                              I have no college because I just got out the military. Do you think I would have been better off attending college first?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6429 users online. 372 members and 6057 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X