300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTOs and Navigation

Are you FTOs still using Thomas Bros. for navigation with trainees? I know we have station-level RD maps but I've heard some trainees are solely using GPS from day one.
    The Thousandth Man

I make sure they can use a thomas guide and read a street map. Make them use it until I am comfortable that they can flip pages and understand how its laid out and then its on to what they will be using for the rest of their careers. Technology.

Comment

What? I had to use a folded up map that I studied constantly. If I had to look at said map to get to a call I was dinged for it.

It would take longer to enter an address in a gps then it should take to drive there.

Comment

First month they are supposed to be TB guide only. Then after that they can use the in car mapping system (which shows you where you are and where the call is, but you still have to figure out the route on your own). No GPS nav systems for trainees, ever. I don't like seeing them in anyones car, but I don't control that. People never learn their beats with those things. We have major issues with trainees who don't know how to navigate, read a map, figure out directions, etc etc.

Comment

It's this new generation of cops that rely heavily on technology which can fail you at any time.

I don't allow recruits to use GPS or their cell phones during FTO. Learn to use a map. My recruits better have a detailed map on the first day! You can get the AAA maps for free if your a member. I tell recruits to pick up at least two of them, cut out the relevant patrol area and laminate it. Also fold and put an extra copy in your pocket just in case.

It ****es me off to see cops texting or using their phones to check their social media sites while out on patrol.

Pay attention to your surroundings! Don't get caught off guard. Your life or your partner's life depend on you being attentive and alert to possible dangers and hazards.

Ask yourself this question, when one of your brothers or sisters is requesting a 10-25 and you don't know how to get there and your cell phone GPS app does not get a signal, then what????!!!

You better know how to get there and you better get there fast, otherwise we're going to have a serious problem!
          Last edited by CA Cop; 07-20-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Good to hear. I never made FTO but soley depending on GPS seems like a bad habit. When MDCs go down a lot of deps struggle with manually dispatched calls too.
            The Thousandth Man

Comment

The thing that using a map provides is an overall layout of the area. What towns border you, where xways are in relation to your town, streets that feed into those xways, etc. Get in a chase and it doesn't stop at your towns border. Have to know streets in the border towns. Best way to learn is driving that town, alleys, streets, around RR tracks, bridges, etc.

Big problem here. We hire a lot of recruits that were never city residents, don't know anything but the areas near north side night spots. Then they get out of the Academy and are bounced from one walking post to another District and different walking posts, never learning any areas.
              Last edited by ChiTownDet; 07-21-2014, 12:01 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6549 users online. 365 members and 6184 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X