300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASD Dual Career Path

I apologize if this is a duplicate of any sorts but i couldnt find any info on the forums. In ref to the new LASD Dual career path, is it realistic to think that someone might actually go straight to patrol from academy? I read about the program from the website and its a little vague as to how it really works. Is it just supposed to decrease your custody time significantly or what? Anyone have any further on this?
    Last edited by Adams23; 05-26-2014, 12:49 PM. Reason: typos

Currently you will not go directly to patrol, but that will most likely change in time as custody division fills up
    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
      Currently you will not go directly to patrol, but that will most likely change in time as custody division fills up
      so what exactly does the dual career path do?

Comment

Before dual track all deputies had to complete patrol training as a condition of their continued employment as a deputy. Now a deputy may choose to remain in custody. They may also promote within custody division. However, if they decide to transfer to patrol after promotion they will need to demote back down to deputy.
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
          Before dual track all deputies had to complete patrol training as a condition of their continued employment as a deputy. Now a deputy may choose to remain in custody. They may also promote within custody division. However, if they decide to transfer to patrol after promotion they will need to demote back down to deputy.
          Understood, thanks for that. Would you happen to have any idea nowadays how long you spend in custody before you can transfer out to patrol?
          Or maybe TSB/courts?

Comment

Depends on what Station you put in for.

Comment

Bumping this thread to see if there are any updates about how this works

Comment

Originally posted by CSO_Jim
                That can't be right? It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Who in their right mind would accept a demotion just to go to patrol? From sergeant back to deputy is just an insult. I would sue for unfair employment practices and loss of wages/benefits.
                And you would lose.....to be a Sgt in any patrol assignment requires you to be patrol certified....period, full stop, end of story.

The Sgts tests are split into two separate tracts as well....custody and patrol.....so if you promoted to Sgt on the custody side, you weren't promoted on a 'patrol' sgt list.
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Also, there are very few 'wage and benefit ' loses to whine about either.....no difference in benefits at all, and patrol makes MORE $$$ than does custody.
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    And you would lose.....to be a Sgt in any patrol assignment requires you to be patrol certified....period, full stop, end of story.

The Sgts tests are split into two separate tracts as well....custody and patrol.....so if you promoted to Sgt on the custody side, you weren't promoted on a 'patrol' sgt list.
                    There you have it!

Comment

LA Dep, how can one tell a difference between a custody and a patrol sergeant?

Identical badge and ID card?
                      One knows what he or she is doing out in the field?

Same ID ect....the differences are all internal to LASD.....this 'dual tract' thing is still fairly new....the idea is to allow those that wish to remain working a custody type assignment to do so....its already creating issues, so I don't know what the long term will bring as far as this program goes.

Comment

I have never heard of a sheriff's office that does that, once a rank has been attained, one doesn't have to accept a demotion in order to transfer to a patrol assignment.

It sure is a strange policy. I'm surprised your Union/Association would vote for that agreement.
                        They never had much say in it....the rank and file (for the most part) does not like the dual career path....patrol training used to be mandatory, and if you failed twice you were demoted or told to kick rocks.

btw...hows the academy going, recruit?

Comment

Life is good, I love holidays especially with pay!

I was a reserve officer prior to this so it's really not that new to me. I have a leg up on my classmates.

FYI Mr. Smarty Pants Dep, my ID card doesn't say Recruit, it says Deputy! We get issued our ID card and badge during the in house orientation/core class training before the academy starts.
                          You're that guy... I can tell...
                          Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
                          Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
                          It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

I have never heard of a sheriff's office that does that, once a rank has been attained, one doesn't have to accept a demotion in order to transfer to a patrol assignment.

It sure is a strange policy. I'm surprised your Union/Association would vote for that agreement.
                            Santa Ana does this as well. You can promote to Corporal and would have to give it up if you went to an assignment that did not have a corporal opening like gangs, or detectives. Once you come back to patrol or take a vacant corporal spot, you can get your stripes back.

Comment

Well, since its illegal to actually swear you in until after you have actually completed the basic POST academy , I don't care what your ID card says. You aren't a Deputy , Officer , etc yet. You are nothing more than a recruit.

And as someone already pointed out "that guy"

As one of the other long term posters likes to say "have the best day ever "

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6713 users online. 354 members and 6359 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X